Scheduled LAVH didnt realize how scared i was until today when scheduled it! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

didnt realize how scared i was until today when scheduled it! didnt realize how scared i was until today when scheduled it!

Unread 07-09-2010, 06:40 PM
didnt realize how scared i was until today when scheduled it!

Yesterday I was excited about the thought of my hyst and it fixing the bladder probs i have and the rectal hernia the gyn onc found yesterday and finally having the cancer for sure out etc. Then today it was scheduled, now I am scared. I was good with him fixing my hernia and bladder until I read posts from others that the other parts are Harder to recover from, now i am in tears and worried all over again. it is scheduled for july 28 in okc, guess thats better than months out, the wait would make me go insane. Anyone have any thing to say about the recovery from bladder sling, vaginal reinforcement, and fixing rectal hernia during hyst with cervix, ovary (1), uterus, and checking lymph nodes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-09-2010, 07:00 PM
Re: didnt realize how scared i was until today when scheduled it!

Sorry you are so worried. This process is frightening. I remember prior to my hysterectomy every time I felt like I was prepared and had everything under control a new bit of information would emerge. It would send me back into the fear zone. Information can be frightening but not knowing can be more dangerous. Keep reading, learning and asking questions. Seek a second or third opinion if you need to. Having as much knowledge as possible will help you know you are doing the best possible things for your individual situation.
Remember when reading posts often you are hearing from women who are experiencing issues. This site is a great source of information but it by no means is a fair representation of all women's experiences. Yes, your recovery will be impacted by the additional procedures but ask yourself how your recovery would be if you didn't take care of all the issues your body currently has.
Hang in there, preparing and waiting for surgery is really difficult. Some say it is the worst part Good luck
Unread 07-09-2010, 09:24 PM

I think your fears are completely normal. Work through them, but don't let them overtake you. Keep posting here, keep asking questions. Be strong!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-09-2010, 09:34 PM

Thank you all, my dh says i have spent more time with you ladies than him since akk this happened. i tell him it is you all keeping me sane enough to put up with his dumb #+*. he is as scared as me and not handling it near as well. he wants to help but seems to think i shouldnt be emotional til after. thanks again for being here for all of us. Its is so good not to feel alone. even my mom thinks i am over-reacting as she had hyst at 31 and went dancing four days later. hope to be that lucky.
Unread 07-10-2010, 05:34 PM

Hi tamzett

I mean no disrespect to your mother, but I suggest that she may have a poor memory of her recovery.

I was most emotional before my surgery. I also spent a lot of time on this site in order to keep my sanity. The wait was really the hardest. It is normal to be scared. I certainly was!!!

My recovery has been slow and gradual. I have increased my activity very slowly. I walked around the house and I rested and that is about it the first 3 weeks. Not too much more in week 4.

I am now 6 and a half weeks and am doing a little more each day. It is very important to listen to your body and do not overdo.

One of the most important pieces of advice I can give you is: DO NOT listen to other people who tell you that you should be healed already or you should be doing more and being more active etc. etc. You have one chance to heal so listen to your body.

Hugs,
Suzanne
Unread 07-10-2010, 06:08 PM
didnt realize how scared i was until today when scheduled it!

I kinda thought that too about hear either not remembering or just lying to bragg, shes good at that too. But can always hope it goes like that anyways!
Unread 07-10-2010, 11:06 PM

tamzett,
My mom had a c-section with me and ended up with a partial hyster due to a uterus filled with cysts the size of golf balls. She'd tell me, "I was vaccuming three days later." And all kinds of other things. My dad and her are coming down to help with the kids and I am so afriad she is going to start on her "wonderwoman" kick.

I am so sorry your mom has started on hers before your surgery and recovery has even begun. Trust your body. Know that everyone is different. Believe that you are worth the time and rest required to recover 100%.

In addition, your emotions, your stress and your anxiety are normal. They are warranted. They are real. Your worries and feelings are not trivial. Please don't hide them or not allow yourself to express them. My mom came from a time when woman didn't talk about that stuff. (I don't think it was healthy for her then or now.)

I do hope that your recovery is better than text book and that you are back to normal before you know it. I hope your body is able to heal quickly in all areas of your surgery and that you are fixed better than new. Well wishes to you.
Unread 07-10-2010, 11:11 PM

I picked up on dancing four days post op also! I just chalked it up to some great medication back in the day. She was probably still in the hospital at four days.
Our minds have a wonderful way of tweaking things to make memories more appealing. Think of child birth - no one would have siblings if our minds didn't erase most of the events of pregnancy, labor and first few months.
As they say time heals...
Hang in there, take things slow, listen to your doctor and follow your gut instincts.
Unread 07-11-2010, 08:17 AM

My sister who has had a hyster is out of the country. I haven't talked with her. But my other sisters keep telling me what a pain it was for them. She was moving from a temporary place into her home post op. She could only stand and say "I'm so sorry I can't help you move all my things, I can't lift anything." They weren't upset and realized how frustrating it was for her. I wasn't there to help her because I was too far away at the time. Her new home has a lot of stairs, everyone said she was very careful and only went up them to her bedroom 1 time the first week. My family has been great with helping me with restrictions from my surgeries this year. And have been supportive pre op about the TAH. I'm lucky they are willing to continue their support. Only 1 sister has said "I am getting so tired of this I would love to help you carry that, but I can't lift anything that heavy right now." I have been on lifting restrictions twice for two weeks each of the last two months.I know she is joking, she had restrictions after a couple of surgeries. My sisters understand even superwomen need time to mend.
Unread 07-11-2010, 10:04 AM

I fisured she was full of it too. But I also know that our messed up memories of child birth are Gods gift to women and figure this falls into the same category for women. Hopefully 22 years from now all I remember is partying all night a few days later. Her and my MIL are the reasons I want to do the bulk of recovery at our new property in the mountains with babbling creek and waterfalls. I know I have to wait until doc says good and take the 6.hours trip slow, but in order to rest and relax thats where I need to be. Thanks to everyone.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register