Surgery Friday | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery Friday Surgery Friday

Unread 10-20-2001, 01:52 PM
Surgery Friday

I have CIS and am having a cone biopsy done this next friday. They need to make sure that the cancer has not spread and then they will do a hysterectomy. I am nervous about this, since I have a family to take care of. If anyone has had one and knows about how long the recovery is, it would be helpfull to know. I am very nervous. To see it get worse before my eyes, is so scary. I am sure it has gotten worse, as is the doctor. But she wants to do all steps to make sure they don't miss anything. Please, any advice or helpfull words of wisdom would be great!
Thank You- Shannon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-20-2001, 02:08 PM
Surgery Friday

Hi Shannon,
I haven't had a cone biopsy, but wanted to welcome you, and let you know that many of the ladies who post here have had this done and I am sure they will be along shortly so check back often.

I know how scary this is for you, but it certainly sounds like your doctor is being very thorough. Many of us here have dealt with the various gyn pre-cancer and cancer diagnosis' and we have all been where you are at, so please know that we are all here for you to help in any way we can!

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers for your test on Friday Shannon! Hang in there!!
Hugs,
Maria
Unread 10-21-2001, 12:41 AM
Surgery Friday

Hi Shannon, so glad that you found us in this time of stress. CIS as I understand it ( and I could be wrong ) is still in the precancerous stage . I think it is the same as CIN3.

I didnt have a cone biopsy done , I was given the choice but I chose to have a hysterectomy immediately. A cone shaped section of the cervix is removed. This usually requires a general anaesthetic. Sometimes it is performed to make sure the cells havent gone into the cervical canal and to exlude cancer. You say that they will do the hysterectomy . Is this going to be done on the same day? Cervical cancer is usually very slow growing , so please try not to worry but that is hard to do , I know

Please do remember that we are always here for you. And best of luck with it all on Friday.. Keeping you in my prayers . Take good care x x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-21-2001, 10:19 PM
Surgery Friday

Hi Shannon,

I've had two cones. They were done in the Out-Patient dept. The first was done under general anesthesia. I was there for about 4 hours....most of the time in recovery. The second was done under "twilight" (referred to by the dr as "conscious sedation"), and I was allowed to leave after a much shorter time. I'm not sure if you're asking about recovery from the Cone or the hyst, but recovery from the cone was pretty minimal. There was some cramping and bleeding, but not much more than from a period. I think I took a day or two out of work. Of course, recovery from a hyst is much longer with more restrictions. Lifting, bending, stretching seem to be the major restrictions.

Although CIS is often referred to as "cancer", most of the material I've read defines it as pre-cancer. My dr also referred to it as such. As Robyn said, it's considered a slow-growing condition. We all know how scary it is when you first get the news.
Unread 10-23-2001, 09:52 PM
Surgery Friday

{{Shannon}}

I don't have any experience with cone biopsies but wanted to welcome you to Hystersisters! You will find many ladies with lots of support, information not to mention, lots of {{Hugs}}

I wish you the best for your procedure on Friday. I hope the results will be good news! Please let us know how you are doing when you can.

{{hugs}}

Vicki
Unread 10-25-2001, 02:46 AM
Surgery Friday

Hi, Shannon!

I had a cone about 15 years ago. I think I took off 2 days from work. Then this past January I had a LEEP, and based on those results I had a TAH in February. I have heard from some sisters, though, that had their cone, then waited in the OR on the results and then had the hysterectomy immediately following. There are so many different ways of doing things. But it sounds as though your doctor is being very thorough and you seem to be comfortable with her. I hope your procedure goes well. Let us know how it turns out.

Unread 10-25-2001, 11:22 AM
Surgery Postponed

Thank you everyone for your replys and thoughts. I spoke with my doctor yesterday and she decided to postpone the surgery until next Friday (argh!!). She wants this oncologist there who is out of town this week. So all this worrying has to wait until next week. I had to go to the doctor on Monday and I was a nervous wreck, my bp was sky high, and I didn't even go near the GYN clinic. So as you can tell I am very nervous. Probably most nervous of them going in and finding more than just the CIS. She said it has not gotten worse, but it has gotten bigger. I guess decided to spread it's love. So what's next? That would be great if they could do the pathology right then and there and then do the Hysterectomy. But I am not sure which one they will do , TAH or TVH. Which one is better? Are they both as painfull as the other? Sorry this is so long, but I am full of questions, and you all are so great to answer them. I love this web site and would be so stressed without it. Thanks Sisters'!
Unread 10-26-2001, 08:01 PM
Let the doc decide...

Whether you'll get a TAH or a TVH will be your doctor's decision. For cancer-related cases they may want to take a look inside the abdominal cavity. I have read that vaginal hyst have shorther recovery.

I have had a cone, it was day surgery. I felt some cramps after the operation, and felt a little weak the next couple of days, like a flu. It was not a big deal for me.

The hyst itself was more involved, but you know what? It's not all that bad. The mind is strong and the body heals so fast. Before you know you'll feel like a million bucks, and like you need your rest, both at once!

In many ways, the before is more stressful than the after.

Best of luck.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register