HPV/Cervical Cancer connection questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

HPV/Cervical Cancer connection questions HPV/Cervical Cancer connection questions

Unread 10-17-2001, 05:00 PM
HPV/Cervical Cancer connection questions

I was diagnosed with carcinoma in situ and adenocarcinoma in situ of the cervix in June. My doctor didn't give me a stage number but he did say it was microscopic. I had a TAH-BSO in July and on my 6 week visit, my doctor said this would be the cure 99.9% of the time. I have to come back in 3 months for another check and I don't know the schedule after that.

Here's my question. From what I have been reading, most cases of cervical cancer are linked to HPV. One of the other posts said that a gal's pap test showed HPV. Is this how HPV is discovered or are there other tests that show that you have this virus? How is this virus treated? When you have a Pap test, do they always look for HPV or just for cancer?

I have never been told that I have it, but if I do I want to know so that it can be treated and doesn't pop up as another type of vulvar cancer.

How did I get cervical cancer?

I do not fit the profile as high risk for cervical cancer. I have had no children, let alone several pregnancies close together. I have been faithfully (I hope) married for 20 years. I do not smoke and never have. Both my husband and I had other partners before we met, but I did not have a many...

Ever since I started getting Pap tests, I have had abnormal cells appear every few years. On a retest, they always cleared up. Maybe I should have pushed my doctor to look into this further or it would not have turned into cancer. In the past, I always had my pap and exams done by my internist-she referred me to a gynecologist when the last retest came up so bad. Now I wish I had seen a gynecologist for many years-maybe this wouldn't have turned into cancer....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2001, 05:09 PM

Hi Beannie, ahhhh the internal question re HPV.

As far as I know the virus can only be detected by the pap test, not sure if there is a blood test for it. I don't think it can be treated . When you have a pap test , the Drs look for any abnormality of the cervix and upper vagina, if the results come back that there are abnormalities of any kind then further tests are done such as colposcopy and biopsy.

Medical authorities are divided about how any woman ' gets ' cervical cancer . My gyno said smoking is one reason ... I have never smoked in my life and I know lots of smokers who havent had cervical cancer Lots of other reasons .... multilple partners in life, tampon use but really I dont think they know. Just luck of the draw, I suppose.

Abnormalities on the cervix can be caused by a number of things other than HPV , if you have this virus it should show on the pathology report from your pap. Ask your DR.

I did a search and I thought this thread may help a little . It has some web sites to check https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...ighlight=virus

I hope this is of some help and please ask us anything you want to and we will try to help . take care x x
Unread 10-17-2001, 05:36 PM
HPV/cervical cancer

Hi Beannie, Like Robyn said, it is probably just "luck of the draw". Medical professionals are still studying the connection between HPV and cervical cancer. Some people get HPV and it cannot be traced to where they got it. Multiple partners and smoking does increase your chances of getting cervical cancer. A study was done on HPV and cervical cancer and nuns were involved in the study and they had HPV. Sexual intercourse is definately the most common way to get it but apparently it isn't the only way. I didn't fit the profile either. My doctor said if I wasn't so young he would think that it was cervical cancer. When the results came back I guess I wasn't too young. I have never smoked and only had one partner aside from my husband. But one partner or one past partner of my husband could have had it. Seven months before my diagnosis I had a clean pap and I had never had a bad pap before. There is no cure for HPV. I never knew I had it until I got invasive cervical cancer stage 2A. Cervical cancer in situ is considered stage 0. For most people a Hyst is the only treatment needed but it does have to be watched, as Robyn can tell you, because cells can end up growing further up you vaginal wall so you will always need pap smears even with the hyst. I even had radiation, internal and external and my vagina completely rebuilt but I will always need pap smears.
I hope that you are recovering well from your hyst. It takes about 6 months to a year before you feel your old self. I certainly hope and pray that this is the end of it for you. Don't miss those follow up appts. and take care of yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-18-2001, 05:53 AM

Ah yes...the wonderful world of HPV. I found out when I had an outbreak...I thought it was a horrible vaginal infection and ended up being severe dysplasia and condyloma's (warts and flat shiny growths) I think that I got it from my ex husband but like the other ladies I can't be sure. I don't smoke, am 34 ( was diagnosed with hpv at 28) and have only one child. I had a spot lasered off of my vulva the same time I had my hyst and guess what...it's back. Not nearly as bad but still there. Internally I've been fine since my hyst so that's the good news. There are several treatments for hpv but no cures. My gyn said that there's some progress on a vaccine but he doesn't know how long before it's available to women. I told him that I"m more than willing to be a guinea pig! I've found out that the biggest thing you can do for yourself is to keep your immune system strong. I take a LOT of vitamins/minerals and a handful of herbs. The growth that I have now was listed on the pathology report as "squamous cell hyperplasia" but my gyn thinks that it's due to the hpv being on that site previously...maybe it weakened the cells there or something. I hope that you're finished dealing with the hpv and that you heal great and never have a problem again. Even though mine wasn't "cancer" I'm still having smears done every three months to make sure that nothing returns internally. I agree with the other ladies...check out your pathology report to see if, in fact, you do have hpv. Then concentrate on healing and getting healthy. I have two good friends that have only ever had one outbreak so there IS hope! Good luck and let us know how you're doing.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register