Questions- abnormal ultrasound, as well as general questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions- abnormal ultrasound, as well as general questions Questions- abnormal ultrasound, as well as general questions

Unread 07-04-2010, 08:49 AM
Questions- abnormal ultrasound, as well as general questions

I am 43 years old. I had been having problems with my periods for a while. Found out in December 2008 that I was extremely anemic. Had a D&C, colonoscopy, prescription iron for 7 months (ended up having to do 10 IV iron treatments this spring because my levels were still low). In June of last year, I had a Novasure ablation. It was wonderful. The doc said she got almost complete coverage, one the best in terms of coverage. I did not bleed at all until March of this year. I started bleeding, usually light, for 5-10 days every 2 weeks or so. Now is it up to every 7 days or so. I went in for an ultrasound in early June. I had my follow-up last week. She said that the ultrasound showed some concerning things, but it is hard to know what is the result of the ablation and what could be something else. She was going to do a biopsy, but I have had terrible issues with those and was very, very anxious about it. She decided not to do one, since we decided to go ahead and take out my uterus and cervix. I have had 2 c-sections, so she said she would not be able to do a vaginal hysterectomy alone. She also said my vagina is extremely narrow and all my organs are very stable and show very little movement, so there is a 50% chance that though she will try a lap. assisted vaginal hysterectomy, she may have to end up opening me up anyway. I am ok with this, just makes it harder to plan for how long I will be in the hospital. My surgery date is July 21.

I have a couple of questions. First of all, I am concerned about what the ultrasound showed. While I have had bleeding issues in the past, they have never been like this. I am also having pain and pressure in that area as well as my lower back. I am assuming they will test the uterus after it is out. If it shows abnormal cells, would they then have to go back in and take my ovaries? My doc was reassured that the path reports from the D&C right before the ablation showed all normal cells. But, I am concerned that something has popped up since then. I always seem to be the 1 in 100 that has the strange thing happen.

Now for what might seem like trivial questions. I have decided that women who have to have a hysterectomy get to get new jammies, so I am going to get some. I am typically a nightgown person. I am having trouble finding ones I like, so I was looking at jammie sets. I wondered if it was annoying to have something around your waist, and if a nightgown might be better after the surgery. Also, I wondered what kind of underwear is best for post-surgery. I usually wear ones that hit at my hips. Will those be ok? Or would ones that sit higher on the waist be better?

I am doing ok with this. Once is a while I have a freak out moment, but I just try to get occupied doing something else and breathe through it. I have soooo much to get done before surgery.

I appreciate any insight and information. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-04-2010, 11:53 AM
Re: Questions- abnormal ultrasound, as well as general questions

I am not sure about the ultrasound questions, but I can help you on the jammie part. I'm usually a sleep pant and shirt kinda gal, but since my hyster on July 2, anything on my waist just feels really really wrong. So I bought up some huge (like 2 sizes bigger) granny pants I think they are Hanes no ride up hi cuts. I've needed a pad for a tad bit of vaginal discharge, but that's about it. I've also decided I'll just wear big shirts around the house. I'm usually a large or xlarge, but I have 2 and 3x shirts to loaf around in. Definitely get you something you're comfy in and like.

Just keep breathing and you'll be fine. I hope someone will be along shortly to help with the ultrasound question. Much luck and speedy recovery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register