Adenomyosis anyone? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Adenomyosis anyone? Adenomyosis anyone?

Unread 05-14-2010, 12:37 PM
Adenomyosis anyone?

I am 10 days LSH post op. I kept my ovaries and cervix. My DR told me today that the testing done on my removed uterus showed adenomyosis cells in the muscle which could have been the cause of my clotting and heavy bleeding. I did a little research online about the condition but was unclear whether adenomyosis cells can live in the cervix or not. I will have to ask when I go in again in a few weeks but figured I'd see if anyone has done any research on this. Thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-14-2010, 12:47 PM
Re: Adenomyosis anyone?

My pathology report showed focal adenomyosis and a dozen fibroids in all layers of my ueterus. I dont know what the difference is between adenomyosis and focal adenomyosis. I was having a lot of pain. My doctor told me before hand that he was going to remove my cervix also because he said that maybe the pain was also coming from the cervix. It was kind of unknown. I am 5 weeks 3 days post op. No bleeding or spotting. So nice. I dont know whether this helps any or not but that is what I was told. Good luck with your recovery!
Unread 05-14-2010, 03:06 PM

I think maybe your doc meant to say endometrial cells, not adenomyosis cells. Adenomyosis is a condition in which the endometrial cells (of the endometrium that build and shed monthly) that invade the myometrium (muscle of the uterus) where they should not be. The uterus is then not able to contract as it should for blood and tissue to shed normally, hence the enlarging uterus. Focal says that it is a particular spot or section of the uterus and not encompassing the whole interior uterus. The cervix is the bottom portion of the uterus and does have endometrial cells. Usually during surgery, your doctor cauterizes this tissue to prevent a mini period later on, somtimes some people need silver nitrate to stop all bleeding which can be done in office. From my experience, adenomyosis does cause large, well defined clots and heavy bleeding. I had alot of other things going on as well, pain on a daily basis being my main issue. Hope this helps!

Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2_queen View Post
I think maybe your doc meant to say endometrial cells, not adenomyosis cells. Adenomyosis is a condition in which the endometrial cells (of the endometrium that build and shed monthly) that invade the myometrium (muscle of the uterus) where they should not be. The uterus is then not able to contract as it should for blood and tissue to shed normally, hence the enlarging uterus. Focal says that it is a particular spot or section of the uterus and not encompassing the whole interior uterus. The cervix is the bottom portion of the uterus and does have endometrial cells. Usually during surgery, your doctor cauterizes this tissue to prevent a mini period later on, somtimes some people need silver nitrate to stop all bleeding which can be done in office. From my experience, adenomyosis does cause large, well defined clots and heavy bleeding. I had alot of other things going on as well, pain on a daily basis being my main issue. Hope this helps!

I'm not sure which post you were mentioning in your response but when my DR told me about the adenomyosis I asked her to write the term down on a piece of paper so I could read about it later, so I know it was the correct term. She did mention that she cauterized things so I hopefully won't get the mini period so I didn't know if that meant I shouldn't have problems with adenomyosis in the cervix.
Unread 05-15-2010, 08:50 AM

Sorry, I was referring to both posts...oops. Adenomyosis is the correct term for the condition. My DR told me having the hysterectomy was the "cure" for the Adeno. The only thing I have to worry about now is if I will have the dreaded "mini period"...I kept my cervix as well. So far, I have not had any mini periods..YAY! But, it's still early, so I am still mindfull that it could happen from all the posts I've read others have made about it. I have my fingers crossed though. =) Good Luck with your recovery!!
Unread 05-23-2010, 10:37 PM

When I had my emergency TAH, they found Adenomyosis which helped explain the amount of severe pain and bleeding I was having. It is a nasty disease to add on top of endo! I hope you don't have any further problems with it!
Unread 05-23-2010, 11:05 PM

I've suffered with Adeno for almost 3 years now, & finally had my TAH on 5/5. Its almost impossible to diagnose pre-op...they can look for an enlarged uterus on an MRI & rule out everything else, but the only 100% diagnosis is after the hyster & when the uterus goes to pathology.

My insurance tried to deny my surgery because there was no test/scan confirming that it was "medically necessary." My GYN had to have a phone conference with a panel of doctors from my insurance company, educate them on Adenomyosis, & in the end he basically told them that if they were going to deny coverage, to have a GYN call & tell him why. (my doctor is a bada$$ btw)

Adeno had made the last 3 years of my life hell....the first 6 months I spent trying to find a doctor that could diagnose my chronic pain & not tell me it was all in my head. Then the last 2 1/2 years has been spent in a narcotic-induced haze a la those worthless pain mgmt doctors.

Despite the complications that I am now dealing with (as I type from my hospital bed) I am so happy I finally had my hyster!!!

Adenomyosis = BAD!
Unread 05-24-2010, 12:33 AM

Hi,

I'd suffered from Adenomyosis for 7 long years. Finally had TLH done. Which means cervix has also been removed. dunno if this was specifically because of adenomyosis, but I had endometriosis also that could have been the reason.
Unread 05-24-2010, 07:50 AM

I hope all you ladies are finding as much relief as I have from having the surgery. Wow hrao1376, 7 years !!...you are my new hero. I was the queen of denial (in hindsight). I actually went to the doctor because I thought I had a bad cyst/tumor on my left ovary ( which I tried to ignore for way too long). Anybody experienced any pleasant/surprising "fixes" from this surgery? For instance, I had a "bad back" before all this started (bulging disk would flare up from time to time) so when I was having constant back aches..I thought it was due to that...I was diagnosed with IBS 3 years ago (at the start of symptoms for Adeno) and I thought alot of my swelling/bloating was due to that. I could go on, I didn't expect to be cured of all my aches & pains by having this surgery, but it has and I am amazed. Amazed that I waited so long, that I put up with that daily pain & even worse pain during my periods. Another thing is they found endometriosis on my bladder. It's kinda weird to me to have it there and no where else. I feel like that stemmed from the adeno, through the muscle wall. The uterus sits on top of the bladder afterall. I think that maybe if I had not waited so long to find out what this was, the endo wouldn't have had time to form. I hope the endo doesn't come back!
Unread 05-24-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2_queen View Post
I hope all you ladies are finding as much relief as I have from having the surgery. Wow hrao1376, 7 years !!...you are my new hero. I was the queen of denial (in hindsight). I actually went to the doctor because I thought I had a bad cyst/tumor on my left ovary ( which I tried to ignore for way too long). Anybody experienced any pleasant/surprising "fixes" from this surgery? For instance, I had a "bad back" before all this started (bulging disk would flare up from time to time) so when I was having constant back aches..I thought it was due to that...I was diagnosed with IBS 3 years ago (at the start of symptoms for Adeno) and I thought alot of my swelling/bloating was due to that. I could go on, I didn't expect to be cured of all my aches & pains by having this surgery, but it has and I am amazed. Amazed that I waited so long, that I put up with that daily pain & even worse pain during my periods. Another thing is they found endometriosis on my bladder. It's kinda weird to me to have it there and no where else. I feel like that stemmed from the adeno, through the muscle wall. The uterus sits on top of the bladder afterall. I think that maybe if I had not waited so long to find out what this was, the endo wouldn't have had time to form. I hope the endo doesn't come back!
Though I think it is still a little early to tell I think my bladder problems have improved since my hyst. I had a double uterus so it was already a little larger than normal and I was going to the bathroom about every 30-60 minutes. Seems like I can go a couple hours now. So I am praying this solved my bladder problems. I also requested my medical records from surgery and the DR does mention removing adhesions so I'll need to talk to her about this at my next post op whether she thinks that was a cause of any problems as well.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register