TAH smoker... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH smoker... TAH smoker...

Unread 06-30-2010, 06:14 AM
TAH smoker...

Any other smokers or previous smokers? I would quit if I wasnt more stressed than Ive ever been in my entire life.... I would like to know if you quit or tried other methods???? There is that new smokeless cigarette???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-30-2010, 09:26 AM
Re: TAH smoker...

I'm a smoker. I quit for the three days i was in the hospital after TAH/BSO (didn't even miss it) then picked it right back up when I got home. I would like to look into those smokeless cigs. Patches and gum just make me feel sick. Anyway, I know this probably isn't much help but I would say that right now you need to focus on getting through your surgery and recovery. Worry about your cig addiction later.....too much stress at one time is not good for healing. Neither is smoking i suppose, but we must choose our battles in order of priority.
Unread 06-30-2010, 10:27 AM

I am not a regular smoker, but I have tried the electronic cigs and they are pretty darn cool. Since they use water vapor, there is no smoke which is very nice. (And no smell.) You can get different nicotine levels, so when you are ready to quit you can step down gradually, or even smoke the nicotine free catridges. (Not sure if that's what they call them though!) If I was still a regular smoker I would definitely be looking into converting to the "e-cigs". Hopefully that helps you a bit!

Good luck with everything!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-30-2010, 10:49 AM

Thanks for the replies. I don't think I can quit right now but I will try those e cigs.
Unread 06-30-2010, 10:52 AM

I had my tah on June 8 and smoked, my last day of smoking was on the 7th. It's been very hard but I hadn't gone back since.
Lenala
Unread 06-30-2010, 10:53 AM

I am a smoker and was told I could not have a cigarette 48 hours prior to surgery!! I just had a LAVH on June 18th. I thought I was gonna kill someone, that was the longest 2 days of my life I was a nervous wreck. I did pick up the habit again and I know I need to quit............
Unread 06-30-2010, 12:01 PM

I'm a smoker going for TAH on July 2nd. A tip for all of us with fits, ask your doctor if you can have a nicotine patch. That way you don't have to deal with the gum. I know that gum makes me feel sickly.

I'm going to quit. One day. I've been through too much recently to quit. Surgery coming up, HRT coming up, lost my cousin on Father's Day, buried him Saturday, lost another family member two days ago. *sigh*

Yep. Cigarette.

Oh and those new vapor cigs are awesome! My friend has one and they even light up when you pull on it. Freaked me out because after hitting his cigarette, he stuck it in his breast pocket and I flipped out "OMG WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!"

Hehe.

Much luck ladies.
Unread 06-30-2010, 02:21 PM

Yea, they told me it'd be best to quit, been smoking since I was 14, (now 48), and I have a deep setted cough. I smoked till one hour before surgery, and lit one the next day soon as I was out hospital. Don't dispute I need to quit, but after so long smoking, it aint gonna happen over night. And I was somewhat afraid of injuring myself with all that coughing I do, but, I'm doing great, doctor released me 2 weeks ago. Hope you do great also, stop worrying, you'll be fine. You're right bout stress, & smoking does ease it, for me anyway.
Hope you have speedy recovery. It was the best decision I've ever made for me. And I'm so glad I found this site, or I might have backed out.
Here's hoping a speedy recovery for every sister..
Unread 06-30-2010, 04:14 PM

I've been a pack a day smoker for 24 years...I had my last cig Wed, surgery on Thurs, and haven't picked up a cig yet! Wish me luck! I decided to take advantage of my recovery time from surgery to quit. We'll see if it sticks when I actually leave the house and go back to my normal routine...but so far it's been 7 days nicotene free!
Unread 06-30-2010, 04:26 PM

Woohoo! Go Kathryn! I wish you the best of luck XD

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register