Gosh I don't know...feeling i am way behind | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Gosh I don't know...feeling i am way behind Gosh I don't know...feeling i am way behind

Unread 05-03-2010, 12:30 PM
Gosh I don't know...feeling i am way behind

I had my TAH on April 13th, so it will be three weeks tomorrow. When I went into this I had expectations of feeling great by this time...80% is what I was told. There is no way. I was hoping to be back to work next week, 4 weeks PO. I am reading on here how others are walking miles etc. I have tried to walk and 15 minutes is my max and that is at slow pace! I still get a major pain on my left side, where I have to sit down or pull my knee up and hunch to pressure, the doc said it was due to some new sutures on the Fascia layer and nerve endings in that area.

I am getting extremely down and hubby is getting upset that I am this. I mean I have had 2 csections and a gastric bypass and was much better much sooner.

I still have to take Darvocet a couple times a week if it gets too bad. I could not ever use the Ibuprofen etc, as having the gastric bypass it causes a lot of pain, thus I have taken any anti-inflammatories.

I really thought I would be back to work by May 10 - 4 weeks PO, but I just don't see that happening being how tired and hurt I get from walking.

Am I really that far behind in recovery? I have read that so many are doing so much and back to normal so fast, but I just feel like this surgery is kicking my butt! I am anemic and am due for my IV Iron treatment next month as I get them every 6 months. Could this have anything to do with me recovery so slowly..

Sorry just really frustrated and getting depressed. i usually bounce back quickly, but this surgery has my butt kicked physically and emotionally.

Amanda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2010, 12:46 PM
Re: Gosh I don't know...feeling i am way behind

Week 3 was my hardest week... personally! As time passes you might find that with every good day you have two or so bad days... You will feel better! I just now got a NICE pair of pants on and squished my incision area into them... Don't get me wrong, I am achy there just not as bad as week three... and the support feels soo good from the pants. I was beginning to think I'd never see my size 4/6 jeans again but after today I have more hope!

We all heal differently... just because other girls are doing better than some of us and walking 5 miles a day week three, doesn't mean it is normal LoL can you get your iron checked and if you are low will they be able to administer the shot a few weeks early? Wouldn't hurt

Here's Post Op Check point weeks 3-4...
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/view_postop34.htm
Now for me I was a week behind everyone else and had to simply remember that... You will feel better and better... just give it time.. They say measure your improvements by weeks not days - ok

Keep pampering yourself and listening to your body.. it knows best!! Don't compare yourself to others.. it's a waste of energy... Believe me, I know!

~*Healing Hugs*~
Unread 05-03-2010, 12:55 PM

I think you do have to look at the surgical approach (TAH) compared to others. I can see that TAH has a bit longer recovery so don't compare yourself to someone who had a lap procedure, they seem to have pain under control a bit earlier (in general, not everyone). That seems early to return to work. I went back to heavy work after a TVH but hadnt had pain in a couple wks by then, and many wait 6-8 wks to work. You are doing pretty well for 3 wks, that is actually pretty early on. Things do pick up after that point, or did for me. Try to give it time and realize it is major surgery, and different from your other procedures. Good luck with the rest of your recovery. It gets better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2010, 01:26 PM

Yes, I agree with the other Ladies, you seem to be doing fine. Not to mention, if you have multiple health issues, like anemia, going on, this will factor into things. I have other health issues too, so this was my case as well. Some women may take months, to regain energy, and it seems to wax and wane as time goes on.

I don't mean to discourage you by saying that 1 yr post op, I still have some issues with my energy level (I'm 48 yo, & have been generally okay health-wise), but I've read that this can be expected for some women. It is a HUGE body adjustment having a TAH, and it takes time for the rest of your body to recognise these changes and pick up the slack.

Try to be easy on yourself and baby yourself through this. Comfort yourself and just go at your own pace. I myself took lortab for almost 2 months post op. My Dr. had no problem with this. I did want to get off of it as soon as I could since it was disrupting my digestion, but treating the pain was more important to me initially. You'll know when you're feeling well enough to do things, so just go with your instincts and your Dr's. advice.

Take care
chorse
Unread 05-03-2010, 03:24 PM

I had my TAH on March 9th. I still am not 100%. I thought by week 4 I'd be good. Up and at 'em. But I was so very wrong. That depressed me and made things worse. I couldn't walk for long periods or at a normal pace either. Wear you're binder, it really helps. Tomorrow will be eight weeks. I went back to my desk job last week full-time. By Friday I was exhausted and couldn't make it in. I tried to do everything (cook, clean, run kids around and work). I definately over did it. Friends tried to tell me that this surgery will wear you out and the recovery is long. I hear them now. I can't fit into all my pants yet, even though I've lost weight. My stomach is too tender and poochy. I'm still emotional too.

Bright side - it gets better each week. I have more good days than bad. Especially when I listen to my body. When you're tired - rest! It'll make a world of difference the next day. Hang in there. It may not feel like it, but you'll be better soon.

Good luck with returning to work. If you are sitting, bring a pillow and get up often. If you are standing, wear comfortable shoes and your binder and sit down/rest when you need to.

Take Care
Unread 05-03-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae1_10 View Post
I had my TAH on April 13th, so it will be three weeks tomorrow. When I went into this I had expectations of feeling great by this time...80% is what I was told. There is no way. I was hoping to be back to work next week, 4 weeks PO. I am reading on here how others are walking miles etc. I have tried to walk and 15 minutes is my max and that is at slow pace! I still get a major pain on my left side, where I have to sit down or pull my knee up and hunch to pressure, the doc said it was due to some new sutures on the Fascia layer and nerve endings in that area.

I am getting extremely down and hubby is getting upset that I am this. I mean I have had 2 csections and a gastric bypass and was much better much sooner.

I still have to take Darvocet a couple times a week if it gets too bad. I could not ever use the Ibuprofen etc, as having the gastric bypass it causes a lot of pain, thus I have taken any anti-inflammatories.

I really thought I would be back to work by May 10 - 4 weeks PO, but I just don't see that happening being how tired and hurt I get from walking.

Am I really that far behind in recovery? I have read that so many are doing so much and back to normal so fast, but I just feel like this surgery is kicking my butt! I am anemic and am due for my IV Iron treatment next month as I get them every 6 months. Could this have anything to do with me recovery so slowly..

Sorry just really frustrated and getting depressed. i usually bounce back quickly, but this surgery has my butt kicked physically and emotionally.

Amanda
I am almost 5 week post-op TAH(ovaries removed) and I still have bad days where I over do thing. Don't be so hard on yourself and don't compare your recovery with someone elses. We all recover differently. You mentioned that you had 2 c-sections and gastric bypass, I had 4 c-sections before this surgery and in my opinion there is no comparison. Well maybe one, where they make the incision.

It is much more invasive to have a hysterectomy. They have removed organs, moved things around in there, cut ligament, muscle and more nerves than a c-section. Just rest and listen to the signs your body is giving you. I know how frustrating it can be to expect yourself to be better faster, and how frustrating it can be to want to do things(work, housework, laundry, driving your kids around).

You just gotta give it more time(I should be heeding my own advice...LOL) Hang in there Amanda, it will get better.

Sending you lots of Hugs and best wishes.
Unread 05-03-2010, 04:33 PM

I agree with the other sisters - everyone heals at their own pace. I freaked out when I read of the MILES some are walking - no way will I be doing that at all. I am 2 weeks post-op and doing several short (2 minutes)sessions on my treadmill a few times a day as well as getting out of bed several times and wandering about the house. Just do things at your own pace - you will soon know if you are overdoing it.

It really is a MAJOR operation and all sort of things happened to our insides and it is going to take time to recover. Don't compare your progress to the sisters who had have less invasive procedures than ours.
Unread 05-03-2010, 05:38 PM

Thank you all so much!!! I so needed to hear this from those experienced. I was able to go to the store and walk very slowly with my little one pushing the cart and me steering and walked about 25 minutes and that was all my body could handle. I came home and slept the rest of the afternoon, really hard, as I didn't even notice my hubby had picked up my son from school and it is after 6.

Thanks again. I just feel so emotional about all this and it is really throwing me. In life we seem to be superwoman with all we do with little ones, working and I go to college at night also, and this surgery has really set me in my place, saying sit back. I have more time off if needed from work, but I was highly expecting at one month to be back, thus disrupted, and my professors have been wonderful in giving me extra time. Those first couple weeks I was on the darvocet for pain and I couldn't even focus on school work, so I am a bit behind, but they couldn't be more supportive of me.

Thanks for hearing me out and giving me an emotional boost that I am ok and will be ok!

Regards,

Amanda
Unread 05-03-2010, 06:40 PM

Please don't be so hard on yourself. It takes time to heal. If you have any other medical problems, it will probably take longer. I am now almost eight months post surgery and still in recovery phase. I am working but still get so tired it isn't funny. I have medical problems not associated with this and they have all decided to join the party. I have had infections and illnesses over and over. Take it from someone who pushed themselves way too hard, don't do it. I am paying the price now so take it easy and let yourself heal. If I could do one thing over again, it would be to let myself heal and not hurry back to work and push myself. don't do what I did and compare your recovery to someone else. All that ends up happening is you will slow your recovery and may have really bad problems. Sending you tons of hugs. Just be patient and you will heal.
Unread 05-03-2010, 08:43 PM

I've got iron issues too and because of the constipating effect of my iron tabs, i'm going to wait till my intestines are closer to 'normal' before i start back with them. Meanwhile, cream of wheat every morning and walking around the house and yard once an hour (between naps, that is) is enough to tire me out so i sleep half decently at night. I'm not counting miles (or inches even) i'm going by how often i can make "the trip" and how tired i am afterwards. Don't push too hard and don't judge your progress by others. Listen to your body... after all, no one else can hear it!

I don't seem to be going great guns in the healing area either, and i suspect that its due to iron issues because that's what the red blood cells use to transport all sorts of goodies around the body. Take your time.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register