A new puppy...Now? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A new puppy...Now? A new puppy...Now?

Unread 06-29-2010, 09:49 PM
A new puppy...Now?

Am I crazy? My surgery (daVinci hysterectomy with Rt ovary removal) is scheduled for July 14-exactly 2 weeks from now. About a week ago I felt this need to get a new puppy. Anyway, I found one. Will I be physically able to care for a new puppy after 1 1/2 weeks of recovery? I will have help until then. I am unsure how quick the expected recovery is for this type of surgery. I want to move forward and have this to enjoy, but don't want to overwhelm myself either. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-29-2010, 10:00 PM
Re: A new puppy...Now?

I don't recommend one now. Puppies are labor intensive for a long time, and require lots of attention and schedule. I doubt you'll be on that wavelength for a while, and you need to be fair to the puppy. It takes some time to feel up to a puppy, IMO. Good luck with your recovery.
Unread 06-29-2010, 10:29 PM

I'd wait a little bit longer too. Any way this puppy can stay just a few more weeks where it is?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-29-2010, 11:27 PM

I got one about 3weeks ago..knowing I was having surgery too..he was sooooo cute..and yea I said was..he got parvo after been here 11days, and died 2 days later..so while I was looking forward to the puppy, and would have just managed him...for me it would have been ok..but now I am sad and miss him..he was only 10weeks..and oh so cute...He had to of gotten it before we had him..but I say if you think you can do it..they are snugglers and it might be nice to have someone to lay with you..and well keep you company...
Unread 06-30-2010, 03:33 AM

It might be best to wait until you have had your 6 week check up before having a puppy. You could ask the breeder if they could keep the puppy for an extra few weeks, as suggested by ravenzwife.

It would depend on any restrictions you have been given about bending after the op, I wasn't allowed to for 6 weeks after my TAH. If you are toilet training a new puppy there will be 'accidents' that you have to deal with and you will also have to pick up and put down food and water bowls on the floor.

On the plus side you won't be able to take the puppy out in public at the beginning until it's had all it's jabs, so walks will be out. Then after the 2 sets of jabs it will be short walks, which would be ok as long as it isn't a big puppy that will pull. If I remember from mine as a puppy she slept a lot of the time, but did want to play. As long as it doesn't jump up on you and isn't too boisterous you should be ok.
Unread 06-30-2010, 12:17 PM

I have to agree 100% with greyown. I am 7 1/2 months out and still would not be able to deal with a puppy. Thank god my older animals just seem to understand I have not been myself.
Unread 06-30-2010, 02:58 PM

I can not imagine having to be sole caregiver for a new puppy right now. Of course my procedure was TAH, so a bit more invasive. I would say not a good idea, unless you have help.
Unread 06-30-2010, 03:24 PM

I had a da Vinci with everything removed. My husband was talking about getting another dog (not a puppy, but sometimes that's just as labor intensive) recently. Today is week 11 for me post-op. The first 4 weeks I was napping lots. Thankfully my DH works from home and was able to get our dog out on a regular basis.

Getting up and down several times a day from either a recliner, a bed, or a chair is going to be wearing on you. Bending isn't usually a huge problem after da Vinci, however, lifting is! You don't mention the breed, but I found that lifting our 6# cat off of our bed wasn't a terrific idea after weeks 5 and 6 post-op.

Waiting would be the best thing to do, for you and the puppy. If you watch The Dog Whisperer, you'll see what I'm hinting at here. We got our current dog (he was over a year old and a rescue mutt) 3 months after my back surgery, which was not a good idea. He was injured while my DH was out of the house and I ended up having to get him out of his predicament and to the vets. 60 stitches and a drain tube later, I had to teach him to lay down and roll over so I could treat his wounds twice a day. I didn't have (and still don't have) the physical ability to wrestle with him to get him to do as I asked, so I had no choice but to be "the stern mom" with him, which ended up making me the "pack leader" in spite of my surgery. Getting up and down off of the floor several times a day was extremely draining. Chasing after a puppy would be just as difficult.

I keep seeing so many sisters posting in the post-op area how they over do stuff just by driving a few blocks to get their nails done 3 and 4 weeks after. A puppy would be a bigger burden than you realize.

Maybe a stuffed dog? Take it with you to the castle? I took my favorite stuffed cat... !
Unread 06-30-2010, 07:25 PM

I'd wait on a puppy... VERY labor intensive, and could prove to be disastrous for you, what with the chasing after, cleaning up, supervising, and training you would need to do.

If anything, you might want to consider an adult dog, already housebroken and over the chewing stage. But it's so close to your surgery, the dog you bring home may not be the right dog to have while you recover.

I have 2 dogs, one very independent, the other, not at all as she is blind and deaf. I'm bringing in a pet-sitter to feed and clean up after them for 5 days. After that, I'll be taking that over. The blind and deaf one no longer lets herself out, so like a puppy, I have to take her out, and bring her back in. Just last night I came home to find she had napped in her poop and I had to toss her into the tub. I'm still wondering how I'll deal with that for the first couple of weeks.
Unread 06-30-2010, 10:53 PM

You'll need sleep and no exertion, both of which are impossible with a little puppy! Put off your adoption until you take care of yourself first, and then you can be your best for your new friend.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register