Not scared of surgery... Scared of aftermath | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Not scared of surgery... Scared of aftermath Not scared of surgery... Scared of aftermath

Unread 05-26-2010, 10:28 AM
Not scared of surgery... Scared of aftermath

I have found myself searching the internet for hours and hours, reading anything I can get my hands on about the aftermath of the surgery. I wonder if after seven laps for endometriosis, 2 ectopic pregnancies, a miscarriage, a tube removal, bladder sling placed, countless hormone therapies, positive cystoscopy for interstitial cystitis, so many visits to er for pain, ovarian cyst after ovarian cyst, irregular and painful periods, am I ready for the hysterectomy scheduled for July 13th, or rather the aftermath of the surgery. Everything I have read makes it sound like torture... you are going to gain weight (20 lbs plus) you are going to have hot flashes, you are going to feel like crap for weeks, loss of desire... so on and so on. It is easy to find the negative. Is there anyone out there that feels good about their decision? Are there women that didn't gain 20 lbs? Are there women that have better sex now? As I sit here, I am thinking, well the pain isn't that bad today... (hello, you are on vicodin) I trust my doc. I know he is right about the hysterectomy. He has been very clear that we are only removing one component of the pain. With everything that I have going on, this is just one small part. I have to go to physical therapy for the chronic pelvic pain. He has referred me out to a specilist <name removed per TOS> to work on that aspect. I have a wonderful urologist who worked with my current ob/gyn to diagnosis the IC and am abiding by the ic diet and taking vistaril (benadryl for your bladder) that seems to be helping. There is a chance that the endo may still bother me, because we are going to try to leave one ovary (to avoid going on hormone replacement) although he said there may be a possibility that it might not work for me and I may have to consider hormones. Luckily he is one that believes in alternative ways to look at female problems and likes the results of the bio-identicals matched to each persons' needs. I guess I just want to talk to someone that will tell me not to worry. That she has been through it and has had a really good result!! That her pain is decreased and she still has a great sex life. That she hasn't gained 20 pounds and still feels like herself, only better. Are you out there???? Please, I need to hear "It is ok!!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-26-2010, 11:46 AM
Re: Not scared of surgery... Scared of aftermath

It is okay! I'm 5 weeks post op. It hasn't been torture, other than some extreme boredom with daytime TV.

Some women do have horror stories following their surgeries, but not everyone does. I've lost a few pounds mainly from all the walking I've done and my legs are looking fantastic! I no longer have horrible cramps or the big lump in my abdomen where my oversized uterus would poke out when I needed to pee.

I can't tell you not to worry, but I found that when I just made myself stop worrying about what could go wrong and focus on the positive, I was much better off. My headaches stopped and my blood pressure stopped spiking.
Unread 05-26-2010, 11:51 AM

Good to hear!! Do you mind if I ask what kind of procedure you had? I am scheduled for a LSH with DaVinci. Doc says that is about the least amount of down time and complications and we might be able to spare at least one of my ovaries. Have you had any emotional stuff going on? Are you on hormones? Sorry... I have tons of questions. If you don't feel comfortable sharing, I understanding. Looking forward to not being in at least one kind of pain!!! Please keep me posted on your condition! Again, I hope you have a speedy recovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-26-2010, 11:57 AM

I haven't been through as much as you but I can say that I'm completely happy with the outcome of my surgery. I had LAVH/BSO on 3/5 and had very little pain. It's amazing how much better I am in general. I would have back pain, ovulation and period pain that would put me in bed. It's all gone now and I actually have lost a couple of pounds. I can finally walk on my treadmill anytime of the month without pain.

I opted not to do HRT and have handle the menopause by adding extra calcuim/vit d, estroven pm (which helps with night sweats and the dry skin). I have been on Lexapro(anxiety/depression) medicine for years and I know this has handle any of the mood swing stuff.

If I had a choice again about the surgery I would jump right up on the operating table.

Good Luck.
Unread 05-26-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebemodel View Post
Good to hear!! Do you mind if I ask what kind of procedure you had? I am scheduled for a LSH with DaVinci. Doc says that is about the least amount of down time and complications and we might be able to spare at least one of my ovaries. Have you had any emotional stuff going on? Are you on hormones? Sorry... I have tons of questions. If you don't feel comfortable sharing, I understanding. Looking forward to not being in at least one kind of pain!!! Please keep me posted on your condition! Again, I hope you have a speedy recovery!
I had the Davinci and kept both ovaries & cervix. I haven't had any emotional flares - except on Mother's Day when my son called me from Afghanistan.

No hormones since I have my ovaries. My pain has been very manageable. I won't take narcotics, so in the hospital they put Toradol in my IV and I used 800 mg motrin since being home, but stopped taking that regularly almost 2 weeks ago. I'll take one occasionally, but 99% of my surgery pain is gone now.

Please feel free to ask questions. I don't have any problem answering what I can!
Unread 05-26-2010, 12:41 PM

Thank you so much!!! This website has been a blessing to me, to not only vent my frustrations, but find kind women like you who don't mind sharing. I know I am getting a bit overwhelmed with information. At this point, I think I need to just breathe!!!
Unread 05-26-2010, 12:47 PM

I understand how you feel about being overwhelmed. I had to stop reading the pre-op forum before my surgery because I was taking everyone elses fears onto myself (does that make sense?) I was much more into reading the surgery stories because I was better able to process the whole experience.

Oh, I just noticed that you're in Phoenix! Hi Neighbor! :-)
Unread 05-26-2010, 12:56 PM

I also had an easy recovery. I was not really in pain, just very sore. I only took OTC Advil when I returned home. Please remember that more ladies post when they have complications for the support they receive on this wonderful site. A lot of ladies do not have any complications. I was actually afraid to read the posts on this site for a couple of weeks after my surgery, because I was so afraid of having severe complications. But I made it through with only some granulation issues.
Unread 05-26-2010, 01:19 PM

I was really scared about the aftermath also - I had a LSH on Monday and seem to be doing better than I had envisioned going into it. The pain is manageable with a pain pill here and there.

I also have a wonderful DH at home that has been alot of help. I don't think it would have gone this well without him.

Lean on people as much as you need to - it makes all the difference in the healing process.
Unread 05-26-2010, 02:30 PM

Thank you ladies!! I am starting to feel a little better. Just talked with the nurse at the bio-ident facility that does all the hormone testing and provides bio-ident creams. She said hormones don't really settle down until about six weeks post-op, so that is when I should come in to get tested to see what, if anything is needed. Knowledge is power, but wow can it be scary!! I am glad to hear that there are my sisters out there that have had a good result. I think it will help me go into this with a better feeing (hopefully resulting in a better outcome!!)

I welcome all feedback!!! Thanks again ladies for your input and support!!! And the countdown begins!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register