Hot flashes night sweats~ | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hot flashes night sweats~ Hot flashes night sweats~

Unread 06-28-2010, 07:25 PM
Hot flashes night sweats~

I do NOT want to get on HRT~

But the hot flashes and night sweats are driving me insane.

I heard it takes 3-6 months to "even out". It has been 12 weeks and has only gotten worse.

If i was to chose to go "HRT", i plan on not taking a very high dose and i am thinking of adding some antidepressants to help me along.

My question~and i am not sure if i should post under this thread...

which HRT works best for you all~
which antidepressant works best for you all~

i can't do this anymore...i am trying to stay strong. i don't want to go on HRT cause i have a genetic condition that causes tumors to grow~and i can't take "black koash" cuz i have cysts on my liver...agh!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2010, 09:40 PM
Re: Hot flashes night sweats~

I'm not so sure I'd count on them getting better in 3 or 6 mos so good to have a plan. Antidepressants are a bit differerent for each person but I know Effexor is one used a lot for hot flashes. You might want to look into clonidine, too. For my 10+ yrs hot flashes I never used HRT. I have a fan with remote control for the bedroom, and something similar to a chillow, wish I knew the name. Then after my BSO I had to finally use HRT, and a low dose patch works well for me, probably lower than would work for most. Have you considered acupuncture also? That might be good in your case. Hope you find some relief soon.
Unread 06-29-2010, 01:59 AM

I am having the night sweats but not the hot flashes (yet!). I keep a bottle of cool water by the bed and find if I throw off the covers and swig some water it goes away pretty fast. I wake up on average twice a night at the moment, only five weeks in so not sure what is ahead of me. Also not on any hormone replacement as doctor did not advise it.

Hope you feel better soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-29-2010, 07:45 AM

I was told it would take about 3-6 months~i didn't see that happening either.

My hot flashes hit me during the day about 15+times.
My night sweats hit me about 5+ times at night.

I haven't tried a fan...but i am willing to give it a try.
I will try to the water bottle too.
I will try about anything at this point~
I sleep with just a tank top and panties~wake up with nothing on.
Hair matted to me and i feel all slimy and gross. "gag"

My appt is the 7/7 going to talk about some low dose HRT and a antidepressant. I just can't do this anymore....can't sleep, sick of feeling stinky and nasty.

Not to mention i have horrible anxiety now, worse than PMS. That is what usually sets off the hot flashes.
Unread 06-29-2010, 08:19 AM

daisyforest, sorry to hear about your troubles..... I'm on HRT (since surgery on 5/19) and still have nightsweats! I'll be six weeks post op tomorrow and had some nightsweats a few weeks ago; changed the Vivelle dot to my back to get a higher dosage and that seemed to take care of it. Now the nightsweats are back and I woke up several times in sweat last night and the night before. I don't notice hot flashes but I have had many in the last couple of years. Ofcourse it's 95 degrees here and I probably wouldn't notice any hot flashes right now Having both hot flashes and night sweats every day like that sounds miserable. I hope your doctor has some answers for you. Will be thinking of you.
Unread 06-29-2010, 08:27 AM

thanks corlaprof~i am just at my wits end now. I just want a good nights sleep!
Unread 06-29-2010, 02:35 PM

I take natural supplements...obviously something you can't do but I also take Gaba for anxiety/minor depression. The Gaba works better, for me, than any prescription. Just a thought...something to discuss with your doctor.

All the best.
Unread 06-29-2010, 09:43 PM

Hi

I'm am wondering why you are so set against Hormone Replacement? HRT is the replacement of hormones that your ovaries (if healthy) would be providing you. There are many HRT choices available, many are bio-identical to what your own body made.

Other hormones that people take when their bodies no longer provide, are thyroid and insulin. HRT for surgical menopause (which is a whole different thing than natural menopause) is really the same idea. I know I would rather use it than anti-depresants. I don't have a problem with antidepressants either, but if the problem lies in the lack of a needed hormone then it might not be the best choice.

Some women, of course, can't take any estrogen if they have an estrogen fed cancer, or endometriosis. But, it really does provide us with heart and bone health, and can make a big difference in quality of life. I know it does for me.

I'm not trying to change your mind. I was just wondering if you had all the information.

Kay
Unread 06-29-2010, 10:11 PM

I take premerin .03, I didn't start taking it until one month after the surgery. I was having horrible hotflashes and night sweats. also panic attacks. They stopped within 3 days of taking the hormones, it is a very low dose. Give it a try, you can always stop. I take mine before bed because it made me a little quezzy. Doc said I should take them for about 7 years, we will see!
My friend called them "her happy pills"
Unread 06-30-2010, 07:55 AM

After having nightsweats two nights in a row, I took a vitamin E supplement yesterday (in addition to my HRT). Oh, yes, it worked! I am going to research the specific foods that can help me keep taking the lowest HRT dose needed. I guess I need to add soy to my diet. Does the black cohosh really work? I would never do without HRT if I needed it. I will probably only need it a few years anyway. Good luck with getting everything under control.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register