Feeling sick 5 weeks after vaginal cuff repair | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Feeling sick 5 weeks after vaginal cuff repair Feeling sick 5 weeks after vaginal cuff repair

Unread 06-07-2010, 12:09 AM
Feeling sick 5 weeks after vaginal cuff repair

Hey ladies, I am 5 almost 6 weeks post-op from a vaginal cuff repair. I have been debating going into the ER. Two weeks ago I felt very flu-ish so I went into his office he cultured my vaginal cuff and the next day they called and said they found bacteria. He called out flagyl for 7 days. So last week I was ok during the first part of the week then starting feeling flu-ish again. I called the office and the nurse said he was out of town but made me an appointment for Friday am. I was up all night with hot flashes and not feeling well that I over-slept and missed my appointment. I had some antibiotics from the past 5 weeks of being sick that I took some of those. Saturday I was feeling better but last night started having some cramping. Today, I am worse. I have had a ton of pressure, glands are swollen, feeling achy, chills and fatigued. Also, having some pain in my right side. I did have an abcess two weeks after and I know that has shrunk but now I have more clear fluid draining, not alot but more than usual. I do worry bc I had peritonitis from that torn vaginal cuff so I am hyper-sensitive that something else will happen. I am not having anxiety about it so I know its not just in my head. My skin is so warm but no temp. But I had a white count of 16 with no temp when I had the peritonitis from my vaginal cuff. Has anyone had these symptoms?? I am wondering if it is not healed. My dr that did the surgery told me the tissue was really infected and he could not sew bad tissue over bad tissue. I have been on antibiotics so much that my immune system is shot so I have been taking pro-biotics. I really need advice.. Thanks for listening... V
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-07-2010, 01:41 AM
Re: Feeling sick 5 weeks after vaginal cuff repair

(((valkhub))) I think you know the answer... if you are considering going to the ER, you need to go. It does not sound right that you are feeling worse again.

Please let us know what you find out, OK?

s,
-Linda
Unread 06-07-2010, 01:54 AM

I know.. I'm still at home, I've just been in the ER/hospital so many times I'm dreading it. I'm trying to hold off until the dr's office opens in the am. I know when I was writing that I kind of answered my own question. I'm just wondering if they are missing something.. There was an abcess right by the vaginal cuff, I've still been sick, there was bacteria, the tissue was already infected... I feel like he is brushing me off bc he knows I have anxiety. And I was sick for so long and nobody could figure out what was wrong, it has made me very untrusting of dr's. Thank you for your kind words!! Have you had silver nitrate? I'm just wondering if that's what I need? Hugs, V
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-07-2010, 02:29 AM

I haven't personally had silver nitrate used (well, that's not entirely true; it was put into my eyes when I was born, as used to be customary). When I had healing problems after the TVH with repairs, I had another surgery to fix it.

However... you have or at least had an abscess, which is a contained infection. The problem with abscesses is that it is very hard for antibiotics to get into the middle of them because they don't contain blood vessels, so what sometimes happens is that you think the antibiotics knocked back the infection but then it comes roaring back even worse. Silver nitrate will not help with an infection.

ER doctors are one of my pet peeves, so I understand your desire to wait until morning so you can see your regular doctor. Just get seen ASAP, ok? Promise?

s,
-Linda
Unread 06-07-2010, 03:27 AM

Oh I will!! In the am. I can go take care or give advice to other people but when it comes to myself, I just feel stupid!! I was thinking the silver nitrate. If there are areas in the vaginal cuff that are not healing?? Ill call in the am to get in plus I keep waking up feeling not so great.. Thank u again!! Hugs V

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register