What the heck was that? A Hot Flash? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What the heck was that? A Hot Flash? What the heck was that? A Hot Flash?

Unread 07-06-2010, 09:27 AM
What the heck was that? A Hot Flash?

On July 4th, when I woke up I felt that something was "not right". This has happened to me in the past, and is bound to happen again. I am 48 years old, and still get my periods. In the last few months they have been coming 3-5 days earlier than I have been expecting them. I have a 22cm uterus that I believe is giving me these issues. I am planning to have my hyst in December. Anyway, I sometimes wake with BAD abdominal pain in the mornings that can only be relieved by sitting down (because standing or walking hurts) and drinking a carbonated beverage until I burp, and I burp ALOT when this happens. Anyway, July 4 started like this....so, I started my day off with my usual coffee and a can of soda.

Because of the size of my uterus, I had expected to have to use the restroom fairly quickly, but my husband and I had plans to go to a flea market. Since I was feeling so much better, we left. The flea market was about an hour away by car, and I almost made it there. We were about 5 minutes away when I had to pee URGENTLY, so we stopped at a McDonalds. I used the restroom, and ordered both of us a smoothie. My husband had just started the car, when I had to go AGAIN, just as urgently. I ran into the building next door which was a Newport Creamery, and went again.
The flea market was only about 5 minutes down the road, but I almost didn't make it. I was in agony before we were in the entrance, and I used the portopotty right away. 15 minutes later I had to use it again....
I estimate I had to go 4 times within a half an hour.....

I started walking around, and my stomach started hurting, and I started feeling weak and a little sick. It was hot outside, at least in the mid 80s. I decided to go inside where there was air conditioning so I told my husband where I would be. By the time I found the chairs near the inside entrance, I was feeling pretty badly. Suddenly my sight was blurry and I felt like I was in a fog, and the only way I can describe it was a "faraway " feeling. I had to close my eyes, as I was getting motion sickness keeping them open. Then I started to sweat. I mean really really sweat. My whole face was drenched, and literally dripping. I could feel sweat dripping down my back, and down my jaw and chin....and down my cheeks. I just had to sit there with my eyes closed and moved only to wipe away the sweat.

I am not sure how long it lasted. It was probably only a few minutes. It was a while before I felt good enough to try standing up but when I did I was completely fine, like nothing had happened. I ended up walking around the flea market, going out to lunch, going to Building 19, Bed Bath and Beyond, Harbor Freight tools, grocery shopping...visiting the inlaws for dinner and going to a wonderful cookout and fireworks display later in the evening...well, you get the idea. When I felt better, I was truly better. But while I was sick it was SCARY.

Was this a hot flash? Do hot flashes make you dizzy and sick? Has this ever happened to anyone here? The thing that happened to me in the morning has happened to me before, and I think I have had this sweating thing once or twice too, but rarely in the same morning....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-06-2010, 10:21 AM
Re: What the heck was that? A Hot Flash?

Hi

That does not sound like a hot flash .

I have experienced that pain though, it was caused by diverticulitis.

My said pain that severe causes the nausea, dizziness, lightheadedness, and sweating. The pain left as quickly as it came, and I was able to stand up and continue on. You should discuss this with your Dr.

Kay
Unread 07-06-2010, 10:50 AM
Re: What the heck was that? A Hot Flash?

It could be diverticulitus, since the pain is similar. My husband just had surgery for diverticulitus in May. His had progressed into 2 fistulas, a blockage and adhesions. He has had the disease for years. He was with me when I was sick that day, and said that his symptoms were never like that. With him, he could feel it coming on for days, and he would get so sick he couldn't function for days at a time, and it would be weeks before he felt ok again. He said if I had diverticulitus (or at least the type he had), that I would not have recovered so completely or so quickly.....

My doctor did tell me though that due to the massive size of my uterus, I would have bouts of extreme pressure and pain due to the uterus pushing on other organs. Maybe that had something to do with it....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register