Made it home! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Made it home! Made it home!

Unread 10-13-2001, 05:14 AM
Made it home!

Hi to all,
Made it home from the castle yesterday 10-12. Had the surgery done on Tues 10-09. Felt good to be back in my own surroundings again!
But, I feel soooo tired and have a stinging type pain at the incision with alot of pain up in the right side. My doctor offered me a pain prescription but I said no, that I thought I had enough strong pain meds. in the hospital and would try taking Advil. She told me I should reconsider----but did I listen. "NO" I think now maybe I made a mistake and especially after I have read some of your post-op messages about the pain. If no better on Monday then I will call her back.
I know this will all pass in time, just have to find the patience! Took a nap yesterday afternoon and when I got up, I was still just as tired as when I went to lay down!!!
For me, I know this still was the right decision to have the surgery done......but I have to find some patience to let this heal and to let my family help me. My family is so excited for me to know that I won't have anymore painful extended periods twice a month but for some reason I can't get that far in my thoughts. I can only deal with today and what is going on. Maybe it's just to soon? If anyone as thoughts to this--let me know. I am so glad that you are all out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-13-2001, 05:22 AM
Made it home!

Hi Nancy, welcome home to the new !!

Please reconsider your decision about accepting pain meds. There are a few ladies who report not needing prescription meds post-op, but the vast majority of us need the pain meds for at least the first week or two. I took Percocet for the first 2 weeks that I was home, then was able to comfortably get by with ibuprofen as needed.

There is really no need for you to suffer unnecessarily. Since you're having pain now, place a call to your Dr's. service so you don't have to go through the entire weekend suffering. When we experience a lot of pain, it actually hinders the healing process.

In the meantime, remember to lots, feet up; lots of non-carbonated fluids and take short walks around the house.

Let us know how you make out as you feel up to it, ok? Best wishes and 's
Unread 10-13-2001, 06:05 AM
Made it home!

Nancy - Welcome home. I agree with Tina...please call the afterhours #....the dr. on call can phone in a prescription to your pharamacy. It's important to be as comfortable as possible the first few weeks so you can totally focus on healing. It DOES get better...just takes awhile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-13-2001, 07:16 AM
Made it home!

Nancy, welcome to the 'other side'! And, like Dot and Tina said, please call your dr. to get a prescription! As your anesthesia comes out of your system, you may feel the pain more intensely! And, just because you HAVE the prescription doesn't mean you have to use it all if you find that you don't need it! This is the time where you need to rest COMFORTABLY (or as comfortably as possible) and there will probably be times when you'll appreciate the extra comfort that the meds can provide! Good luck!

In peace, Sue :ribbon:
Unread 10-13-2001, 11:19 AM
Pain Meds???????

Welcome to the other side

I was one of the fortunate ones that did not need anything stronger than Advil or Extra Strenght Tylenol when I got home. But I actually asked my dr just before leaving the castle for a pain med prescription for Percocet just in case I needed it. Why did I do that?

After reading many post here in preparation for my hyster I came to realize that with my previous surgery for cystocele and rectocele repair that I had not managed my pain very well and that I had actually hindered my recovery process. How you may asked? I believe that since I was using all of my available energies to deal with the pain that I did not have the necessary strenght to focus on recovering. I was so pulled down from the pain that I had little strenght left to eat or get up and walk. When I had pain medication I was able to get up and walk, have some appetite, take care of my personal hygiene witch by the way sure boost the moral. But because I did not stay on top of the pain the whole process became like a roller coster ride and I was going nowhere fast. So this time I promised myself that I was going to stay ahead of the game and that's why I asked for the prescription for pain meds. If I needed them I would have them and would not feel guilty in using them. It turned out that I never used the prescription because I experienced more discomfort than pain from about the 3rd day on. Even with discomfort I took tylenol so that I would feel well enought to walk, drink, and rest. I have been very thankfull for the knowledge that I learned from this site. It has truly make a difference in my recovery.

Please get some relief for your pain so that you can focuss all your energies in healing. Take care, and please come back and let us know how you are doing.
Unread 10-13-2001, 06:48 PM
update!!!!

Hi again,
Just an update to my earlier posted message from today. I called my doctor's answering service and had to take the doctor on call. You'll never believe what happened!
She called me back and I explained how dumb I had been and had not taken the prescription yesterday when I was discharged and now I was hurting. I asked if she could call me in a prescription for the percocet and she said she could not because it was a narcotic and it couldn't be done by telephone. She was at a hospital 1\2 hr away from me at the maternity ward and she could leave a written prescription there with the nurses and someone in my family could pick it up there and then get it filled for me. At the time no one was home with me but someone above was watching over me because the next thing I knew was that my brother-in-law called to see how I was doing and by then I was close to tears! So he went and picked it up for me and got the prescription filled and delivered it to me!! I am only taking 1 every 4 hrs because 2 I know will kill the pain but it makes me way too "loopy". Don't like the feeling! Taking the 1 kills most of the pain which is a great relief.
So now I am doing much better.....thanks for all the caring!
Unread 10-13-2001, 07:19 PM
good for you Nancy!!

Hi Nancy,
I am glad to hear you took the meds. that's crazy to not
take any pain meds after major surgery even if you dont
"think" you need it, at some point during recovery from major
surgery we all need some pain med.

LAY down and enjoy the pain releif!!!

Take care!

gwen
Unread 10-13-2001, 07:58 PM
Made it home!

Thank you for the update. You will find that it gets better everyday. Glad the meds are helping. Please remember to , , and the most important . Take care,
Unread 10-14-2001, 12:22 PM
hi craftie ladi

I had surgery the same day as you! The doctor gave me vicoden for pain. At first I took it more and tapered off as I could. She also gave me the motrin 600 which I had an allergic reaction to.(horrible migraine, vomiting and itching) So I used acetemophin instead.
Last night for the first time I stopped the vicoden. It makes me naseated so I'm happy at that.
In fact this is the first day I could sit here and actually type.
Good luck to You!
Lilka
Unread 10-14-2001, 06:13 PM
Made it home!

Nancy...glad you got your pain meds! My dr. told me in the hospital, when I told her I hadn't had any pain meds all day, that 'you don't get any points for being a hero'! Well, I got her point as she really wanted me to feel and heal well!

Keep us posted!

In peace, Sue :ribbon:

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register