7 1/2 Weeks Post-Op Torn Vaginal Cuff - It can happen | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

7 1/2 Weeks Post-Op Torn Vaginal Cuff - It can happen 7 1/2 Weeks Post-Op Torn Vaginal Cuff - It can happen

Unread 06-23-2010, 07:22 AM
7 1/2 Weeks Post-Op Torn Vaginal Cuff - It can happen

I am in no way trying to scare anyone but I wanted everyone to know my story in hopes that I save someone else from going through this. Tearing the vaginal cuff is evidently quite rare especially at 7 1/2 weeks but I managed to do it.

My recovery up to this point had been perfect. At 7 1/2 weeks I was feeling great and almost back to normal again. My husband and I decided to have sex. I had read on here that a lot of sisters had been having sex before this point so I figured why not! Well...a few minutes into it I experienced sudden intense pain followed by quite a lot of bleeding. The pain was the worst pain I have ever felt in my life. Obviously, we stopped right away and I spent the rest of the night curled up in a little ball. My narcotics from the hysterectomy didn't even touch the pain that continued through the following day.

I realized the next day that something was really wrong. I knew how uncommon it was to tear the cuff but the pain was so bad that I knew that I had injured myself in some way. I called my Dr. who saw me right away. After an exam he confirmed that I had torn my vaginal cuff. He had to do a cleaning and put a few new stitches in to hold it back together. He put me on estrogen cream, antibiotics, pain pills and back to bed rest.

It has now been 3 1/2 days since this little mishap and I still can't get out of bed. I feel worse than when I got home from the hospital after my hysterectomy. My Dr. told me that this is rare especially at 7 1/2 weeks. He said that normally the cuff is healed by 6 weeks.

This has been the most miserable thing I have ever experienced....mentally and physically. Again, not trying to scare anyone but be mindful that this CAN happen. Listen to your Dr. and be careful the first few times that you attempt intercourse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-23-2010, 07:25 AM
Re: 7 1/2 Weeks Post-Op Torn Vaginal Cuff - It can happen

Oh honey, I am so sorry this happened to you. I feel like crying for you. I'm praying you'll feel better soon.
Unread 06-23-2010, 07:27 AM

Oh Ashley Ann, that sounds terrible, I hope you are now recovering and thanks for letting us all know Im only 3 weeks post Op and will add afew weeks on before we do it again
Sharon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-23-2010, 07:42 AM

Ashley Ann, this is soooo terrible what an experience it was for you and your DH. I have had some of these thoughts with out letting my DH, know, I am worried about when we have intercourse the first time.
Unread 06-23-2010, 08:09 AM

I am so sorry this happened to you. Hoping you will feel better soon.
Unread 06-23-2010, 08:26 AM

What a nightmare that must've been! I'm so sorry you had to go thru that. I hope you feel better soon. Let us know how things go for you, okay?
Unread 06-23-2010, 08:49 AM

(((Ashley Ann)))

I'm so sorry you had such a setback. I hope your cuff heals quickly and you feel better soon. Thank you for sharing your story.

Deb
Unread 06-23-2010, 09:10 AM

Ashley Ann~i am so sorry you are hurting and in pain!!

You just stay in that bed and heal up good this time!

Good thoughts going your way!!
Unread 06-23-2010, 02:28 PM

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. I went today to have blood drawn to make sure that the antibiotics have cleared any infection....fingers crossed! I will update you in a few days as to how I'm feeling.

If anyone happens to read this and has been through it, please let me know how long I'm going to feel like this!!
Unread 06-29-2010, 11:44 AM

I'm right behind you.

I've done it twice..!

First time...3 MONTHS after TAH ... now it's 4 months after that! So why so long I waited and still happend... why now again?

So Dr is taking me in to get it sewn up...

Hoy! Sucks getting aold

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register