should i start HRT???im so confused...please help! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

should i start HRT???im so confused...please help! should i start HRT???im so confused...please help!

Unread 07-08-2010, 12:51 PM
should i start HRT???im so confused...please help!

Hi Ladies, I went to my doctor today. i discussed with him my hot flashes, being dry "down there" and my extreme decrease in sex. he suggested that I start HRT but also told me of the risk associated with taking it. I am 43 and would like to resume my normal feelings about sex and stop fanning myself when everyone else is cold...lol Has anyone taken a HRT and if so have you had any complications, side effects? please give me the good, the bad and the ugly...i really wanna know what to expect or even if i should start or not..thanks ladies!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-08-2010, 01:51 PM
Re: should i start HRT???im so confused...please help!

Hi!

I'm glad you've had this discussion with your doctor!

I've gone back through your previous posts on the site and if I'm reading them correctly, you had your ovaries removed but still have your uterus and cervix, is that correct? (If so, it would be very helpful if you would correct your Member Survey using this link:Member Survey. )

If you've kept your uterus, you'll need to use both estrogen and progesterone for your hormone therapy. This is because estrogen taken without progesterone (or synthetic progestin) can increase the risk of uterine cancer--something that isn't a problem for those of us without a uterus, though many of us do use progesterone as a part of our hormone therapy.

I had my hysterectomy/oophorectomy at age 46 and at 54, I'm still using hormone therapy. I personally can't imagine life without using hormones. Even after menopause the ovaries produce beneficial hormones so to me it makes sense to replace at least some of what was naturally being produced. If your doctor is okay with prescribing hormones and you've done your research and weighed the pros and cons, go ahead and give them a try. They really do work for the symptoms you're having. You can always decide later to taper off or stop using them entirely--the choice is yours to make.

There's helpful information to use in this link: Hormone Jungle Articles, too.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Unread 07-08-2010, 05:54 PM

There are lots of different experiences & opinions on this site - which just goes to show how many different paths there are.

My opinion is that, if you are comfortable with it, you should consider HRT because you are still young!

I read a couple books which were helpful. The book by Manson & Bassuk has a lot of questionnaires (using info from your most recent physical) to help you decide what may be appropriate for you. The book by Cutler is thick review of scientific studies, but at least shows that risks are not as clear cut as the media (and some drs) make them out to be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-09-2010, 03:26 PM

Hi April Dawn and dancingt,
Thanks ladies for your input it was very helpful!! I will keep you posted.......April Dawn ..thanks I will edit it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register