Scheduled TAH Yikes | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 06-02-2010, 10:56 PM
Yikes

OMG....I don't know if I should be reading this sight or not.
There are some good stories and some scary ones.
My anxiety is high...I go in on Friday for a TAH. Never had any major surgery but had 3 kids with no meds.
I hope I survive tomorrow. Surgery on Friday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2010, 11:07 PM
Re: Yikes

hbright -

Glad you found the site. You are right there is good stuff and some scarey stuff. For now review the Hysterectomy CheckPoints and the Pre-Op menu and articles.

Try to stay away from the scary stuff and breathe.

Nerves before surgery are very normal.

You will survive tomorrow and once you get through surgery you can go over to the Post-Op forum and find the Recovery Progress thread for this week. It is where you can share information on your recovery with others having surgery in the same week.

and good vibes that all goes well for you.

G.
Unread 06-02-2010, 11:40 PM

I agree with Taurus...try not to read all the post op stories yet!
I had a pretty good surgery, not text book due to fibroid placement on outside of uterus, it took a little longer to remove, but ended smoothly. Hospital stay was a boring 3 1/2 days. I stayed an extra half day due to low blood count, not typical.
The rest of my recovery has been pretty uneventful..thank goodness. Back to work at 6wks like planned.
I like to think there aren't a lot of uneventful stories on the site because who wants to read that??? Everyone wants to know what went wrong. Admit it we enjoy drama more!
Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of wonderful, encouraging women on here that have helped me through my emotional days, but you just don't see it as much.
I hope your surgery is uneventful and your recovery quick and pain free!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-03-2010, 12:15 AM

I also had high anxiety before i went in for my TAH so i know how you are feeling. But when i woke up from surgery it was the best I had felt in over a year. The day i came home i was shocked at how well I could get around. I'm 4 weeks post op right now and I'm amazed how well I feel. You'll do great! This site is wondeful for finding answer to questions you might have before and after. Keep a positve attitude and think of how great it will be to have your life back. My prayers are with you.
Unread 06-03-2010, 04:07 AM

Hi Hbright!
Being nervous is normal. I agree with an earlier poster of waiting till later to read anything on the post op forum. I celebrated my 1 year hysterversay yesterday and what a wonderful year it has been. I can remember the day of my surgery like it was yesterday. I was worried and to make matters worse....i'm a control freak. LOL. Those poor nurses! Having to take care of a control freak patient (who happens to be a nurse), my husband is also a nurse and the 3 men from my department (also nurses) came to check on me every few hours. Those same three people also chose that time to be funny. Here I was holding my belly saying, "Don't make me laugh, don't make me laugh."
Follow the doctors directions and I'm sure all will go well! When they tell you not to lift anything over a certain weight...they're not kidding. Relax and let others do for you while you recover.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Lisa
Unread 06-03-2010, 07:06 AM

I know your fears. When I was in my late 20's, I had to have my thyroid removed due to a suspicious lump. I had never had surgery before. I was so scared that I would die, that the pain would be unbearable etc etc. I had 2 little kids to worry about. I was fine! The meds control the pain really well, although neck surgery does not compare to abdominal. But at least I have a bit of a idea what I am in for.
Read all the stories here, it will help you calm your nerves. It is so nice to know that so many feel the same way you do and can help you get through this!
Best of luck to you!
Unread 06-03-2010, 07:20 AM

I'm going in tomorrow as well. I agree with all the ladies said here to avoid the post op forum for now. There are scary stories and also successful stories on this site, but the scary stories tend to get stuck in our heads! I'm going to keep myself busy today and try to keep my mind busy! Good luck tomorrow, I'll be thinking of you!
Unread 06-03-2010, 09:44 AM

Thanks for all the support~
I have had a hard year with pulmonary embolism (blood clot in lung) and pneumonia in August...spent 18 days in the hospital on and off for that.
It just seems that now that I am breathing well I have all this pelvic stuff to deal with. Uterus is the size of being 4 months pregnant...ovaries the size of golfballs with multiple fibroids. Seems like I have pelvic pain everday to some extent or another. And now the other day I woke up with hemroids...arrrggghhh. What is a girl to do. Never had any problems prior...I really just want it over with. Everyone tells me I will feel sooooo much better and that the other issues that I have, bowel and bladder, will be taken care of ...that is all I want.
I have a great family to help me recover...my husband off work for a week and two older boys who are at home. I am all about treating myself well...since I couldn't go on vacation this year I got a new mattress and new flat screen tv to help pass the time...and of course lots of books.
So far this morning I am not too nerved out. I will just try and hang on most of the day and keep busy.
Thanks again.
Unread 06-03-2010, 09:49 AM

Hi ladies!! Had my TAH 5/3 and I'm feeling really well too! The most important thing I can say is to do exactly what your doctor tells you! The restrictions are there to make you heal better, not as a punishment! It seems a lot of the people (but definetely not all) who have problems, have done too much too soon. Get your rest, watch crappy TV, read, play computer games, sit outside in the sunshine and let your body take care of you!
Unread 06-03-2010, 01:03 PM

I am one week and one day post TAH. Try not to worry (I know-it's hard). I agree, listen the doc's orders. I am doing well and it's only been a few days!
Positive thoughts and prayers coming your way for peace and for a good recovery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register