Camping trip~thoughts? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Camping trip~thoughts? Camping trip~thoughts?

Unread 06-13-2010, 02:19 PM
Camping trip~thoughts?

Before all this got scheduled, I had signed up for and paid for a Mother/Daughter camping trip with the Girl Scouts with my youngest dd who is 6 years old. I had surgery on June 4th and feel really good. The overnight is June 25th. Does anyone think I can actually do this? My daughter is really dissappointed that she may not get to go as my older daughter will be going on a three night overnight. Thoughts? I do have a friend who could go as her Other female friend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-13-2010, 02:33 PM
Re: Camping trip~thoughts?

Hi mdb! Sounds like something you really wouldn't want to miss...I would think that three weeks out you will still have alot of fatigue, or waves of fatigue that we don't seem to know when will hit us! The overall picture is probobly important to consider here....how long is the drive each way, will you be able to get comfortable with extra pillows, what kind of sleeping arrangements you will have (tent? Cabins?), and how much activity you will be participating in. Will you be able to take a horizontal time out if you need to? One night isn't so bad but even sitting around a campfire will probobly require an extra comfy chair, and you might not last very long if it was a long day.

Seems we are all so different in our recoveries but fatigue seems to be one of the common link. Will you be guarrunteed some good recovery time when you get home? I did a weekend trip last weekend (not quite four weeks out) and I was absoloutely exhausted when I got home, even though I didn't do much.

Not sure I've helped at all!!! Wishing you the best in making your decision, I know it's really hard to miss out on the big things and as long as it doesn't compromise your overall healing process, it may be worth it just to have that time with your youngest, and have that memory....as long as you are assured you won't have to push yourself too much AND have good recovery time when you return home.

GOOD LUCK!
Unread 06-13-2010, 02:35 PM

I tend to think the other lady should go but there's a chance it could work. Is this a backpack in, carry your stuff type of deal? That means lifting, and getting up and down from the ground. Not good. Or is it the staying in a cabin type camping with cars and beds? Now that would work. I know it must be hard on your daughter but if you're in pain or have problems it won't be fun. Maybe the friend could go and later you could have special mom time when you can? A post op mom crawling up from a sleeping bag on the ground is not probably in "the rules" is my guess. Hope your daughter can have a fun trip anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-13-2010, 05:46 PM

i am exactly 20 days post-op, laparoscopic. i would not want to do a campout away from home just yet. not ready to tackle details of packing to go away. still want a decent toilet. still need a comfy position in bed (which is mainly on my back). still get tired when having to walk or stand too long. feel extra-achy (and back on ibuprofen) yesterday/today from being quite active on thurs/fri in preparation for weekend guests. still get vertigo when sensory input is high. would not want to hurry if there is foul weather, and would not be prepared to help with all the "group" details. still having trouble resisting temptation to "overdo" (thinking i can do "just a little bit more...") so i tend to limit my temptations, LOL!!

okay, so that's ME, haha! i don't know if it helps, but if you have a dear friend who would go, you might want to take that option. it is a loss to you and dd, but she is young -- and Lord-willing there will be more opportunities. i have three dd (ages 7-14), and let me tell you, we've missed some great opportunities through the years due to logistics or illness. we're all still doing okay! life has disappointments; kids are resilient. you can always try planning a fun make-up mother/daughter event later in the summer when you feel well, maybe a weekend trip to a campground with cabins!

it's hard doing recovery when kids are wanting your attention and energy. hang in there!! best to you as you decide.
Unread 06-13-2010, 07:43 PM

I agree with everyone. I am 4 weeks post and can tell you there is no way I could go on a camping trip. But here is an idea: How about if your friend went also? She could carry stuff, play the games with dd and be there to help you but you would still be spending time with your daughter? If you needed to go lie down then your friend could stand in for the sack race or the hike then you could do smores around the campfire.
Unread 06-13-2010, 09:15 PM

Years ago I was a Girl Scout leader and went camping with my girls. You will only be 3 weeks out from major surgery and my suggestion would be for you to stay home and let your friend go (what a wonderful friend you have!) Think up something else that is really special for you and your daughter to do later in the summer when you have healed more. And you can always go camping together next year. The last thing you need is to be feeling miserable on an overnight. Major surgery requires major recovery. Take care.
Unread 06-13-2010, 09:16 PM

You don't say whether there is hiking involved. Who would carry the sleeping bags, tent, etc? Who would carry the supplies? It won't be you, I can tell you that. The camping trip is only three weeks out from your surgery, there is no way you will be cleared to do all those things. Have you even broached this with your doctor?
I would send the friend, and do something special later.
Unread 06-14-2010, 12:40 PM

I just had my 4 weeks post op Dr appt from a TVH. Things are healing well but my doctor said to continue with lots of rest, no lifting, no long time standing or sitting. His words were: " you don't want to tear any stitches or strain any of the ligaments. It will be at least another 2 weeks until things will be healed." You only have this time to heal from the surgery. Perhaps it would be best if you send your friend . There will be more camping trips for you and DD in the future where you can enjoy it more.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register