new here & just found out i have hvp....... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

new here & just found out i have hvp....... new here & just found out i have hvp.......

Unread 10-20-2001, 09:33 PM
new here & just found out i have hvp.......

hi every one!! my good friend just had a hysterectomy....& it is scary! ( i brought her her crown in the castle ) she refered me to come here & from what i have read i am really scared! my doct recently told me i have hvp & precervical cancer....... i don't know what stage but she said it was moderate _sever cin2 high grade.....& told me the options i could go with ....& i was thinking why go through all the emotional worry& stress & wondering if the other options are going to work or to have an hysterectomy without having my ovaries out....i don't really know too much about any of this! i have had 6 pregnancies & 4 living children...i am 29 yrs old & wanted to know if getting a hysterectomy will be the best for me i do not want any more children ... and my doct was hesitant on suggesting a hysterectomy.. i just found out 2 days ago & it seems longer ! it is alot to absorb!! i need to talk to my doct again about my decision... & i have no idea what kind of questions i am supposed to ask...thank you !!!! for listening!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-21-2001, 12:28 AM

Hi Keriann, glad that you found us !! First of all , remember that CIN2 is still in the precancerous stage , it is moderate dysplasia but still a high grade abnormality. You mentioned that your Dr has suggested other procedures , what are they? This abnormality can sometimes be treated with laser, leep procedure or a cone biopsy , all are usually successful. A hysterectomy is a major operation and it is important for you to be well informed before making any final decision. Remember that you can keep your ovaries when you have abnormalities on the cervix.

Questions that you could ask are:
Is the abnormality an aggressive type? Is the HPV strain that you have a cancer related one ? (some arent). What are the chances of the abnormality recurring , if you dont have a hysterectomy ( please remember that a hysterectomy is not always the answer )
It would be a very good idea to discuss in depth with your Dr before making a decision.

Please do remember that we are all here for you. Best of luck with it all , x x x
Unread 10-21-2001, 06:58 AM

Here's the thing with cervical cancer. Because of a Greek guy whose name started with Pap (bless him), they can see that there are changes forming on the cellular level, changes that might lead to cervical cancer. It's a long continuum though to get from the first cellular changes to full blown cancer.

If it were me at 29, I would definitely go with the lesser procedures first--in consultation with my doctor and with second opinions (for peace of mind). Of course if two doctors ever said, hysterectomy is the way to go, I'd do it. As Robyn says, some of these cells act differently from others, and aggressive cells are nothing to fool around with.

But these local procedures are really effective at dealing with the local cellular changes, with monitoring. You can always have a hysterectomy later, but it's major surgery and major things can go wrong with it.

I do understand your thoughts about peace of mind, though. We all do!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-21-2001, 10:39 PM

I've had 2 bouts with CIN3. In 1989 I had a Cone Biopsy and my paps were normal for 10 years. In 1999 my pap came back abnormal. I had another Cone, but the pap done 3 months later again came back abnormal. I wasn't tested for HVP, but I assume I probably have it, since the dysplasia showed up again after 10 yrs.

I agree with considering with the lesser procedures if your dr recommends it. Often that is the end of it. I was glad to have the extra 10 yrs. Even after a hyst, we have to have regular paps to look for problems in the vaginal walls.......so we continue to stress every time we wait for those results!

Wishing you good luck.
Unread 10-22-2001, 05:43 AM

I was told cervical cancer, and I too have the hvp virus. I was 35 at the time of my hyst and the dr left my ovaries. Unfortunately they have never really kicked in for me.
Considering your age, I would think that the lesser of the two would be something to consider very seriously for you now. If you are in question, then by all means get another opinion. Speak to your doctor more in detail too. I know that there is so much to consider and it is hard, but you have to do what you feel would be best for YOU! Best of luck to you!!
Unread 10-22-2001, 05:50 AM

Hi!
And welcome to Hystersisters!
I had cin3 (cis) and a cone biospy, followed by a TVH. I am 10 years older than you, 39, but I also have 4 kids! My biggest priority is to raise them!
In my opinion, you need to ask your dr. what strain of HPV you have. Only about 7or so are highrisk for cervical cancer. If you have a low risk strain, your options are different than the highrisk. There is a certain protocal the drs. follow for each stage and HPV.
I have high risk HPV, and after careful thought and a ton of research, I chose the TVH. I still need to have paps etc.

I have read many times that cis is "cured" with a cone, or a leep!
Mine was, but because of the high risk HPV, I had the TVH also.

You are so young...once you find out your hpv strain, you can than make an informed decision. My dr. did the digene hpv test, it didn't tell her exactly what strain, only that it was in the high risk category!

Good Luck, my thoughts are with you, and if you have any questions, just ask!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register