Estradiol-side effects: hot flashes & urinary frequency; anyone else | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Estradiol-side effects: hot flashes & urinary frequency; anyone else Estradiol-side effects: hot flashes & urinary frequency; anyone else

Unread 07-15-2010, 04:23 PM
Estradiol-side effects: hot flashes & urinary frequency; anyone else

Hello, Since I have multiple blood clotting conditions, I have been told all my life HRT would not be an option. However, the GYN who replaced the surgeon who was "ALL that" before surgery and first 2 weeks, and then he was done with me. I went to 2nd Opinion on healing of vaginal cuff. That GYN said that he was comfortable with HRT because although I have these clotting conditions, I am on anti-coagulation therapy for them and blood is monitored regularly. So I started with estrogen cream vaginally which made a remarkable difference, because intercourse had become painful. Next, about a month ago we added Androgel, 2 x a week, gel applied over my abdomen. Then a doctor filling in for my Primary Care said she had no problem with low dose estradiol (which I made sure main primary care was ok with before beginning). I take .5 mg tablets, not quite one week. The prescribing doctor said that the risks isolated in the Women's Health Initiative were for estrogen and progestin combined or progestin alone. She said I didn't need progestin because its function was to protect uterus and since I no longer have one, it wasn't needed. She suggested the estradiol because migraines have increased to an unprecedented level since Surgical Menopause and require round the clock mangement. I told her I'd read (in a book called THE MIGRAINE BRAIN) that for women who had migraine before hysterectomy, those who go through natural menopause, for 62% of them, migraines got better. However, the study showed that women going through Surgical Menopause, who had migraine before hysterctomy, of that group 2/3 of migraines got worse. Naturally these are things I find AFTER the surgery. The prescribing doc said that she didn't see why I should have to nurse a migraine almost everyday when there is no solid evidence that I cannot take estrogen, only doctors reluctant to take any kind of risk at all and their reluctance came at the expense of my symptom management. She, and my primary care, and my 2nd Opinion GYN (surgeon himself has failed me repeatedly post op), all had the guts to use what can be controversial protocol to better manage my symptoms because I am being treated for the clotting disorder and not just treated but monitored, sometimes as often as 2-3 a month.

The migraines are better, however I am having hot flashes, and, as hot flashes have been for me, these are some doozies and hot flashes, prior to beginning estradiol on July 8, had all but left completely. Also, since beginning estradiol I have urinary frequency and urgency that is new. Has anyone else experienced such side effects with estradiol tablets? Did changing to a cream help? Did working with the dosing (every other day instead of every day, since I do vaginal cream every other day and testosterone gel 2 x week)? All imput much appreciated!
Good healing to us all,
Jstor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2010, 06:00 PM
Re: Estradiol-side effects: hot flashes & urinary frequency; anyone else

Jstor I know some of the ladies who have been dealing with this for a long time will be able to shed more light on your problem....but I was under the impression that estradiol took away hot flashes, but I guess it isn't a perfect science, but for me, I started using the patch, .05 mg...It worked fine for the hot flash issue, but for me, I am not sure if it was enough to help me with the other issues I have had, I am more than likely in the middle of some bad meno symptoms at 53...10 yrs post op.....
I am in the middle of trying to figure out what works best for me too, so I know how confusing it is. We read, read, read, but it still makes no sense at times....that's why I like to read this board...something someone says always makes a lot of sense to me, and they can explain it in ways my doctor can't....hope you can get some answers
Unread 07-15-2010, 08:02 PM

Dear SureBett, thanks for taking the time to share what you are going through. And you are right, hot flashes are one of the things that Estradiol is indicated to abate. But have you ever noticed on TV ads that call out the side effects that often seem worse than the condition they are proporting to treat? And I do know that I react the opposite of the majority on a number of medications, some Rx that knock others out cold have me cleaning closets (seriously), or ones that make others sleepy cause me unbearable anxiety. So figured I was in the right place to find out if others have had what might be an unusual side effect. But I know that even at a low dose it is an influx of a hormone that my body has been withou so though there might be a chance that the roller coaster effect set off the hot flashes while my body tries to figure out what is going on, since the surgical menopause came on like a fire storm which I had been totally unprepared for by my surgeon, which one of the reasons I time to time to share those things I wished I had known before surgery. Things that I think I had a right to know before I made my decision. Not saying I wouldn't go ahead with it, I just think I had a right to the information to factor it in.
J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2010, 11:17 PM

I have had bladder issues for years (long story). Anyway, my doc started me out on oral estradiol and it caused frequency, pressure, etc... I am now on the vivelle dot patch and that does not seem to affect my bladder.
Unread 07-16-2010, 04:23 AM

Sorry that you've been going through all this.

I'm one of the lucky ones who hasn't had a migraine in the month since surgery. I had a generic estradiol patch put on the day after the operation. I'm also taking vitamins B & D, and between the 3, I haven't felt this good and steady in a long time (including no hot flashes). I had bladder repair, which partly worked wonderfully. I was warned that it might not fix the urgency problem, which has been bugging me lately. I'm going to finally follow dr's advice to try the bladder diet - though I suppose now I also need to read up on the side effects of estradiol.

I wonder if, for you, working through different dosing and delivery methods for hrt would improve things? Unfortunately, it seems to be trial & error for a lot of women. Also, did dr adjust your migraine meds? The book that most helped me to understand my triggers is Heal Your Headache by Buchholz & Reich

Hope you get to the other side of this and are feeling better soon
Unread 07-16-2010, 07:11 AM

Hello! With a clotting disorder you may want to inquire about transdermal forms of estrogen. The transdermals seem to have little or at least less impact on clotting according to some of the studies I have seen.

Sometimes we get hot flashes just from the fluctuations of hormones. Once you settle in you may find the hot flashes again abate.

I hope you begin feeling better soon!
Unread 07-16-2010, 05:56 PM

You know Js I just wanted to add today that I started with a new mg yesterday, up from .05 to .75 and I can tell that my bladder is grateful for the extra estradiol....I use vivelle patch.

I do know that when my doctor tried me on progesterone a few weeks ago, they caused some hot flashes and chills in the a.m. and anxiety. Went off of that and now just using the .75 estradiol patch and trying to get a low thyroid up, but just in the time, basically, overnight, I can tell that the stronger mg. was very helpful for what I had been experiencing lately.
I have found that between the gel and the patch, the patch works better, and doesn't seem to have the side affects the gel does....I also have some very strange reactions to medication, like you, I do the opposite of what most people do when taking sedative type meds like allergy stuff, pain med, etc....they keep me up wide awake, while some people are out....lots of meds also cause fatigue with me, so many things I just can't take....
but so far, I have tried the gel and the patch in estradiol and hands down, even though I don't like the fact that I have to get them wet and sometimes they want to move away from me, they still make me feel better than the gel does....Unless there is another form my doctor wants me to try, I guess I will try to stick to the patch as long as I can keep my energy level up...that is a big one with me when it comes to HRT right now...
Have you asked the doctor whether testosterone can cause hot flashes? I am finding that experimenting with things and giving your body time is the key to all this madness....I can see I was guilty of not doing that in the past, I am trying to do better now.....keep us posted on how things work out for you
Unread 07-19-2010, 01:58 PM

I was taking .5 Estridiol. I didn't have hot flashes during the day - BUT OMG! in my sleep was horrible!!!!! I would wake up just boiling.
I asked my dr about it and she told to take a half tablet more - I did this for about a week and I just ended up quitting it all together. NO ESTRIDIOL AT ALL.
When I asked the dr if I could quict she said she hated for me to because of the hot flashes.
I just quit anyway after that on my own. I can say I NEVER wake up in the night - sleep thru til morning now.
I just came on here today to see if there are any other side effects I might have from not taking it and read this.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register