almost 1 month post op and completely exhausted | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

almost 1 month post op and completely exhausted almost 1 month post op and completely exhausted

Unread 06-22-2010, 11:26 AM
almost 1 month post op and completely exhausted

Is this normal? I took 6 weeks out of work for my recovery, and during that time felt a little better each day. In fact, during week 6 I really felt like I could do anything (although I was careful not to over do it).

However, now that I am back to work, I am like a zombie. I am tired at work (8 hours), then when I go home, I fall asleep with the hour and sleep for 12 hours straight. So basically all I do is sleep and work, but I am completely exhausted. For 2 weeks now.

And in other news, I seem to have lost all multi-tasking ability and short-term memory.

I was in good shape & very active prior to surgery.

Help!! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-22-2010, 11:58 AM
Re: almost 1 month post op and completely exhausted

Well, your experience sounds exactly like mine! By week 5 I was back at work and the doctor kept telling me to start out slow, maybe 4 hour days for a couple of weeks (I was used to working 15 hour days). But I went back at it 8 hour days, then I'd come home and sleep and was totally exhausted. The doctor kept telling me I just had major surgery and that I won't feel back to 100% normal for about 6 months. Needless to say I was going to prove him wrong and kept working 8, 10, 12 hour days until my body crashed! Woke up one day and knew I had pushed myself too hard - I couldn't stop vomiting, and just layed on the couch and napped off and on all day. After I slept most of the day away I woke up feeling tons better. Then I re-evaluated what I was doing, slowed down on my work hours I put in and now I'm 5 months post-op and doing FANTASTIC! But I admit in the beginning it seemed like it would never come. And I am back to working 15 hour days! Hope this helps a little. If you can afford to do so, maybe you can just work part-time for awhile. Sending you happy, healing thoughts!
Unread 06-22-2010, 04:13 PM

I'm having similar experiences with trying to work full days at work. I'm 6 weeks today from a TVH and still fading quickly when I try to do full days. Listen to your body! It knows what you're ready for. And it doesn't take well to rationalizing about what we think we SHOULD be able to do. At least, that's my experience!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-22-2010, 05:24 PM

I had the same experience, but it does get better - gradually - so take care of yourself and rest when you need to.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register