Cervical Cancer: Cervical Cancer (Adenocarcenoma) spreading to ovaries | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cervical Cancer (Adenocarcenoma) spreading to ovaries Cervical Cancer (Adenocarcenoma) spreading to ovaries

Unread 06-30-2010, 09:15 PM
Cervical Cancer (Adenocarcenoma) spreading to ovaries

I just wanted to ask if there is anyone out there who has/had cervical cancer, either adenocarcinoma or squamous cell carcinoma whose cancer spread to the ovaries. I hear there is a 5%-8% chance of this happening.

Any info you have on this topic would be appreciated.

Lynda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-01-2010, 08:14 PM
Re: Cervical Cancer (Adenocarcenoma) spreading to ovaries

Hmmm . . . I don't think the ovaries are the "usual" path for cervical cancer (as indicated by the low % you quoted). Othewise, they'd recommend taking everyone's ovaries for treatment which they don't. I had my ovaries removed since I had a previous history of cancer. Per my gyn/onc, the vaginal vault area is the most likely place for a recurrence, although technically, adenocarcinoma can "jump" to more distant areas (but, this is VERY rare!).

Hopefully, someone will be along with more specific information for you.

Hugs!
monami
Unread 07-02-2010, 09:53 AM

I do not think cc spreads to the ovaries. My understanding is that if it spreads, it goes to the lymph nodes, lungs, brain and liver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-02-2010, 01:14 PM

Thanks Monami and Ann Mann. I have heard pretty much what you both reiterated, but I'm really curious how many people who got cervical cancer were later treated for ovarian as well...I guess I shouldn't have said "spread" really.....maybe the statistic the doctor gave me was more a "second diagnosis of ovarian after getting cervical" rather than a "spread" per se????

I know ovarian and breast cancer are somehow linked...boy these "linkings" and the "path of spreading" of things is really confusing....what a complex thing to figure out!

If you are wondering why I'm going on about this it's because I'm trying to decide whether or not to let them take my ovaries during my radical hysterectomy...even though I only have cervical cancer ....

If anyone knows the about this, please share.....

Lynda
Unread 07-02-2010, 04:38 PM

Yes, that is a tough decision. After all, you're talking about removing perfectly healthy organs. In my case, the gyn/onc recommended removing them right up front. I think the fact that I'd already had three melanomas weighed in that decision. I was 37 at the time. Everyone around me also agreed that getting rid of them was the thing to do.

Sometimes I'll joke that of all the things I've lost, I miss my ovaries the most. But, I do have the peace of mind that ovarian cancer will not be in my future. And, that's not a small thing.

Continue doing research, discuss it with your docs and folks whose opinions you trust. Weigh the pros and cons. Then, go with your gut feeling, sweetie.

Unread 07-03-2010, 12:38 AM

I have never heard of any relationship between cervical cancer and ovarian cancer. I suppose you might later get ovarian cancer but you could also get brain cancer or melanoma. I wouldn't have my ovaries removed without a reason, such as ovarian cancer running rampant in my family.

BTW, today I am SEVEN years out from treatment! YIPPEEEEE!!!!!
Unread 07-03-2010, 06:58 AM

I agree with Denton. Your ovaries are your friends unless there's a strong family history of ovarian cancer. I had mine removed out of ignorance; I wish I had known better and kept them.

Denton - Congrats!!! Life is good!
Unread 07-03-2010, 04:53 PM

I understand the desire to keep the ovaries, but given that ovarian cancer is very rarely found until the late stages, I'm not sure I'm willing to take that chance, even if me getting it is unlikely.

It's a hard call and a very personal decision. Thank you to everyone who has replied so far for sharing your thoughts and experiences.

Lynda
Unread 07-06-2010, 08:32 AM

I have endometrioid adenocarcinoma found in both the uterus and ovary, and I had precancerous cells in the cervix. They're not sure if mine started in the uterus or ovary. My understanding is that the spread from uterus to ovary or vice versa is pretty normal but I don't know anything about cervical cancer spreading to the ovary.

If you told us your age, I missed it. How close are you to menopause? That's something to consider. Is your cancer already in the uterus?

Will they be doing a pelvic wash and lymph node biopsy? I think that's important. Also, are you seeing a gynecological oncologist? They're the experts.

Sorry for all the questions. You don't have to answer.
Unread 07-08-2010, 02:51 PM

Hi IowaCat Lover,

I don't mind answering questions. They did a D&C and said they found cancer cells in the curretage, of course because they scrape the whole lining of the uterus it's hard to know if the cancer cells present came from the part of the uterus that connects to the cervix which is supposed to be the primary site of the tumour, or did it come from further up in the cervix from some other primary site?

I too heard that uterine cancer can spread to ovaries....and that cervical doesn't spread to ovaries, but my dilemma is the test result that showed "fragments of adenocarcinoma in the currettage" of the uterus.

So, does this mean I have cancer in my uterus...most would say no because they already found the cervical cancer (primary site). I'm just not sure what other tests they would need to do to see if there was another tumour in the uterus?? In short, they are calling mine cervical cancer because there is indeed a tumour on the cervix which is right up against the bottom of the uterus.

I am 42 so not that far from menopause. I've decided (I think) to have the ovaries removed even though they don't show signs of cancer. I figure I'll be in menopause soon enough anyway. They will be removing all or most of my pelvic lymph nodes in the surgery too and testing them.

And, yes, I just finally got referred to a gyno-oncologist and he is the one doing the surgery. My Ob/GYN was a good doctor...but "zero" beside manner...I'm glad to be rid of him!

Lynda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register