What do post menopause women do? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What do post menopause women do? What do post menopause women do?

Unread 07-18-2010, 10:41 PM
What do post menopause women do?

I am 56 years old and had a LAVH-BSO almost 4 weeks ago. Most of what I read about as far as HRT concerns women who were not already post menopausal. I was not taking anything before the surgery but have been on an anti depressant for years. I understand this helps with the hot flashes. etc. I had only mild flashes etc before the surgery. I am also overweight and understand that we store estrogen more so than our shinny sisters. At some point last week I suddenly felt very depressed, moody, anxious, weepy, tired etc. I was very concerned and called my doctor. We decided to try estratest hs in case it was hormonal reaction. In all honesty he said he did not know if it would help. I am so confuses. Do most post menopausal women take HRT? Do I just need to wait this out more? I don't know if I can stand it! Do women my age who ahve everything out feel a difference. I assume my ovaries were not doing much, but then I sure feel different now somehow -like something is missing or just not right. I don't feel myself. I feel sort of blank. I certainly don't mourn the loss at my age. Any older ladies have any of this??? Just looking for some insight. Many thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2010, 11:29 PM
Re: What do post menopause women do?

I didn't expect to feel much difference, I mean they said my ovaries were atrophied. But the old girls weren't dead yet. Oh yes I felt so tired, couldn't bounce back, couldn't think straight, had hot flashes and woke up a lot at night. I'd never taken HRT before but started on the lowest dose patch, so low it supposedly is only good for bone density. But in 3 days I felt pretty normal again. I know you should have testosterone levels before you take it since it has some serious side effects so you may want to consider estrogen alone to start and then see if you need more. HRT has helped me, not sure if its right for you but my experience has been good. Hope you feel better soon.
Unread 07-19-2010, 07:57 AM

Hi izzybeth!

I've read many times on this site that post-menopausal women experience menopause symptoms all over again after having their ovaries removed. Even after menopause the ovaries produce beneficial hormones so it makes sense that symptoms may occur after the ovaries are gone.

It's up to you whether or not to take hormones. I was 46 at the time of my TAH/BSO and over eight years later I'm still using hormone therapy. My doctor is perfectly fine with me using hormones forever if that's my wish. I keep up on all of my well woman checkups which cover mammogram, breast and pelvic exams, along with a Pap test (vaginal vault smear since I no longer have my cervix). So far all is well and I know that I feel much better using hormone therapy than not. If I ever do decide to discontinue using hormones, my plan would be to taper off them slowly to mimic a natural menopause.

When I first started on hormone therapy I was on Estratest HS. It worked well for the estrogen part but the synthetic testosterone wasn't doing anything for my missing libido. I switched to bio-identical hormone therapy after that and have been using them exclusively, in one form or another, ever since.

It's your decision to make, of course. You won't know if it's going to work for you if you don't try it. If you try it and don't like it, there are plenty of other hormone therapy prescription products to try or you can go without if that's your preference. I should mention that Estratest is no longer available. There are members on this site who are successfully using EEMT in its place.

We're here to help you find your way through all of this!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2010, 08:47 AM
Smile - What do post menopause women do? Re: What do post menopause women do?

I feel your pain. I'm almost 53, post menopause a couple of years, and had the same surgery two weeks ago. I had already gone through some post menopausal symptoms the last two years--hot flashes, moodiness, weight gain--so I thought, how bad can this be--I'll tough it out, right? Well, this is worse by far at times, hot flashes, heart racing, insomnia, etc. But I am still trying to tough it out, mom had breast cancer--so I'm skittish about hormones. Never have taken any meds for much of anything. Curious as to how you're doing?
Unread 07-19-2010, 10:58 PM

Thank you for your input ladies. I am going to try to stick with the estrotest at least a few weeks. I am feeling better today - more motivated , more myself, and not so down, so maybe it's working. The biggest issues has been headaches with it, but that also seemed better today. I've been playing with the time of day I take it.I was so hoping not to have to go through any of this since I was not taking anything before the surgery. It's certainly a learning process. I know now why it is referred to as a jungle!
Unread 07-20-2010, 06:02 AM

Good luck and post your progress for the rest of us if you get a chance. Despite everything it is comforting to know you are not alone in these experiences.
Unread 07-22-2010, 10:34 AM

I am on the patch and using was on .1 and now am on .05... They lowered it becasue I was having bad headaches, very achy joints, dry eyes, and bloating. They .05 helped some of those symptoms go away but now they are back again. Did any of you that have been on estrogen for a long time have these symptoms when you first started and then they settled down? I can handle it if I know they are finally going to settle down. I am 53...had everything taken out and did it so life would be better not worse...;-(
Unread 07-22-2010, 05:38 PM

I am 10 yrs post op, 53 yrs old....I left ovaries in, I started using a low does estrogen patch 5 yrs ago and vivelle about 4 yrs..at .05, I can tell you for me someone who most likely am at menopause central right now, it's hard to tell where you are when you have no uterus....I am all over the place with hormone related problems, fatigue being the worst thing of all, and to boot, I had my thyroid come back a little low so now I am being treated for that, and after 3 weeks, I am not sure whether it is the thyroid med or the upping of the vivelle to .75 that makes me still feel lousy.....when I try to cut the dose back to .05, I start getting a continuous hot flash feeling....very uncomfortable....this is very confusing even with ovaries, so I can imagine you ladies who are suddenly thrown into menopause at once.....
One thing I will say, there is a lot of up and down with hormone replacement, it seems when you are first starting a therapy strength, you have good days and bad....days where you wonder if you even need it, and days where you just don't know what is happening .... I was told that at least 4 to 6 weeks was a good test time to see if something is going to even out for you, but we all know that is a long time to feel miserable, and sometimes we can't pull through the time trial....I was given prometrium last month to start on that as well, to try to balance it all out, that was a huge problem, had to stop that....it is so frustrating, I can't offer any solution, but can say...hang in there, give yourself patience....I am guilty of not doing that....and don't dispair on the bad days

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register