Simple guide to what I need- is it out there? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Simple guide to what I need- is it out there? Simple guide to what I need- is it out there?

Unread 06-24-2010, 11:46 PM
Simple guide to what I need- is it out there?

Tomorrow will be two weeks since my emergency surgery. My hysterectomy last year left me with only the right ovary. Two weeks ago, I lost it due to torsed adnexa. I'm 32 and feel like a crazy woman! I'm taking estrogen and I have had hypothyroidsm for years. I know I am not the only woman in her 30's to experience surgical menopause, so why is it so hard to find a simple guide to restoring my body back to normal? With all the medical advancements, has anyone written a book, easy to read with plain and simple words mapping out what I need? I came very close to dying and at this point wishing I had. Could someone please just tell me how to make me feel like a human again? The hot flashes are not bad, and the night sweats are managable. The foggy head, unstable balance and moodiness need to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-25-2010, 12:29 AM
Re: Simple guide to what I need- is it out there?

Hi kittenfish77 Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but no, it's not out there because it can't be -- there is no road map, no formula for figuring out what any of us need. We are all individuals, and the HRTs that work for me may not work for you at all.

Add to that the complication of your hypothyroidism and you are definitely not "the norm". It's likely to take you longer than average to figure out what's best for you. Are you seeing an endocrinologist for the hypothyroidism? Since the entire endocrine system is interconnected and you've just lost part of yours, you may find that your meds for the hypothyroidism need adjusting as well, and may change as your estrogen needs change.

You're still very early post op as well, and some symptoms are par for the course whether you're in surgical menopause or not, and even the perfect combination of HRTs for you may not feel so perfect at your early stage of recovery. Patience is a virtue that will serve you well for the time being.

in there, and work closely with your doctors to find the right HRTs and thyroid meds for you.

s,
-Linda
Unread 06-25-2010, 09:44 AM

Ok...thank you so much. As painful as that was to hear, I appreciate your quick response. There is so much information out there and I feel very lost. My thyroid was dx years ago by my primary internal med dr. I will ask him for a referral to an endocrinologist. Any other suggestions? Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-25-2010, 10:19 AM

I had a TAH when i was 26 (I am 40 now) and there is no magic solution. I have tried many many combinations of HRT through the years. The thing is when you try something, stay on it for at least 3 mths to see how its working for you....tweaking is a necessary step through the years. Also finding a GOOD GYN that listens and is willing to work with you. I love my GYN she is the best!
Unread 06-25-2010, 11:53 AM

You may find it helpful to start a journal... I sure did when I was starting out. Write down the date, which vitamins, supplements, HRTs and other meds (including thyroid) you're taking, and all the symptoms you have. This can be very useful when it comes time to talk with your doctor, and also can help you avoid repeating things you've already tried.

Ditto the advice about giving each change plenty of time to work. When you adjust a dose or change HRTs, you may have symptoms purely because of the change, even if what you changed to is a great choice for you, and it is important to get past that adjustment period and see how you'd do over time.

s,
-Linda
Unread 06-25-2010, 04:43 PM

I just got home from seeing my internal med dr. I was having heart palpatations. He couldn't believe the estrogen dose I was on and cut it in half. I was taking Enjuvia 1.25 X2 every am. He said to take just one. Also, he still thinks he can handle my thyroid issue. Sigh- I told him I would be a thorn in his side in making sure we looked at the ENTIRE picture. I really want ALL of my hormones tested. Why is it so hard getting my doctor on board? He took blood to test my thyroid and said he'd check it again in a month even if this sample came back fine. He told me to take Calcium and vitamin D supplements, but didn't address what I read about magnesium, zinc and the b vitamins. Thank you for all your help!
Unread 06-25-2010, 07:04 PM

If you can focus on your thyroid getting balanced first, that really helps. Then estrogen, then progesterone if you decide you need it. My gyn said adding progesterone will change the way the thyroid meds and estrogen replacement compete for binding sites. She was right. I am using thyroid meds and estrogen and progesterone. It's a difficult journey to get balanced, but there is hope. I have an endocrinologist who does the thyroid, my gyn does the other 2.

Know that any time you adjust estrogen, you will need to retest thyroid levels after about 6 weeks. The estrogen and thyroid meds really do interact and adjusting one, will likely result in needing to rebalance the other. Those on thyroid meds, generally need more estrogen than those with a normal thyroid. Like I said, adding progesterone seemed to really help me with the estrogen and thyroid meds canceling each other out.

It's not easy and I hope you have a good dr to help you on this journey. It's very possible though. Best of luck to you!
Unread 06-27-2010, 10:47 PM

THANK YOU! I've been trying to educate myself. But it is quite overwhelming. Your information will help me as I go for my two week follow up on Tuesday. Thank you so much. What is progesterone for?
Unread 06-27-2010, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittenfish77 View Post
THANK YOU! I've been trying to educate myself. But it is quite overwhelming. Your information will help me as I go for my two week follow up on Tuesday. Thank you so much. What is progesterone for?
The progesterone keeps the estrogen in balance therefore reducing the growth of endo that would be fueled by estrogen alone. Not all docs agree with progesterone supplementation after a hysterectomy. It's usually prescribed for menopausal women on estrogen replacement that STILL have a uterus. It seems to be a controversial topic. I find it has a calming effect and balances the estrogen. Too much makes you depressed, sleepy, etc... but I have found with estrogen alone, I tend to hold more water, and adding the progesterone will balance that, and also really helps with sleep (you take it at night). I use oral progesterone capsules (prometrium) that are bio-identical.
Unread 06-29-2010, 11:03 PM

I had my follow up appointment today with my GYN. He's frustrated that my Primary doctor reduced my estrogen. My Primary doctor is frustrated that my GYN put me on a high dose. I'm caught in the middle. I did convince my GYN (because my primary won't) to refer me to an endocrinologist. Hopefully the endo can do both and get it right! On the bright side, I can start exercising and go swimming. Do you know how hard it is to watch the kiddos in the pool, while sitting under the umbrella having hot flashes in 102 degree temps? Thanks for all the advice, I LOVE this site!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register