Thinking of just get CT scan and cancelling PET/CT scan | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Thinking of just get CT scan and cancelling PET/CT scan Thinking of just get CT scan and cancelling PET/CT scan

Unread 05-05-2010, 03:55 PM
Thinking of just get CT scan and cancelling PET/CT scan

So I am thinking of only getting the CT scan and skipping the PET/CT scan. Let me explain, the doctors tell me that whether cancer is there or not, they expect alot to light up due to inflammation and scarring due to all I've been thru. And that it is going to be difficult for the radiologist to interpret. Which we all know leads to unnecessary scares, late nites worrying, and unnecessary painful tests. I am already scheduled for EUA in June either way. Plus I have had a switch in insurance companies, meaning my share for the PET/CT has gone up DRAMATICALLY, reason enuf right there I suppose, as I could not afford this increase on top of the other costs, knowing I am having surgery. And now the doctors believe if I am for it cancer or no cancer, I deserve that new vagina. Which I believe I do to and want it no matter what.

I'm only going to agree to the CT scan at this point. I hope I made sense. Thought I'd come here where people get this, and get that it is quite EXPENSIVE and sometimes our monthly budget and finances have to play a role in our decision making even when it comes to our health. I figure a CT scan is better than no scan at all and given what the docs are saying, mine will lite up not matter what, meaning false positives, I would (as Ellen would say)be wasting a good panic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-05-2010, 07:16 PM
Re: Thinking of just get CT scan and cancelling PET/CT scan

When I first read the title I thought "WHAT is she THINKING?!"...then I read your reasoning. After everything you've been though, the last thing you need is uneccisary reason for concern. If the docs have already agreed to surgery, what would dealing with false "spots" help?

I feel if getting th CT scan alone will bring you peace of mind...why waste money that could be used elsewhere? It almost sounds as if the PET scan would cause more trouble than anything. If its one thing you do NOT need, its additional reason for concern. I guess what I'm saying is that I agree with you.
Unread 05-05-2010, 07:19 PM

Sounds like you've decided. Hope the CT results are OK and the procedure goes well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-06-2010, 10:21 AM

sometimes, Drs. order tests, just to cover themselves, in case you ask "why didn't I get that". Also, for some it's just their normal routine for this sort of thing. So, saying no, is certainly your right, and your Doc, will probably agree with your reasoning. He/she probably just needed you to say it. But I just know that the ct scan is going to be fine, and you are finally going to get your new vagina, and everything from here on out will be all good news.
Unread 05-06-2010, 01:20 PM

I agree with everyone.... I have had enough of the ct scans also... My cost just for those is $1000.00 out of my pocket... cant' imagine what a PET would run.
I might even go one step further and say why do it at all if they are going ahead anyway...
Unread 05-06-2010, 02:58 PM

That is what I was thinking also, why bother when I am going to have surgery anyway. I do agree with the CT scan, but the PET is going to cost me alot with my switch in insurance, and if they already know it is going to lite up due to inflammation and scarring, and have no faith in the person reading it, why put me thru all that? Especially the worrying, which we all know I do so very well, shoot we all do that! LOL
Unread 05-06-2010, 03:01 PM

The docs also agree with me that even if there is a spot there that I deserve to go thru with the vaginal reconstruction and if need be heal and get more chemo. (PRAYING it isn't going to come to that). BUT, they agree to go thru with the reconstruction as a quality of life since I am healthy and functioning well. As you know I have no cuff, but just an open cavity down there with the constant drainage, not a discharge cause it is coming from my open cavity. I explained that this is no life because I have to limit activities to prevent too much drainage, and I will not enjoy any summer activities as I could not enjoy water activities. Tampons are a no go, I tried, but the drainage is too much for those, and I am getting sick and tired of keeping Kotex in business! LOL

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register