Compounded HRT? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Compounded HRT? Compounded HRT?

Unread 06-03-2010, 11:40 AM
Compounded HRT?

Hi I had my surgery 5/11 and have had no HRT thus far. My ovaries weren't fully functional pre-op and I don't feel alot different than I did before my ovaries came out, but I felt pretty cruddy then, nausea, insomnia, fatigue, moodiness etc. I was picking up dh's meds at the pharm yesterday and asked the pharmacist about the otc estroven and stuff and if that helps any, she told me that the ones that are tailored to you are best, so I asked her for more info. Based on the breast cancer risks I have she said if I took the compounded ones I would be much better off. She said all they have to do is swab my mouth at the doctor and they can check everything even my thyroid and all of that can be compounded into one med if I need it. Has anyone done this route? I have to talk to my doc the 8th about what I want to do. So I want to get my ideas in order before then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-03-2010, 05:03 PM
Re: Compounded HRT?

Crys,
There really isn't one right answer when it comes to hrt. Everyone is so different, what works for me may not work for you. Compounded hormones have no more or less risk than bio identical hrt.

One thing I would advise if you go the compounded route, do NOT have them mixed all together into one med. You may need more or less of one or more of the meds, when they are mixed together, it is impossible to tweak one without tweaking the other. It is best to keep everything separate.

Your pharmacist was talking about saliva testing. It is very controversial. I did do it once, but it was a total waste of money as the results weren't really accurate, even my pharmacist scratched her head as the results were totally against what my symptoms were indicating. My doc believes that bloodwork is more accurate.

That said, testing for hormone levels isn't necessarily a tried and true method for determining your needs. Ranges are generally very broad and we all won't feel the same at a given level. I would also advise against testing so early post op. Your levels could be fluctuating for some time, so where you are now, may not be where you will be six months from now. Should you decide to start on hormones, at this point it is more helpful to keep a journal of your symptoms and go from there, keeping in mind that many symptoms can be from fluctuating hormone levels as your body uses up its stored reserves of hormones and recovers from surgery.

If after some time you just can't find balance, than testing may be used as a tool, to go hand in hand with your symptoms to determine what is going on.

You can read more about hormones and symptoms of imbalance in the articles at www.hormonejungle.com

Unread 06-03-2010, 05:34 PM

P.S. Here's a thread you might be interested in reading regarding family history of breast cancer and ert

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho....php?p=3134027
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-08-2010, 01:10 PM

Thanks Kim! I waited to post my reply until I went to the doc today. I read all the great info you told me to and based on your advice and what I read I opted to treat the bothersome symptoms now and try not to do HRT. So ambien, phenrygan and an occasional valium when I'm ready to kill my dh lol

My doc told me he was leaving it up to me, but he doesnt want me to take HRT if I can help it I am BRCA 1 and 2 positive, my mother had Estrogen positive Breast cancer in 2005, her mom died from breast cancer in the 70's I'm not sure if hers was the same as my moms but I imagine so. I had 3 cousins and 2 aunts with ovarian cancer. Which was a part of our decision to go ahead and remove my ovaries since the risk was present and I had pcos as well, it was the better option. We didn't really discuss the "after" effect too much before surgery I knew it was going to be bumpy but figured I could get through. I am supposed to take the ambien get a few good nights sleep and see if that helps me "moodiness" and nausea lol. My poor dh, he had a rough weekend!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register