Scheduled LAVH Scared to death.. total removal of everything.. hrt? Personaly issues? newly married | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scared to death.. total removal of everything.. hrt? Personaly issues? newly married Scared to death.. total removal of everything.. hrt? Personaly issues? newly married

Unread 05-20-2010, 12:31 PM
Scared to death.. total removal of everything.. hrt? Personaly issues? newly married

Wow first i want to say thank you hystersisters for this site. All i was reading was the scary bad things and i started to really freak out... I am 33 yrs old and have had a long history of cysts and endometrosis. I honestly thought that all the pain I had was "normal" that all women have it.. lol guess not so much. Anti Inflammatories are my best friend... and got me through most days.. I didnt really think anything was majorly worng until about 3 months ago.. i seemed to keep having some bacterial vaginosis issues alot more pain with periods and a back ache that lasted well past the typical pmsy week before.. thought it was my bed, my shoes, my chair .. then a light went on and i figured out that i think its female issues.. made appt with my ob and had ultrasound.. oh how fun is that.. seems my cysts had chnaged from fluid to blood filled.. now im a cma and i know that isnt good with endometriosis.. at first she said she wanted to go in and clean up shop thought that would help.. then that cyst ruptured.. nothing like crawling around on the floor at home, bawling ur eyes out while tryin to get 3 kids off to school.. needless to say that cyst was the worst of all times.. and the after effects lasted 10 days. Had a heart to heart with my husband (married almost a year) and decided that i could not emotionallyor physically do this anymore. I was crying on and off for no reason... hurt all the time.. went back to dr and she said enough of this... we shall remove it all... now the anxiety and fear sets in. She mentions things like vaginal drynes.. lack of sex drive.. and i paniced.. (newly weds still) lol ofcourse my husband just wants me to be healthy and out of pain.. but i like that part of my life very much (not the pain part) I started searching sites looking for that one answer that would make me feel better... Im excited to live a life without pain.. what a concept.. but scared i will turn into a monster with the menopause as soon as i wake up... Id like to hear others stories of how this is not a big deal and that i overly worry about it.. lol im a worry wart always have been.. my work, husband and dr all said i was going to have to remove my superwomen cape.. thats very hard for me.. i am a "i can do it all" type of person... So if anyone out there can giveme soe words of wisdom.. im all ears.. well eyes i guess.. Huge thanks for this site..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-20-2010, 02:12 PM
Re: Scared to death.. total removal of everything.. hrt? Personaly issues? newly marr

I wish I had words of wisdom for you. Mainly I wanted to say pull up a seat...this boat is loaded with girls like us...anxious to have a "normal" life without pain and the other yucky problems and nervous about the "what ifs" that come along afterword. I will caution you about reading on the sexual dysfunction threads on this website. They really freaked me out! Then I discovered there are lots of other stories of happily sex afters. I've been married 21 years and while we aren't quite the newlyweds we are enjoying a rekindling now that our children are not as needy. So I guess my final word of advice is...focus on the positives and the better quality of life that you will have.
Unread 05-20-2010, 02:19 PM
Re: Scared to death.. total removal of everything.. hrt? Personaly issues? newly marr

This is the greatest site ever created, I agree.

Someone once told me "when you are ready to trade in your problems for a whole new set of problems, you are ready to make a change"....and she was right. Everything comes with issues - but it is your decision on which issues you'd rather have. I am a fairly new princess (two weeks) so I can't speak with authority as Sunflowergal40 can, but I do know that i couldn't take the constant ovary pain or the ridiculous bleeding any longer.

As far as vaginal dryness (granted, I am NO WHERE CLOSE to testing it yet) there are creams, etc to combat that. You have had a lot of issues...and you may get new issues after the surgery.....consider the balance of which issues are the lesser of the two evils.

Take care and good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-21-2010, 02:25 PM

how has your recovery been? I feel more positive everyday... with the support of my DH...and the lightim seeing at the end of the tunnel... I mre fearful.. to be honest of the menopuase issues.. i dont want to become my mother.. lol ... any words of wisdon? Things that you got that helped you to move a little quicker in ur recovery? HUGE THANKS
Unread 05-21-2010, 04:31 PM

i am almost completely at the "other side". The surgery was a whole lot easier than i expected it to be. sooooo glad I had it done!! i will go out an buy ky or something if i have to, that can be easily fixed at the drugstore!
i used to have more bad days than good ones, looking forward to a whole new me!
Unread 05-21-2010, 06:10 PM

Had my LAVH/BSO on March 29. Took everything. I am a lot older than you (50) so I was looking the big M in the face anyway. I was expecting hell on earth from the surgical menopause. I have had terrible thyroid issues for years and have suffered so many hormonal imbalance issues I can't even begin to tell you. So, I braced for a bad time.

Now, almost eight weeks out and I can count the hot flashes on one hand. They have been few, brief (like 30 seconds) and a real non-event for me. I have not had a single night sweat yet either. The "hots" were so much worse for me when I was hyperthyroid. Also, my moods have not been affected at all. If anything, I feel calmer now than when I was dealing with the bleeding and pain and the uncertainty that I had before. I had one "crying jag" in the hospital but ok since. I know it's different for everyone but I had a great experience and am sooooo glad I had this surgery.
Unread 05-21-2010, 08:48 PM

i also was terrified of turning into my mother when she was in her surgical menopause... luckily i haven't and i have a great dr who is proactive... i'm 7 weeks post op of a total hyst... started HRT in the hospital and have had the dosage upped at 6 weeks... the symptoms aren't fun, but they aren't nearly as bad as i'd feared... with my HRT right now, i'm having very little issues and feel okay...
good luck...
Unread 05-21-2010, 09:24 PM

I'm only 12 days post op so don't have a lot of answers for you. But I can tell already that my sex drive is going to be just fine....and like others have said I can't test it out yet but if dryness is an issue or whatever it is we will deal with that as it comes. Not having to worry about pain all the time definately makes the rest of it all worth while. It's a big decision but it's all worth it in the end.
Unread 05-22-2010, 08:35 PM

I had LAVH/BSO on 3/5 and I can say that is was the best thing I've done.

I opted not to do HRT and have been managing it myself. I've been on Lexapro (anxiety/depression) for years and this has helped with any mood swings. I've also added calcuim/vit d supplement. My gyn recommended a soy supplement for dryness. I'm taking Estroven PM. This has helped with my dry skin and any sleep issues from the so called night sweats. I did have to get some KY but that's no big deal since I don't have pain anymore.

It's so nice to be pain free. No pain from ovulation or period. Back aches gone. Pain with sex gone. What more can I ask for.

PS KY has his and her lubricants that work great.
Unread 05-22-2010, 08:58 PM

I am three weeks post op and was TERRIFIED of surgical menopause and I was facing a cancer diagnosis. My mantra was "Cancer is curable, menopause is not." I am happy to say that surgical menopause has been no where near as awful as I had myself worked up to believe.

I have the occasional night sweat and an even less frequent "warm" flash (I wouldn't even describe it as hot.). I have no change in mood, but I am taking an anti-depressent my doc said would help with all the before mentioned symptoms. Not sure about the vaginal dryness, as I am not allowed to have sex (whine) for 5 more weeks. My DH and I had a very healthy sex life before and I CAN NOT wait to resume. I know that my libido is ready. LOL!

Good Luck to you! Take it from someone who worries a lot as well... I don't feel any different than I did before menopause.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register