Scheduled dVH/RALH Da Vinci??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 07-14-2010, 08:59 PM
Da Vinci???

HI - new here and I was wondering if anyone has had the Da Vinci surgery and how did it go?
How long was recovery?
How long til you can resume normal activities?
How was the pain?

I met with a new doc today - gyn oncologist - and he was not very helpful with questions.

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-14-2010, 09:27 PM
Re: Da Vinci???

I am having one also but not for 3 months so I can't help you out with my personal experience. There is the HYST-STORIES section to this site that gives personal accounts of experiences. There are different sections and one is for robotic assisted surgery. I have found them very informative.

This site is so helpful, keep reading and you will learn a great deal.
---L
Unread 07-14-2010, 09:43 PM

Lorib -

So glad that you found our site.

I had the daVinci and the surgery itself went well.
  • Initial recovery was off work for 6 weeks, tired for a couple more after I went back to work. Didn't start to feel normal until 11 months but that was more from the surgical menopause kicking my rear and having to overcome some non-daVinci related issues. I will say that I was a slow healer but since you also mentioned a gyn-onc, my surgery was done by a gyn-onc and it just took longer for them to do the things they needed to do so that affected recovery. When I said to gyn-onc "I heard 2 to 4 weeks" He said "let's say 6 and maybe 8"
  • As noted I was back to work at 6 weeks, still had swelly belly for several months....started using the word normal at 11 months
  • The worst pain I had during initial recovery was in the hospital when my catheter airlocked. Also I had muscle trigger pain and had to undergo pelvic floor physcial therapy.

I hope this helps you with your questions and you'll get more information from others.

As a side note we have a wonderful Cancer Care forum here so if you need information or support on those topics check it out and post there.

G,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2010, 06:19 AM

Hi Lorib,
I had the davinci on June 30th 2010. It was far easier than I had anticipated, but like i'm sure you have read, everyone heals at their own rate. I had everything removed including cervix. The worst of the pain for me was the gas pain by far. They use some kind of gas when doing the davinci to inflate the abdominal are so they have a good view of all the area. I had severe gas pains, the day after surgery for about four hours. That was really the only thing I had trouble with. I like others was sore, but no real pain. I am now two weeks post op and am walking about two mile a day and feel really great. My only problem is that I am exhausted around 3 to 4 oclock in the afternoon and pretty much done for the rest of the day. I am sure that is a very normal process. I also still have some very light bleeding.

If you have any questions about anything and I can answer them I will be more than happy to try. Good luck with your surgery, I know you will do great!
Unread 07-15-2010, 08:59 AM

Hi Lorib -
I had a total (including tubes, ovaries and cervix) procedure on July 9, 2010, using the Davinci system. Several years ago I had open Gastric bypass surgery followed 1 year later by a drastic (9.7 pounds removed) tummy tuck and breast augmentation with lift procedure. I consider myself somewhat familiar with abdominal surgery. LOL I would quickly sing the praises of the Davinci system, however, I believe the skill and experience of the surgeon performing the procedure is critical.
I am currently 6 days post op, have had no bleeding or complications thus far, but I am resting (no young children) alot and following my docs orders closely. This operation has by far been the most pain free I've ever experienced, it is hard to believe: my doc removed 2 "cantaloupe sized" fibroid tumors (you read that right) and all the other "gear" using only laproscopic (Davinci) tools. Incredible to me! My personal experience has been nothing short of outstanding. Good luck, and look closely at your docs experience with this equipment.
Unread 07-15-2010, 09:24 AM

I had my daVinci hysterectomy eight weeks ago and feel great. The pain associated with this type of minimally invasive surgery is limited. It feels like you're sore but not in too much pain. I really did not need any prescription pain meds once I left the hospital. Plan to be on the couch every day and all day for about the first two weeks. I had trouble walking and could not go shopping until about the third week. Just could not make it to the store from the parking lot and through all aisles until after the third week. The doctor said swimming in the pool was ok at this time. At four weeks I started feeling more energized but still had to rest part of the day (with my feet up). At week five and six I felt much better about driving, sitting up on an upright chair for extended periods of time. I also started walking again. I started lifting again but nothing heavy. I just saw the doctor on Tuesday (at 8wks) and he cleared me for everything. Just told me to take it easy on the situps and exercise routine. I did not gain any weight but have a small swelly belly I would like to get rid off. Can't fit into all of my pants/shorts yet.... I planned to be off work for six weeks and that was a good decision.
Unread 07-30-2010, 02:19 PM

Had the daVinici hysterectomy on July 6, 2010. I'm not moving around as quickly as I'd like, but doctor says I'm healing well. Thanks for the info it really helps!
Unread 07-30-2010, 03:48 PM

Hey lorib-
Everyone's different when it comes to recovery, especially depending on what you have done. I see you're talking to an oncologist, so I hope you're not going thru anything too difficult. For me, I only had enlarged uterus/large fibroid removal, and everything went great. Had my surgery Jun 29th in the afternoon and went home early the next morning. Doc removed everything out of my right side, so my right side was really sore for the first few days. He gave me demerol and 600mg ibuprofen. Only took the demerol for the first 3 days, then the ibuprofen after that. On the 5th day, which was July 4th, I "miraculously" woke up with no more pain - ended up doing a little more than I should've that day and was pretty sore and tired the next day, so I made sure not to overdo after that. I have 4 incisions that were "super-glued" so minimal scarring. I only missed 9 days of work, and went back to work on July 12th. Had a 1 week follow-up w/ my doc, and he released me w/ instructions to wait one more week before resuming sexual activity w/ DH - and that went just fine as well!! I'm now 4 weeks and 3 days post-op, and I feel like I've never had anything done to me - it's just amazing.

Hope everything goes well for you too!! Keep us posted on how you're doing and best wishes to you!!
Di
Unread 07-31-2010, 03:14 PM

I had a DaVinci robotic hysterectomy and I am a big girl, did great. Was in the hospital just over 24 hours, mostly due to a reaction to Vicodan. Went home with prescription strength ibupropren and did just fine. I did have to rest but I walked every day. I was back to work in 3 weeks and other than some issues with hormones (insomnia, etc.) did OK. Good luck to you and remember all of us heal at our own time.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register