vaginal itching/burning | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

vaginal itching/burning vaginal itching/burning

Unread 05-24-2010, 06:00 AM
vaginal itching/burning

Hi Sisters,
I need some help and I know this is the best place to seek it. Here goes. .I finished 25 external rads, stage 1b cc. Just finished last Wednesday.
Had a radical hyster in March. I have terrible, keeping me up all night vaginal itching. I told the rad. onc. on my last day (she wasn;t my regular) and she said it could be a yeast infection. I bought monostat and it burns and itches even more. I have tried every type of cream imaginable and no relief. Does anyone have any suggestions? I will call my gyn/onc but I know I wont be able to see him til Thursday.
Thanks to you all.
Diane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-24-2010, 06:25 AM
Re: vaginal itching/burning

Have you tried the GyneLotrimin Cream instead of Monistat? I find Monistat will burn, too, so maybe that would be worth a try. If not, I hesitate to suggest anything since I don't know if you have rstrictions due to the radiation. How about pure Aloe gel externally? Otherwise you can try the general things until you see the gyn-onc---yogurt (eating, probably would sting to apply it), oatmeal bath, pouring cool water over. I don't have great wisdom but perhaps something will help a bit until you get in. Hope you feel better soon.
Unread 05-24-2010, 10:10 AM

i'm wondering if it's dryness causing it? are you able to use "replens"? My gyn/onc said it was ok for me, and it helps for the dryness. Maybe you could call and just ask for a suggestion for some relief before thurday?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-24-2010, 10:17 PM

I had five internal radiation treatments (brachytherapy) and around treatment number three I had a lot of inflamation, itching and burning as a result of the treatment. The radiologist gave me some samples of Aquafor to apply to the labia, it is an over the counter product sold in the body lotion section and sometimes the baby aisle of your drugstore. I did not have much confidence that this would provide any relief but much to my surprise it helped almost instantly. It provided some moisture to my damaged tissues and a bit of a barrier from secretions and seemed to have some healing properties. You should always check with your own doctor but this product was helpful to me, in fact I still use it occasionally as my tissues are still very fragile 8 months after treatment. I hope you get some relief soon!
Unread 05-24-2010, 10:34 PM

If it is indeed a candidal yeast infection, call your dr and ask for a prescription of Diflucan. One pill cures it. No need for messy creams anymore. But that is ONLY if it is for sure a yeast infection.
Unread 05-25-2010, 02:27 AM

I have to agree with fyrelight... you don't want to be using a yeast infection drug unless you are sure that is what you have.
Unread 05-27-2010, 01:30 PM

I had lots of vaginal itching and irritation with my 28 days of radiation. It was NOT a yeast infection. Tried several things and nothing helped with the itching, but then it got so irritated that the itching was no longer the problem. Desitin helped TREMENDOUSLY with the irritation - helped to soothe and provided a barrier from urine. After 2 weeks it was all gone. I started Brachytherapy a week ago. I will have #2 tomorrow. So far there is some mild itching, hopefully won't be as bad as the external radiation caused but I've got my desitin if it does!!
Unread 05-27-2010, 07:56 PM

I did get a yeast infection during my radiation treatments. My Dr verified it was a yeast infection, and I was prescribed Diflucan. It took a few days to completely clear up. But the pill did work.
I also used Aquafor throughout the timeframe of the treatments. I could not use it the morning of the treatments as I needed to have no lotions on, but I could use it every day after treatments, and on the weekends.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register