Generic Patches? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Generic Patches? Generic Patches?

Unread 05-17-2010, 11:31 PM
Generic Patches?

Is there such a thing as generic estrodiol patches?If so, is anyone using them? What has been your experience with them? Thanks....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-18-2010, 04:11 AM
Re: Generic Patches?

I have heard that there are some... but I haven't heard anything good about them. Everything I have heard and read ladies complain they adhere poorly, which is a problem as the medicine is in the adhesive.

And my rough understanding of generics meds is that a variation is allowed in the active ingredient.

Right now, I am struggling so much, I have very little patience for going up and down on a hormone rollercoaster! I am usually all for generics, but this hormone stuff ain't no joke!

Good Luck!
Unread 05-18-2010, 04:34 AM

Hi
I was immediately put on a huge pinkish patch in hospital. Probably some type of generic. At discharge my doc wrote a script for vivelle dot. LOVE IT.

My insurance has a mail order pharmacy they like you to use for long term prescriptions after the first few fills at a regular pharmacy. Well when it was time to switch to the mailorder they substituted alora patch for the vivelle dot. Alora is another brand name estradiol patch. Since is was a brand name I figured I'd give it a try. BIG MISTAKE!

It stuck ok, was clear like vivelle dot, was the size of a busi ess card vs a postage stamp. I could live with the size but WOWEE I had severe nausea and a dull headache within a few hours that would not let up! I put it on a Monday at 9pm and was due to chance patches fri 7 am. I could not take it anymore by thurs night and took it off opting to take my chances with nite sweats till morning. (I saved 2 vivelle dots just in case). I woke up without nausea put on the vivelle dot and have felt great since. Luckily the insurance mail order pharmacy was great and cancelled the alora in the computer (otherwise I would have been stuck with it till the 90 day supply ran out). They called my local pharmacy while I was on hold and authorized a vivelle dot refill. Yipee

so... Beware of switching from even one brand name to another! If what you have is working for you HOLD ON TO IT FOR DEAR LIFE!

Also the pharmacist said to make sure on the next script (this is my last refill) to make sure the doctor writes dispense as written, no substitutions. Otherwise when a generic comes out insurance companies require them to fill with generic unless it is written not to by doctor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-18-2010, 08:15 AM

I belong to a surgical menopause group and there's alot of discussions regarding the generic patches, and the majority has trouble with them.
Unread 05-18-2010, 11:03 AM

There are several different generic estradiol patches made by different manufacturers. All contain the same dosages of estradiol as the name brand patches, but they can absorb differently due to the different adhesives used. They also tend not to stick as well, leading to less absorption => symptoms you don't want to have.

I have used Climara, Vivelle-dot and the generic patch made by Mylan. My experience has been, on a scale of 1 to 10, Vivelle-dot is about a 9.5, Climara is about a 7 and the generic patch was about a 2 or 3. After the generic experience, I had my DR write my prescription "dispense as written/no substitutions" even though the Vivelle-dot costs me more - it's worth it.

s,
-Linda
Unread 05-18-2010, 11:58 AM

If your insurance co. or Dr. try to get you on the generics, RUN AWAY! Right after my surgery I was on the generic patch made by Mylan. The .05 strength was about 2 inches across and stuck OK when I wasn't moving around much, but when I had to move up to the .1 strength it was like trying to stick a large stiff coaster to my butt! NOTHING would keep that thing on! I went to the Climara after that. I'm not on patches any more, but if I was I would stay away from the generics. They might work if they were very low dose (like .025 which would be small), but even then I have my doubts about the adhesive if you're the least bit active.

Maddie
Unread 08-05-2010, 04:33 PM

This is a late post, but once again Hystersisters has helped me. THANK YOU!
I have been having bad peri-menopausal symptoms for too many years and finally decided to do HRT. I had been prescribed Climera and picked up the patches today and they were the Mylan patches. I read your comments and right away called the pharmacy to say I do not want the generic. (They never asked me if they could give me a generic.) It may cost me $75 more, but from what you write it will be worth it.
Again - Thank you all!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register