When to Return to Work | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

When to Return to Work When to Return to Work

Unread 07-01-2010, 12:41 PM
When to Return to Work

Hi Ladies,

I had my post-op appt. this morning and since doctor said I am healing very well she is leaving the decision to return to work up to me. It has only been 2 weeks but I am going crazy at home. I have read 5 books and I don't know how many magazines and daytime television is getting boring. I am the supervisor of 5 ladies and the right hand to a Captain and a Lieutenant (law enforcement) and I know the minute I walk through the door at work it will be nonstop movement. I am thinking of staying home for another month just to make sure I am completely healed and ready to return to work. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-01-2010, 12:56 PM
Re: When to Return to Work

I am 4 weeks post op today and plan on being out at least another two to four weeks. I have a desk job and a 40 minute commute each way...so I'm waiting. While I feel I am healing well, slow but well, I don't want to mess this up. I am embracing the phrase "you only get one chance to heal right"!

I have a laparascopy, hysteroscopy, ablation, and removal of endo and fibroids in December 2009. I was back to work 2 weeks later and regretted it for the next two months! I ruined Christmas and suffered needlessly.

I would wait out the four extra weeks...I felt better at week two than I did at week three. Today at exactly week four I feel the best yet...but no way am I ready.

Good luck! B
Unread 07-01-2010, 01:47 PM

I've on week five and I'm thankful I'm an on-call instructor b/c I'm physically not capable of driving all the way to work, doing my job, and then driving home. I am DYING to go back to work...but I want to give it a little bit more time. On the times that I have tried driving too much I've been wiped out afterward.

My thoughts? If you can take time off do it. Find other things to do to deal with the boredom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-01-2010, 02:05 PM

Thanks Angelkisses02 and BipolarGirl. I am very lucky that I can take the time off. Job has me down to return the middle of August so I'm OK there. I've figured out that there are things I can do around the house like cleaning out my closets and getting rid of unnecessary junk. Thank you again ladies for the advise. Continue to heal well
Unread 07-01-2010, 02:08 PM

gina130,
What type of hyst did you have? I had TAH/BSO, and my dr has said minimum of 6 weeks. You have to consider not only the job duties, but also the fact that you will have added stress (even though it might be good stress, it's still stress) when you return to work. Our bodies need time for rest and as little stress as possible when healing. I am fortunate that I am a teacher and won't be required to return to work until mid-August, so I have extra time away from the "life in the fast lane" work world to heal. My advice is if you can afford to stay off another week or two, you should give yourself more time to heal. Please keep us posted on how you are doing!
Unread 07-01-2010, 02:28 PM

Hi txhsteacher,
I had a LSH (uterus only) on 6/15. You are absolutely right about the stress:lol I am extremely lucky and blessed that I can afford to stay out and that is exactly what I plan to do, at least for the next few weeks anyway. I just ordered some more books to read. Thank you for the advice and be well.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register