7 Weeks Post Op - HRT? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

7 Weeks Post Op - HRT? 7 Weeks Post Op - HRT?

Unread 06-18-2010, 02:21 PM
7 Weeks Post Op - HRT?

Hi All

I am feeling so very confused at the moment about the whole HRT/ERT Post-Op thingy. I am 33 years old and had a sub total abdominal hysterectomy (only cervix remaining) due to a large melon sized dermoid cyst on one ovary and 2 plum size dermoids on the other (this was not picked up on the MRI or ultra sound and was expecting to keep one of the ovaries). I have been to my 6 week checkup and was expecting the consultant to tell me either I did or did not need to go on HRT but all I got was 'it's your decision'. I can honestly say that I have had some weird experiences since my op which could be described as hot flushes or the night sweats but I can't say for sure that it was as I don't know how these should feel. I can say that I have been easily (daily) agitated to the point that if I don't walk away from a situation or block it out completely, I could rip someone's head off instantly (I was never like this before the op). I am also almost afraid to be out - I get the shakes and sometimes lose my breath and this to me is very scary as I never had this problem before. I have had a few complications post-op but I think I am finally coming out of the worst of it (fingers crossed). The consultant explained the pros and cons of having estrogen and said that is the only hormone that I require because I have no uterus, but I have read that testosterone can help with energy levels, moods and depression, which I suffered from pre-op and obviously still suffer from now. My main concerns about not taking HRT/ERT would be aging too soon and the osteoporosis. I know that some women have been fine without it, but I really don't know what to do at this point. Any advice would be welcome.

Thank you for reading
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-20-2010, 10:01 AM
Re: 7 Weeks Post Op - HRT?

Yes, whether or not to take ert/hrt is a personal decision. I didn't really have any time to think about it after my operation as a patch was stuck on my behind shortly after surgery. I've now been using hrt in one form or another for 11 years. For me, I wouldn't be without it. I had very bad symptoms after surgery, even while on the ert, just can't imagine having to deal with them again.

I currently use an OTC progesterone cream along with my bi est. I also have a script for a 1% testosterone cream, but I rarely use it these days.

You are quite early post op to know exactly what your hrt needs are going to be. You may or may not need testosterone. I usually advise to get the estrogen right first, than add other hormones as needed. And with testosterone, I would advise that you have your free and total testosterone levels tested before supplementing with it. Having too much T is not a good thing and some symptoms of excess may be irreversible.

You can read more about these items in the articles at www.hormonejungle.com

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register