enema/are you serious??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

enema/are you serious??? enema/are you serious???

Unread 05-17-2010, 09:33 PM
enema/are you serious???

Ok, my surgery is quickly approaching(may 25.) My first fear was the catheter and thanks to my sisters i am now a little less fearful of the catheter. However, My doc is telling me i have to do an enema the day before. Are they serious??? I really dont know if im brave enough to do that. QUESTION - If i do that drink junk they are telling me to drink and it "works me" will they know or not if i did the enema? HELP...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2010, 10:28 PM
Re: enema/are you serious???

They only know what you tell them, its an honor system. Its to help keep the bowel out of the way, and in case its nicked. Its not like a colonoscopy where they look in. Really the enema is not much worse than the purgative, but its all up to you whether you follow the plan or not. Not all Drs use the same bowel plan. But maybe at least give it a try, its no joy but its do-able. Good luck.
Unread 05-17-2010, 10:31 PM

Hi,
I can try to offer you my two cents. I had my TAH about 5 months ago and my doctor wanted me to do a pre-op preperation in which I had to drink magnesium citrate and then 2 enemas. My surgery was on Monday morning and I drank the magnesium citrate at around 2 pm Sunday afternoon. If you can excuse the graphics; my stomach and intestines got to gurggling and groaning with eventually some results. I then attempted the 2 enemas the morning of the surgery and I could not even get them to go in. I gave up out of frustration and really I did not have anymore in me. I then talked to the doctor and operating staff what happened then was told not to worry about it. You could always ask your doctor to be sure. I hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2010, 11:34 PM

I feel for you on this one. My Dr. advised two enema's the night before surgery and the morning of. I only managed the night before. I did it but it made me really sick to my stomach. Maybe more nerves then anything else. Most of us are so stressed out before the surgery there isn't much eating going on anyway. Funny, that had me all worked up the night before the surgery but I never even thought about it again until your post. Which just goes to show it wont be that bad in the end. Good luck with our surgery.
Unread 05-17-2010, 11:47 PM

Hi webbsa - it is so much fun preparing for surgery...not! Please know that it's important to follow your doctors instructions because it is part of your doctor's overall plan for a successful surgery, for you. Keep that end goal in mind (happy, healthy recovery) and just get through this however uncomfortable it feels. As Gidget says, you will get through and likely never look back....one day this will all be distant memories for us! All the very best to you! You can do this!! Hang in there!
Unread 05-17-2010, 11:53 PM

bowel prep is essential. You can always call your doc and ask about the golytely stuff but I can tell you from personal experience that the enema thing is a breeze. It is not nearly as awful as the stuff you have to drink..trust me on this. It is not hard nor is it painful...just strange. Just resign yourself to doing it and like everything else...it will not be as bad as you think!!! Just go for it and don't think about it so much..you'll be fine..promise
risa
Unread 05-18-2010, 04:40 AM

You can also mix a jar of Miralax with 64 oz of gatorade. Refrigerate it and drink it in about a 4 hour period. Then follow with 2 Dulcolax laxatives. I find this much easier.
Unread 05-18-2010, 05:53 AM

Hi webbsa

Quote:
QUESTION - If i do that drink junk they are telling me to drink and it "works me" will they know or not if i did the enema? HELP...
They may or may not know, but they are trusting that you have followed their instructions and are basing some of their actions on that. If you do not do the enema, you would have to tell them and it is possible that they would cancel the surgery if you have not done the prep according to instructions. The enema is not so bad. The instructions are right on the box and are easy to follow. I have had to do enemas for prep for several surgeries.

I find out today what bowel prep I have to do this time and I will be right there with you on Monday and we will get each other through this.

Hugs,
Suzanne
Unread 05-18-2010, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliesims2006 View Post
You can also mix a jar of Miralax with 64 oz of gatorade. Refrigerate it and drink it in about a 4 hour period. Then follow with 2 Dulcolax laxatives. I find this much easier.

As far as the pre-op bowel prep is concerned, do only what your own doctor tells you to do. If you do not follow your doctor's instructions your surgery could be postponed.
Unread 05-18-2010, 09:05 PM

I think it depends on the doctor and the hospital. I had to do the enemas the morning of the surgery and could not get it to work. I went to the hospital for the pre-op stuff and told them about what happened. They said that's okay and my surgery went on as planned; so it was not postponed or cancelled.

The doctor told me that the procedures were to help them during the surgery and for me to have an easy recovery post surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register