Total hysterectomy 5-7, Im not on any HRT, am I in for trouble? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Total hysterectomy 5-7, Im not on any HRT, am I in for trouble? Total hysterectomy 5-7, Im not on any HRT, am I in for trouble?

Unread 06-14-2010, 12:27 PM
Total hysterectomy 5-7, Im not on any HRT, am I in for trouble?

Hi All,
Full total hyst, ovaries everything, I have had a couple of small hot flashes each day, and today a bit dizzy. My doctors dont recommend HRT. So I am 5 weeks post op, is it going to get worse? I have a big history of breast cancer in my family. When can I expect the crash?
thanks Pam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-14-2010, 01:37 PM
Re: Total hysterectomy 5-7, Im not on any HRT, am I in for trouble?

Hi Pam, I had my TAH with ovary removal 3 months ago and have not had HRT due to a family history of breast cancer. My hot flashes were actually less intense after the surgery. Since it is now summer, they are a bit worse but the heat is horrible in New Mexico in June.

I have not noticed any other side effects. Talk to your doctor about the appropriate vitamins/calcium etc. since we are at increase risk for osteoperosis. My doctor recommended that I excercise every day to help my bones and reduce hot flashes. I began shortly after surgery (walking short distances and increasing as I felt better) and have now lost 20 pounds.

My personal opinion is if you are doing well at 5 weeks, don't plan on a crash - I have not had worsening symptoms since my surgery 3 months ago. At that time, I was 50 and definately going through the change.

Good luck sister!
Unread 06-14-2010, 01:53 PM

Some ladies just do OK and don't have any bad symptoms. You may just be lucky. Sometimes it does take a while to go through your stored estrogen so you could still change, but with continued luck it could still be mild. I hope so, it makes life easier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-15-2010, 08:40 AM

Thanks everyone, I hope your right. I live in boston, so the temps dont usually get to hot for to long. Ill keep you posted.
Pam
Unread 07-29-2010, 06:48 AM

Thanks for this post. I am 12 days post op (TAH/BSO), age 41, and no one has mentioned HRT to me. I feel pretty good.

I don't know if I'm feeling pretty good, is it better to avoid HRT or am I doing damage elsewhere by not taking HRT? I read a scarey mortality percentage (170% increase in mortality for woman less than age 45 that lose ovaries) - I don't even know what that means really, but it doesn't sound good.

I realize that I am very early in my recovery and things can change but If I can manage these (currently MINOR) menopause symptoms without HRT is that better or even ok?

I am so confused.

Thanks - Susan
Unread 07-29-2010, 09:06 AM

Hi Susan
Well I can say its been almost 3 months since i had a total hyst including ovaries, and other than an occasional hot flash which only last a minute or so, i have had no problems. My energy is better, im feeling much better since before the surgery. I have a high risk of breast cancer in my family so my doctor thinks if i can get by without hormone replacement i should. If i take hrt i increase my risk of breast cancer.
hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.
Unread 08-02-2010, 07:48 PM

I am at 6 weeks without HRT. I haven't had any hot flashes. I am struggling with insomnia and dizziness. I am very overweight so I figure I've got plenty of estrogen in storage. I've lost 10 pounds so far. My doctor said the menopause may kick in as I lose more weight. I am also very confused about what to do! Don't you wish there was a checklist that gave you a definitive answer about all this?
Unread 08-03-2010, 09:20 AM

Hi sunshine,
yes i do wish there was a checklist. But Im 3 months just about, and im 195, all i have had are occasional hot flashes. So far so good. I am feeling much better tho not having my anemia be so bad as before.
Pam

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register