Just diagnosed with Breast Cancer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Breast Health

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just diagnosed with Breast Cancer Just diagnosed with Breast Cancer

Unread 06-06-2010, 10:40 PM
Just diagnosed with Breast Cancer

Hi Ladies, just want to say thanks as I read this board after having a hyster three months ago. 4 weeks post op I had my first screening mri and found breast cancer and tues now getting double mast, also have brca 1. The surgical meno I am getting used to now not being on hormones but if anyone else out there has had a new dx of breast cancer after their hyster, I would like to talk to you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-08-2010, 10:03 AM
Re: Just diagnosed with Breast Cancer

That would be me. I just joined this group and wondered if anyone else had a dual diagnosis. I will be interested in your journey. Your post doesn't say why you had your hysterectomy. Was it for cancer?

My story isn't having breast cancer after hysterectomy, it's having both at the same time. I wonder if your breast cancer wasn't also there prior to your hysterectomy - just not diagnosed.

In late April, a routine Pap smear and mammogram, followed by appropriate biopsies, gave me the "double whammy" - I have both endometrial and breast cancer. I received this news less than 1 week apart. I've already had a lumpectomy and sentinal node biopsy and my breast cancer type is about as good as you can get if you have to have breast cancer. It's stage 1 invasive ductal carcinoma, estrogen positive, HER-2 negative. That doesn't mean I'm being cavelier about this diagnosis - far from it. I can't start any treatments for the breast cancer until I've recovered from my hysterectomy which is scheduled for July 1 and will be a DaVinci hysterectomy.

I will see a medical oncologist for the breast cancer on June 17 and have my list of questions ready. They're about as long as my arm. Of course, we won't know if further treatments will be needed for the endo cancer until after it's out. Since April, everyone with an MD after their name that I've talked to (and there have been many - primary care, gynecologist, gynecological oncologist, surgical oncologist, and soon medical oncologist then radiologic oncologist!) tell me these two cancers are not related - just that I have risk factors for both and I got both at the same time - a coincidence they say. I say it sucks. The docs do communicate with each other and my primary care physician is keeping tabs on the overall sequence of events.

Is today the day you're having your mastectomies or next Tuesday?
Unread 06-10-2010, 06:56 PM

Hi double whammy,
I too was diagnosed with uterine cancer in december, and DCIS at the same time. Had hysterectomy, just finished chemo, now waiting 6 weeks for my blood counts to normalize before having mastectomy. Having a hard time thinking about another surgery now, and whether to have reconstruction or not, as that will be MORE surgeries. WOndering how you are doing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-11-2010, 08:44 AM

Dear Madmad-

I didn't have a mastectomy so I can't comment on that surgery. I had lumpectomy (partial mastectomy) and sentinal node biopsies and that was quite an uneventful recovery. Interesting that our situations are reversed, you had a hysterectomy first, me the breast cancer. In my case I think the decision was made because my breast cancer had progressed outside the ducts and even though it was very small, I think it was higher on the pecking order than the endometrial cancer with regard of the potential of entering the lymph system. Also, the daVinci is harder to schedule at the cancer center where I'm receiving my care. In fact, it took 6 weeks for me to make that dance card from my initial appointment with the gyn/onc.

I so understand the dread of another surgery as well as knowing you're still walking around with untreated cancer, no matter how much reassurance you received that it's slow growing. Can't help but wonder if today or tomorrow is the day one little cell makes it beyond its starting point. I have found that being distracted works pretty doggone well, but sometimes I have a hard time making myself be distracted. It helps if a friend calls and invites me to do something rather than having to arrange something myself or even make myself do things I enjoy. But I've been working on that a lot lately. I've also found that if I have to take care of someone else, no matter how little effort, that really works. My husband and I are going away for 2 days next week, then I'm taking off to a friends' (on the ocean) for a few days over the next weekend (June 18-21). Then it will be getting closer to July 1 and I will be busy getting things in order in the house and yard that I've let go.

Do you have a date yet for your surgery?

MRDRN, how are you doing since your double mastectomies?

This website has been great for increasing awareness because the information is from women who have experienced it all.
Unread 01-11-2011, 09:58 PM

I see that this all happened a few months ago, but I am wondering how you're doing, MRDRN. I had an abnormal mammogram about 7 weeks after the hysterectomy (SAH, and I kept one ovary...now wishing I'd had both taken out). I've had the lumpectomy and am scheduled for the sentinel lymph node biopsy next week. The lump was small, invasive lobular carcinoma and the breast surgeon is optimistic that it probably has not spread, and I'll be a good candidate for partial breast radiation. Of course, all the staging is not done yet. I am 54 years old and feel as if I started falling apart somewhere around the age of menopause, especially in the last year. I felt great after the hysterectomy, and now this. Anyhow, I hope you're doing well and getting through the treatment without a lot of pain and interruption in your life.
Unread 01-14-2011, 02:09 AM

I had my hyst. almost 3 yrs ago, and my last mammo came back , requiring more views and an ultrasound. Although the radiologist feels everything is benign, my gyn/onc wants me to see a breast surgeon. There has been a cyst in or near the milk gland for years and although on comparison with other year's films it looks the same, the gyn/onc said he would feel better if perhaps they biopsied the area.
So I am guessing this is more common than we know. Perhaps the un-apposed estrogen that causes the endometrial/uterine cancer also affects the breast.
Unread 01-14-2011, 08:29 PM

Hi Ladies! I too have had the double whammy...I was diagnosed with DCIS in 2008..had a lumpectomy and 6 weeks of radiation. I started on my 5 year regime on Tamoxifen in 2009 cause I was scared to death of all the side effects that are associated with it til my mom (who is a breast cancer survivor as well) told me that in the long run, the benefits will outweigh the side effects. That proved true until I started having periods again.....after 3 years of not having one since my ablation...scared me to death! Off I went to the OB/GYN...who happened not to be my regular doc but I think that was a blessing in disguise! She attempted to do a biopsy in the office but that was a no go since I had so much scarring from the ablation. Off to the OR we went..she found a polyp which turned out to be benign but since one of the side effects of Tamoxifen is uterine cancer, we decided that a hysterectomy was the best course of treatment.
It does alot to your self-esteem I tell you to have all of your lady parts messed with and hacked at, but I have come to the realization that parts are parts but cant damage your soul...and with wonderful ladies to help you along the way (Im talking about you hystersisters!) you can overccome anything. I wish you both the best and if you want to talk, please dont hesitate to drop me a line.
Love and Blessings!
Unread 01-19-2011, 09:49 AM

Hi Pointer,
I was dx'd with ILC in May of 2008. It was found incidentally when my mammo showed calcifications which were DCIS. I guess I was fortunate that the DCIS was found as the ILC is notorious for it's sneaky nature and not easily detected by mammogram. The good news is that generally ILC is slower growing. I was pre menopausal and just turned 51. I ended up with a mastectomy,(not by choice) and therefore avoided radiation. But now am scheduled for davinci hyst/bso, and surgeon is concerned about possible endo cancer due to the tamoxifen related changes.
Let me know if I can help in sharing my experience
Unread 01-19-2011, 10:30 AM
Tamoxifen or not . . .

I think the incidence of women having both cancers sometime over the course of their lifetime is not uncommon and I'd like to know if there is actual data on this. I'm going to ask my oncologist about this because I see her next month. I asked a gyn onc fellow whether this was uncommon and she said they often see women who have had both cancers. I see the occurrence of both amongst women on this board as well as the ACS cancer survivors network. In my next life I'm coming back as a man!

Suzanne
Unread 01-19-2011, 10:56 AM

Haha Suzanne, but there is still the prostate to worry about!
According to my onc and the research I've done, ILC is more likely than other types (IDC, inflamm) to mets to gyn or GI organs. The percentages are still small. But anyone who's been in the minority of percentages (only 15-20% of breast biopsies are malignant) will find it hard to find comfort in that.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register