Should I Believe My Doctor? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Should I Believe My Doctor? Should I Believe My Doctor?

Unread 05-05-2010, 08:40 AM
Should I Believe My Doctor?

I am having a DaVinci Total Hysterectomy on May 12 and will not have any ovaries after the surgery. I am 47 years old and my biggest concern is the menopausal symptoms after the surgery. I love my doctor because he is very positive but should I believe him when he says I "may not" have any menopausal symptoms after the surgery due to my age? He is taking a "let's wait and see" approach. I have not had any menopausal symptoms to-date and can't imagine that my body will just accept the fact that my ovaries are gone!

I was hoping that others could detail their experiences post-op with menopausal symptoms and wondering if anyone avoided HRT entirely.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-05-2010, 08:55 AM
Re: Should I Believe My Doctor?

Well, let's hope you are one of the lucky ones! Some doctors, though, start women on a low dose of estrogen right after surgery. My doc said I wouldn't need them because I was post-menopausal, but I started having night sweats right away, so my poor little ovaries were doing something...just not much... anyway, I started on a low dose of HRT and am doing great. So, hope for the best, but prepare for the alternative... I also had the da Vinci and was really happy with the procedure. Good luck to you!!
Unread 05-05-2010, 09:18 AM

You may not---or you may, so I guess he's covered there. I did, and I'm post menopausal so was told I'd see no difference. I don't think its possible to say in advance but if he's prepared to deal with symptoms you may have, seems reasonable to wait and see. Maybe you'll be lucky, I hope so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-05-2010, 09:43 AM

I had surgery on March 23 and so far only symptoms I have had are light night sweats. I have not started on hormones. Waiting to see if other symptoms appear or not. I am 51 and had already been having hot flashes and they have almost stopped since surgery.
Unread 05-05-2010, 11:31 AM

Only time will tell, unfortunately!

Even in menopause, the ovaries secrete trace amounts of hormones. Hence, post menopausal women who have an oophorectomy (removal of both ovaries) can experience surgical menopause symptoms.

Additionally, some residual hormones can linger a bit, putting off when one starts experiencing surgical menopause symptoms.

Also, fat cells can produce and store estrogen so heavier women may find they have fewer symptoms than smaller women.

It is not uncommon for doctors to take a wait and see approach; and it is not uncommon for them to try to treat surgical menopause preemptively! You might want to ask your doctor what reasons cause him to believe you won't have symptoms. That could help you determine if you believe him or not!

As an aside, you can always seek a second opinion!

s
Unread 05-05-2010, 11:55 AM

I had the DaVinci total hysterectomy on March 18 when I was 47 (I turned 48 two days later). My Dr. took a wait and see on HRT too. It has turned out that I did start menopause symptoms a week after surgery. I am on hrt now and it has gone better than I thought. I take a combi patch which has gone well.

I trusted my Dr. and I too was worried about how life was going to be after surgery and it has gone well.

Wishing you a wonderful outcome!
Unread 05-06-2010, 08:59 PM

I had a TAH / BSO on 3/1/10 for a bowling-ball size fibroid. Am 44 years old and was pre-menopausal. Dr told me the advantages of BSO but never mentioned the well-studied disadvantages even after I asked. He said HRT would not be a problem, he'd start me right away. Well, he didn't start me until 2 wks postop, w/ raging hot flashes. First, I feel I was deceived into the BSO. There's a study in the Ob/Gyn journal May 2009, of 30000 nurses over 30 years regarding the benefits of preserving ovaires. If I had been told pre-op what that study said, I'd never have allowed the BSO. Secondly, I feel lied to because at my post-op appointment, he called me a liar for claiming that he promised to start HRT right away, and for stating that my friends had gotten HRT right away ("That's not possible, it's not done that way," he said.) Two wks post-op, Dr started me on oral HRT, low dose, got no response, he raised the dose, no response. By now, I'm 6 wks postop and he told me I should be "as good as new". I'm not. Dr implies that I must have had these problems pre-op, or that it is just in my head. Lab test proved I wasn't absorbing oral HRT, he switched me to a low dose patch. Still have symptoms that interfere w/ life to the point I cannot function, cannot resume my work. I just received the insurance EOB for the procedures, and phoned my insurance. Looks like my ovaries were worth about $2000 for him! I realize there is a psychological overlay -- my anger toward his deception is a major factor, and have therefore chosen to change caregivers. I hope I feel a lot of trust in her at next Tuesday's appt. and I hope that we can sort out the hormone replacement issues quickly. I know all women respond differently, and can only wish you luck Magpieboo!
Unread 03-25-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamose View Post
I had a TAH / BSO on 3/1/10 for a bowling-ball size fibroid. Am 44 years old and was pre-menopausal. Dr told me the advantages of BSO but never mentioned the well-studied disadvantages even after I asked. He said HRT would not be a problem, he'd start me right away. Well, he didn't start me until 2 wks postop, w/ raging hot flashes. First, I feel I was deceived into the BSO. There's a study in the Ob/Gyn journal May 2009, of 30000 nurses over 30 years regarding the benefits of preserving ovaires. If I had been told pre-op what that study said, I'd never have allowed the BSO. Secondly, I feel lied to because at my post-op appointment, he called me a liar for claiming that he promised to start HRT right away, and for stating that my friends had gotten HRT right away ("That's not possible, it's not done that way," he said.) Two wks post-op, Dr started me on oral HRT, low dose, got no response, he raised the dose, no response. By now, I'm 6 wks postop and he told me I should be "as good as new". I'm not. Dr implies that I must have had these problems pre-op, or that it is just in my head. Lab test proved I wasn't absorbing oral HRT, he switched me to a low dose patch. Still have symptoms that interfere w/ life to the point I cannot function, cannot resume my work. I just received the insurance EOB for the procedures, and phoned my insurance. Looks like my ovaries were worth about $2000 for him! I realize there is a psychological overlay -- my anger toward his deception is a major factor, and have therefore chosen to change caregivers. I hope I feel a lot of trust in her at next Tuesday's appt. and I hope that we can sort out the hormone replacement issues quickly. I know all women respond differently, and can only wish you luck Magpieboo!
I know exactly how you feel, I also feel I wasn't given enough info on the subject, I will always regret having had my ovaries removed for no real reason, Drs make it seem like no big deal and assure you that HRT is a piece of cake and that's not the case at all.
My Dr told me how ovarian cancer can't be detected on time and how people die of it, but comparing to how I feel right now and contemplating taking fake hormones for at least 10 more years, what quality of life are we left with?
I keep struggling with HRT, Bioidenticals or synthetic, it's so hard to find the right kind and then the right dose, it's just a nightmare really.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register