Ovarian Cancer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ovarian Cancer Ovarian Cancer

Unread 10-22-2001, 09:41 AM
Ovarian Cancer

I just found out today that I have Ovarian Cancer. I go on Thursday to the oncologist to see about treatment. The only thing I really know about it is it is usually bad. That scares me a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-22-2001, 10:33 AM
Ovarian Cancer

I know that you are scared, and probably thinking the worse of everything that you read. We have all done that. We read something and then just take for granted that we have the worse case scenario. Try to stop being so hard on yourself!! I know, easier said than done. We are all here for you and you can count on us for support. Here is a link that have a lot of info regarding ovarian cancer, but read it for the info and try not to jump to conclusions.
http://www.ovarian.org/
Unread 10-22-2001, 12:10 PM
Ovarian Cancer

Hi Suzy,
I am so sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I replied to your post on pre-op when you said they were sending the pathology for a second opinion, and I was so hoping all would be fine.

Well, your appointment Thursday will give you alot more information and many of us here can tell you that oncologists are wonderful caring speicalists.

I can also tell you, that there are several of us here who have been exactly where you are now. For some, the surgery took care of all the cancer, for others, we did require treatment, and Suzy, we are all here and are doing really well. Please keep this in mind. Treatments have come a very long way with ovarian cancer now, and there are more and more success stories. The stats seem to be very out-dated.

As Cyd said, we are all here to support you, and you will get through this Suzy!!! Please let us know how your appointment goes, and in the meantime, feel free to post any quesitons that come to mind.!!
Hang in there hon!!! We know what you are going through.
Sending big hugs!!
Maria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-22-2001, 01:27 PM
cancer

Suzy
I'm really sorry about your diagnosis. I've been told there is a mass on my left ovary and being the pessimist (or maybe realist) that I am, I am thinking that it's cancer. I know I should have posistive thoughts about it, but it's tough. I have a very good friend who had ovarian cancer 7 yrs ago. She didn't know anything about it until she passed out on her kitchen floor. She is doing great now 7YRS LATER!! Medicine has changed. It isn't necessarily a death sentence. I hope your prognosis is as good as my old friend. Hang in there. Read everything you can find about it. Be healthy. I'll know more about my own deal after this week. Maybe we'll both have good things to post next week.
Good Luck and God Bless You!
JH
Unread 10-22-2001, 04:54 PM
My prayers are heading your way

I am doing my one year anniversary next week,and I remember very well how you feel now. It is very scary. I hope that treatment goes as well for you as it did for me!

Maggie
Unread 10-23-2001, 02:20 PM
Ovarian Cancer

I know how you feel....

I was diagnosed with ovarian CA on July 28, 2000 (I'll never forget that date!) After chemo and surgery, I have been doing very well. I know it's scary, but don't let everything and everyone scare you -- one thing someone said to me that helps me is 'let God take care of things -- He has been taking care of people for a lot longer than you and He does a better job.'

If you have any questions or need support, just let us know. We know what these feelings are like -- we're here to help.

Love,

Cyndy
Unread 10-23-2001, 03:04 PM
Ovarian Cancer

Hi there Suzy, just want to add my support here, Best of luck on Thursday xx
Unread 10-23-2001, 08:32 PM
Ovarian Cancer

{{Suzy}}

I'm so sorry to hear of your diagnosis, I hope you'll be able to find some definative answers on Thursday. I know how hard it is to get a diagnosis like this but ovarian cancer is treatable, and can be beat!

As Maria mentioned, the information you'll find is reallly outdated, there are so many more different, successful types of treatments available nowadays. The second type of chemo drug I was given wasn't even available not all that long ago.

I want to share something one of my Dr's (Hematologist/Oncologist) told me after it was found that the first round of chemo hadn't worked (my type was platinum resistant and the first round was platinum based). He said that "they now consider cancer to be a chronic illness that will eventually be beat!" I hold on to that phrase on a day to day basis!

Please know we'll all be thinking and praying for some good news for you on your appointment. Please let us know how it goes when you can.

{{hugs}}

Vicki
Unread 10-24-2001, 09:13 AM
add me to your list

I was also diagnosed with ovarian cancer in July of this year. Being only 34 and having a 3 year old I had a difficult time trying to accept the diagnosis. I have now had two surgeries to remove cancer, luckly I will not need chemo. Having a diagnosis of cancer is not a death sentence. Take control of your health care-be in charge of your body. One of the worst parts of having cancer is making the decisions and they are life and death decisions. Make them as informed as you can and don't let others tell you what to do. Knowledge is power! Good luck!
Unread 10-28-2001, 07:46 AM
How did it go?

Suzy, please keep us informed, ok?

Maggie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register