pre-cancerous??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

pre-cancerous??? pre-cancerous???

Unread 05-06-2010, 10:32 AM
pre-cancerous???

Hey guys, new here. I just posted on the newbie site, and not quite sure if concerns belong in this forum, but here it goes. June 2009, first abnormal PAP, one GYN wanted to follow in 1 month, my regular GYN said 6 months. So I had my 2nd PAP on Dec 24, 2009. Got my results a week later that they were still abnormal. Had the colposcopy, and the results came back low level precancerous tissue. My GYN scheduled cryo the next week and felt very certain that this would do the trick. So I just received my follow up PAP results and still abnormal! Didn't change a bit. So I'm thinking Hys, since I have 3 kids and a tubal 2 years ago. Also all the women on my mom's side of the family have had hysterectomies by age 40(my mom precancerous). I'm thinking that I don't want to mess around and put off what seems to be the inevitable. My GYN however, would prefer to do a cone and uterine ablation, but agreed to the hys if that is what I wanted (scheduled for 6-30-10). I have also been battling ovarian cysts for the past 8 years or so.
I am so confused. I don't want to put myself at undue risk. But what's riskier...having the hys and getting it over with...or doing the cone, and possibly needing the hys anyway?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-06-2010, 10:49 AM
Re: pre-cancerous???

It seems as if you've made your decision to go with the hyster. Considering your family history (almost spelled the HYSTory LOL) and the fact you are already looking at pre-cancerous cells, can't say that I blame you.

There are definately risks to both sides, but only you can chose which option is best for you and your family.
Unread 05-06-2010, 11:30 AM

I recently went through a similar decision making process. I was initally deciding between a hysterectomy or ablation for prolonged bleeding (47yrs and PCOS). When my endometrial biopsy came back showing complex hyperplasia (pre-cancer), I pretty much decided right then and there to go for the hyster. I don't have a very strong family history of gyn cancers, but I have an 11 year old daughter and I felt I needed to do everything to assure a good outcome for her sake. And we lost my mother-in-law to ovarian ca a year ago, so we have already been through a lot. Then my D&C came back positive for endometrial cancer, so I have to have the hyster and BSO anyway. I think you just have to look at what will give you and your family the most peace-of-mind in the long run. Make a decision that feels right for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-07-2010, 08:23 AM

Hello. Welcome to this forum. Many of us here have been where you are. You found the right place!

Please consider seeing a gyn oncologist for this procedure and any followups. Gyn oncologists study and work in this area, exclusively.

Please also learn a lot more about HPV. HPV is what is causing your precancerous readings. Having a hyst will NOT reduce your chances for further precancerous cells. A hyst might remove the currently precancerous cells, but it will not preclude your ever having to deal with this again. HPV, a virus, is what is causing your existing cells to deteriorate. You will always have HPV. Your body is seeking to fight off the consequences of your having it, and evidently it's not working out very well.

Please learn a bit more about HPV before making any final decisions. Once you have a hyst, the HPV can then attack what's left - your vagina, the introit, the labia, the anus - you name it, whatever's left there can also be placed under the same duress. I know this well: I live with this condition.

That's the good news. As long as you continue to get your checkups, and go through whatever treatments are recommended, you'll live. You are one of the lucky ones.
Unread 05-07-2010, 09:41 AM

A heartfelt thank you to you guys who took the time to respond on this. I'm a nurse, so of course I research the heck out of anything I do to my body. I have decided to stick with my original decision and have the hys. I researched the cone and ablation and found that the natural healing and scarring process (whether cold knife or laser) can alter future diagnostic sampling of the tissue. Meaning you might not catch those subtle changes early. This information actually solidified my decision. I will definitely have more peace of mind knowing that at least those areas are gone, and not to be worried about again.

And Blue, thank you. I have researched the HPV factor. One test
came back positive, and one negative. Go figure However, I tend to believe if it is going to spread its going to spread, whichever procedure I choose. Not able to find ongoing treatment recommendations, however. Most say "it resolves on it's own ". If you know of ant further info it would be greatly appreciated

Thanks again to everyone here, yall are truly an amazing group of gals
Unread 05-07-2010, 11:48 AM

Hi, again, Sassy. The truth is, it does and it doesn't resolve on its own. For many women, it *can* resolve on its own, meaning the immune system battles HPV with success. And for some of us, it is likely not to resolve. Some of us don't have immune systems that can resist the HPV. My hyst was in 2006, and I've had surgery every year thereafter. Laser ablation is the typical method, post-hyst, though this last time (just this past Tuesday), my gyn onc removed twelve tissue samples and decided not to laser.

Doctors typically do hysts for women your age and older, simply because it has proven cost effective to do it that way.

You're right: the excess scar tissue (from cones and LEEP procedures) atrophies and presents a site for the HPV to take hold again. But having the hyst is no guarantee. For some of us, as for me, it's just the first step on the journey.

Still, you are lucky. Yours was caught, and you are able to get treatment. That's worth celebrating.
Unread 07-16-2010, 06:55 AM

i have had many abnormal pap results, countless cone bio's, lleetz, that a thing and my tubes r tied too. i have 3 kids and am 31.

i am doing the hyst because in the long run it will save me getting cancer...or so i thought.

i will have lots to ask the gyno.

it is si comforting to know there r others going thru the same.
keep us informed in what u do.
tale care
Unread 07-17-2010, 07:44 AM

i am new here and in a similar situation to u.
wow i am finding this 'similar situation' to happen so often!

I am doing the same thing as u.
after reading ur post just now, i was thinking 'hell yeah get that hysto woman!'

why do i even question the same for me.

hun, lets me serious, another ablation, cone or lleetz may not be enough and if we are done having kids and are happy with what we have, then why not.

make our life a hell of alot easier won't it?

i know, it's hard. Like I said, i am doing the same....i just wrote a post questioning a hyst when all the facts point to nothing but.

lets do it before cancer gets the better of us.
=)
Unread 07-21-2010, 01:49 PM

OK gals, I had the hyst on june 30th, lap assisted vag. The dr left my right ovary, because he did not want me to go into early menopause. On the pathology results there was still no change from the previous paps on the cervix, the uterine patho showed adenomyosis, and the ovary was normal. So now it feels like a tremendous weight has been lifted from me. I've had some post anesthesia issues, but post surgical has been completely uneventful.
This was a huge decision for me, as it is for everyone else. However, I feel that this was the best decision for me, my family, and my mental well being. I believe that whatever decision 'feels' right for you IS the right decision.
Good luck to all that are facing 'similar situations', I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers
Unread 07-21-2010, 02:47 PM

CONGRATS on the path report! Remember to take it easy and listen to your body as you continue to heal.

Here's to many happy, healthy years!

monami

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register