i'm 34 and having surgery next week--have hrt questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

i'm 34 and having surgery next week--have hrt questions i'm 34 and having surgery next week--have hrt questions

Unread 07-01-2010, 12:17 AM
i'm 34 and having surgery next week--have hrt questions

hello, i have been lurking on this site for a while and have been in awe of the support it provides. i am having surgery next week and have some questions re: hrt. i am 34 yrs old and will be having a total hysterectomy (i will lose my last remaining ovary, and had the other one removed a few years ago). my issues have mainly been endo, cysts and now fibroids. i also have higher CA 125 levels than "normal". my CA 125 levels were high before my last surgery and i was told (after surgery) that it had been due to endo. now they are high again (38). here are my main questions:
1) i have been prescribed 1 mg of estradiol and 200 mg prometrium to begin post op day 1. are these hormones considered to be bioidentical?? i am finding conflicting info online.
2) did anyone else have high ca 125 levels due to endo?
3) if i have endo should i explore being hrt free??
4) could i be healthy emotionally and physically as a 34 yr old with no hormones???
thank you from the bottom of my heart for your input!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-01-2010, 08:50 AM
Re: i'm 34 and having surgery next week--have hrt questions

Hello, amv!

I'm glad you found HysterSisters and joined.

Estradiol and Prometrium are both bio-identical hormones so if your preference is to use bio-identicals, those two fall into that category.

I don't have any personal experience with endometriosis, so hopefully others will be along to speak to your concerns that relate to that diagnosis. I think it's good that your doctor is prescribing both estrogen and progesterone as the progesterone can help counteract the effect that estrogen has on endometriosis. (Estrogen "feeds" endometriosis.)

I was 46 at the time of my hysterectomy and I'm 54 now, still using hormones. I can't imagine life without my hormones and my doctor is in agreement. I can stay on them forever if that's my wish. I do go for annual well woman checkups which include having a mammogram, breast exam, and a pelvic exam with Pap (which is actually a vaginal vault smear since I no longer have my cervix). So far all is well and my doctor continues to renew my hormone therapy prescriptions.

Best wishes for your upcoming surgery! Be sure to visit the Pre-Op Hysterectomy Support message board for general support and to ask questions that relate to surgery and recovery. In addition, there's good information for you to use in the Pre-Op Page

Unread 07-01-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amv View Post
1) i have been prescribed 1 mg of estradiol and 200 mg prometrium to begin post op day 1. are these hormones considered to be bioidentical?? i am finding conflicting info online.
Yes they are!

3) if i have endo should i explore being hrt free??
That's a personal choice or rather one you could discuss with your dr. I had that goal after ovaries and uterus were gone (have endo too) but only lasted about 4-5 days after surgery before I called the dr for the prescription! (Granted though, I had so little estrogen going into ovary removal that there were no estrogen reserves stored).

4) could i be healthy emotionally and physically as a 34 yr old with no hormones???
That depends on the quality of life you choose. I had my TVH at 33 and my ovaries shut down within months - lived for a number of years with very low (post-menopausal levels) estrogen without realizing it. It was miserable. Now that I'm on HRT, life is so much better than those years without enough estrogen (though endo was still active). If you can work out a good plan with your dr that addresses the endo risks and provides the HRT for bone health, brain health, heart health, sexual health, urinary health, etc... then I'd do that (JMHO).

I frankly would HATE life with NO HORMONES (in surgical menopause but no HRT). Of course it's always a trade-off if you have endo as the estrogen can feed whatever endo was not excised. Your dr at least is adding prometrium to your regimen which really does help with keeping endo somewhat suppressed but it can still grow. I use estradiol and prometrium daily and had to make a lot of adjustments to find what worked for me. If you have endo symptoms that return, you could cut back on the estrogen, increase the progesterone (discuss with your dr). This is best discussed and decided upon with your dr as we're all different and have differing needs. Best of luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-11-2010, 08:27 PM

Dear AMV,
You are stil very young if I were you I would not take out your remaining ovary unless it's absolutely necessary. I had a TAH/BSO in 12/08 and totally regret it. I was told for many years I had endometriosis and at the age of 45 decieded to take everything out. I did HRT Estradiol 1mg for 1 1/2 years and was just diagnosed with breast cancer. My advice to you is really try to keep you original parts and let your body go through menopause naturally. I too only had one ovary left when I had my surgery. I'm now off HRT because of breast cancer and am having a hard time. I feel anxious and scared. I will say this HRT made me feel great and now it's like my body is having withdrawls. I wish someone would have shared this with me instead of telling me it's the best thing I will ever do. See another MD for a second opinion once the ovary is gone there is no going back. Keep me posted.
Unread 07-11-2010, 10:56 PM

hi, thank you for your response. i had surgery this past wed and had everything removed. i was told that the endo was everywhere...even wrapped around my colon and bladder. i am curious...do you think hrt is what caused your breast cancer? is that what the docs tell you?? i am terrified of hrt...but i am 34 and have to do something...i am on estradiol 1mg and prometrium at night.
Unread 07-20-2010, 05:15 PM

We are very similar.....

I just turnd 33 in June. Had my left ovary removed in 06 due to a complex cyst on it. Found another on my right ovary when I was preggo with my 1yo. Had right ovary and uterus removed on 4/6/10 but kept my cervix not knowing I would later be diagnosed with endo and adenomyosis after my path report came back. My dr Rx me Estrace 2mg at my 2 week post-op appt to start taking at 3wks post-op. I questioned that b/c I had read that endo feeds off of estrogen, but he basically just blew off my questions and told me to take it. Oh, and he told me I had to quit smoking or I was going to have side effects, which I know I should quit but its not just that easy! So I took the Estrace for a few days and had a bad headache each day so I stopped. Not only b/c of the headaches, but b/c something just told me to follow my first instinct and not take it b/c of the endo. They found the endo and adeno cells where they cut my uterus/cervix and I DO NOT want that crap to grow back and have another surgery! I had a hormone shot the day after my hyster that my dr said would last me 1 month, hence not starting my estrace till 3wks post-op. So anyways, I had read that if you wait 3-4 months to start hrt that gives the cells that are left time to basically starve and die without estrogen. Here it is 3 1/2 mo post op and I am exploring the HRT forums again, lol! I have horrible hot flashes and night sweats, but my main concern right now is heart and bone problems. I just chipped my ankle bone, and didn't even injure it, which has led me back to here to search the archives and see what I can find out about how soon can bone loss begin without hrt. I have a number for an ortho dr I have to make an appt with and the nurse said I should ask about bone loss related to my hyster when I go. My dr never tested my levels before my surgery, but the complex cyst had completely engulfed it and it wouldn't surprise me if my ovary had stopped functioning a long while back. We'll never know now though. I wish my dr had tested all that stuff..... I'm thinking of finding a new dr, even though I've been with my ob/gyn for 8yrs. He seems too busy these days to talk and answer my questions and come up with a plan to make us both happy. He just said "take these, your too young to not take them." Nice. So I am pretty much in limbo right now, looking for more info. I'm not really worried about the whole cancer being a side effect of hrt. My dr did tell me that the old study which said there was a connection between hrt and cancer had been proven to be faulty and it was not proven to be true. I googled and found info that backed up what he told me. He also had said that the study was messed up b/c most of the women in the study were of older age and probably would have developed cancer without hrt, and that they need to do a study of younger women. He had told me this in a convo pre-op. But I have found this to be as controversial as vaccinating babies, lol. IDK what to believe anymore. So much conflicting info out there!
Ahhhh, decisions, decisions!
Good luck to you!
Unread 07-20-2010, 05:41 PM
Smile - i'm 34 and having surgery next week--have hrt questions Re: i'm 34 and having surgery next week--have hrt questions

hey...just wanted you to know that i had surgery on 7/7 and my doctor removed everything...and that i ended up having endo all over the place even wrapped around my bladder and colon because of my age and the fact that he removed everything and didnt want me to have a lot of menopausal symptoms i started hrt the saturday after my surgery. i have done SO well. not very many hot flashes and that is the only symptom i have had at all. i am on estradiol and prometrium (both of which are bioidentical) i go in a couple of weeks for my bloodwork to see what my levels are and if we need to adjust anything but so far i feel really, really great. i am also on a TON of supplements and vitamins...but thats it. i havent even needed pain meds since the saturday after my surgery (the same day i started taking hrt). i feel very blessed...and looking forward to being able to get around better soon--i feel slow right now...but i have 4 kids and they want to be active all the time...and i cant quite keep up with them yet. what i was going to say to you is to see if you can find anyone in your area that specializes in hormones...i LOVE my gyn but i ended up finding a PA that's specialty is bioidenticals...and she has been great!!! many blessings to you!!
Unread 07-20-2010, 05:48 PM

Hi amv I had a total hysterectomy when I was 22 and was put on hrt for many years, I am now 37 but last year I got taken off hrt because I had a breast lump (which thankfully turned out to be benin) and was also diagnosed with high blood pressure. At first I was distraught thinking how could l live my life without hormones and go thru the menopause at 36 but honestly I only had hot flushes for 2 weeks and since I came off it I have been fine (apart from a tvt op last week but that's nothing to do with the hrt) and even my blood pressure has come down now. I'm so glad I'm off it now because of all the worry of side effects from it but its up to the individual whether they take it or not. I know how u r feeling at mo its very daunting and scarey but feel free to message me if u wud like any more advice. I too had my hyster for endo. Well good luck with it all and let me know how u r. From vicky
Unread 07-21-2010, 04:51 PM

amv,
I'm happy to hear that you're doing well. That is great!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register