How long do you give HRT to "work" | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long do you give HRT to "work" How long do you give HRT to "work"

Unread 06-19-2010, 06:54 AM
How long do you give HRT to "work"

Typically, how long should you wait to see if a particular HRT is "working" for you?
I've been on Vivelle .1 for a little over two weeks now. I don't have hot flashes or sweats...sleep ok. But I have high anxiety, depression, muscle pain, fatigue. My bp is high and apparently my thyroid TSH levels are a bit low.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2010, 07:29 AM
Smile - How long do you give HRT to "work" Re: How long do you give HRT to "work"

I'm also on the vivelle patch, my dose is 0.05. I had a TAH/BSO on May 25th. My Dr. started me on the patch when I went to his office 10 days post-op to have my staples removed. I seemed to feel better within the 2nd day. I wasn't really have a lot of symptoms though....just a few mild hot flashes, emotional and depressed. I still feel somewhat emotional and depressed, but think it could partly because of being so limited and stuck at home alone so much. Initially, when discharged from the hospital I was put on premarin. I only took 1 pill then stopped taking it, because it made all my symptoms much worse...I thought I was going to die, I was so hot and couldn't even breath, nauseated and gaging, which was not fun with the staples in. I've been being treated for a low TSH level for several years, as a matter of fact, I've been on synthroid for 11 years. I can tell you, when it was first discovered that my TSH was low, I was experiencing a lot of fatigue. I was so tired all the time, it was all I could do to drag myself out of bed to go to work. I also had muscle aches. My sister had her hysterectomy 3 years ago and has had lots of trouble with HRT. She has only been given premarin, she reacted the same to it as me, but when she told her Dr., they kept increasing the dose and making it worse, so she stopped taking it all together. I have suggested to her to ask her Dr. about the Vivelle patch, as it's working well for me, but she hasn't asked yet. Her Dr. did tell her that her TSH was a little low, so they started her on synthroid and she told me that her symptoms have greatly improved. As far as your BP being high, I don't really know anything about that, as it hasn't been a problem for me....at least not yet. I hope you're feeling better soon. Please let us all know how things are progressing.
Unread 06-19-2010, 08:02 AM
Re: How long do you give HRT to "work"

I was given my first patch of vivelle at the hospital, just a day after surgery. I woke up in night sweats once a night at the beginning and took the advice of someone on this wonderful site to switch the location of the patch. Instead of wearing it on my lower abdomen, I now wear it on my lower back (buttocks really) and that seems to make a difference. I am now a little more than four weeks post-op and am just tired but don't have other symptoms. That fatigue is probably normal at this point of recovery. I don't go back to the doctor's for another few weeks, that'll be my first visit post-op. I'm keeping an eye out for other symptoms. Definitely no headaches luckily.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2010, 08:27 AM

Dear Corlaprof,

Thank you for the information concerning a different location for the patch. I wasn't aware this could be done, so I will keep it in mind...in case I run into a problem. I also agree with you that fatigue is normal at this point, as I'm experiencing it, too. I really know when I've done more than I should. The body has a way of telling us, enough is enough!
Unread 06-19-2010, 03:20 PM

Kari,

It can take your body a while to get the full benefit from estrogen. I give any hormone change at least a month, two is better. Just starting it can be obvious you need more or less right away but sometimes it's more subtle. If your hot flashes have lessened or stopped, that's good. If you still have depression and anxiety, that's bad. You may need more time or more estrogen. It took my body a year to decide .075 Vivelle wasn't enough. Depression was one of my worst symptoms of low estrogen but it wasn't immediate. You are still early in recovery so your body is still getting used to the new you. It's a good idea to keep a journal of your symptoms so it's easy to pinpoint your problems.

Your symptoms could easily be related to the low TSH which can cause problems with ERT. You should let your doc know you aren't doing well.

Keep us posted.

Unread 07-22-2010, 06:12 PM

I also started a new dose over a week ago, and being treated for low tsh, on Armour thyroid, so at this point, I am not sure whether it is the Armour or the vivelle from .05 to .75...like someone else mentioned, fatigue, depression, anxiety.....I have been on Armour three weeks and wonder whether it is helping me......I have a feeling I have had low tsh for a long time, but till my gyn gave me the test, no one ever mentioned this, then I had test at primary care office and even though it showed low, they said it was normal, and wonder how long this has been going on, me going in with symptoms, and complaints, them doing the test and then saying normal....because it was not low enough for them to send me to an endo.....it just blows my mind to think I have suffered this long .... to get to a complete blow out of fatigue, depression and fuzzy thinking.... I get retested on Aug 1, so that will be when I know whether the Armour has brought the level back up.....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register