Funny Things We Do Under Medication | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Funny Things We Do Under Medication Funny Things We Do Under Medication

Unread 07-19-2010, 06:40 AM
Funny Things We Do Under Medication

Hey sisters! I thought it would be fun to share some of our "silly" moments from our hospital stay What funny thing did you do or say while under the medication you were given at the hospital? Mine was so embarrassing! I am normally a very shy, reserved person. I was very sensitive to the pain medication I was given at the hospital so I slept all day the day and night I had surgery. When the nurses woke me up to check my vital signs, I would just look at DH and smile and say "It feels so good to sleep" then go back to sleep. My cath stayed in all night and so did the meds from the iv, so I just slept and slept and felt so good! The next morning my DR came and and told me he was taking my iv out and I would soon be up walking around. I don't know why I said this but I remember thinking about the beautiful hospital gown with the "split" in the back and I looked at my DR and giggled and said "so i will be able to run around and streak everyone in this hospital!" And then I layed there laughing (I was the only one laughing) DR didn't know what to say! Oh my! My DH was so embarrassed and when I came to myself I was too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2010, 07:18 AM
Re: Funny Things We Do Under Medication

I'm afraid I didn't say anything funny (at least I don't remember saying anything funny). I do know that when my hubby came to visit me on the first night after my op that I kept doing a Grandpa Simpson on him: he'd ask me a question and I'd just fall asleep for a minute or so, then wake up and answer him.
Unread 07-19-2010, 09:45 AM

once when a nurse came in to take my vitals I fell asleep durind , i guess i was talking then she put the oxygen reader thing on my finger and i passed out . when she went to take it off I woke up with a start ! and kinda screamed . she screamed to ! very loud and about jumoed out of her skin ! lol she asked if she had hurt me ? and I siad no I was just startled because i was asleep .. she said " you were just talking like 1 min ago ..lol I said well I guess i fall asleep quick ! ... thats the only funnything that happened with my hospital stay .. when i woke up I was very angry for some reason and pretty snippy with most evryone , Im afraid I wasnot the ideal paitent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2010, 09:57 AM

I told the night shift nurses that it would be best if they didn't turn the over head room lights on when they came in to check my vital signs, as I tend to get irrationally angry when woken up by bright lights. I said "just ask my husband" who responded "oh, yeah . . . She's practically ripped my head off when I've done that." I ended up just leaving the light on above the bed, anyway, since I really didn't sleep much and was walking as much as I could.
Unread 07-19-2010, 01:43 PM

Two days postop I was sound asleep. I woke up, looked around and thoght I was home. The bed wasn't comfortable, so I decided to go to the living room and sleep on the couch. I got to the room door and just stood there, and a nurse in the hall asked if I was OK. I told her I was dreaming and thought I was home, and went back to the bed.

I called it hospital psychosis.

Holly
Unread 07-19-2010, 01:46 PM

not sure if it's hat funny but just after they wheeled me back in my room after surgery my DH asked if I wanted a drink of water, apparently I nodded yes and opened my mouth...DH said I looked like a baby bird with my eyes closed, mouth open shaking my head back and forth trying to find he straw LOL!!

I don't remember any of this LOL!!!
Unread 07-19-2010, 02:03 PM

Funny, I remember coming out of surgery later that afternoon d/h had brought the kids to see me and They said I asked for the vomit bucket, took it in front of me and started to stir with a invisible spatchula and told them to hold on I was baking them a cake... then just fell back asleep..
Unread 07-19-2010, 02:48 PM

On the way into OR (I was awake but had some i-don't-care in me) I saw there was this awesome stereo in the OR. I think I was like "Oooo play some music! Yeah. That's awesome." I don't know if they ever did play music. Then looking at the table I was supposed to scoot onto, I was just like "Whaaaaaa?" I remember my hand getting cold and the DR said something right as it started. I giggled and told him and he said "Oh okay. We'll turn it down then."

I remember the nurse wheeling me to my room on the bed after surgery. The only thing I could eek out was a very soft, very low "Be gentle." She promised me she would be and I said "Oh I know. I just had to say."

The night shift nurse came around that evening (I say evening, it was probably 10pm) and she was a sweet lady, 20s and had a cherry blossom tree tattooed on her wrist. I told her it was so pretty. When she left, I looked at DH and said "She had really pretty hair too, but I didn't want to freak her out, being so stoned right now." He just laughed.

When I had my right ovary out 3 years ago, I remember waking up in the recovery room and seeing the clock, knowing I should know what it meant, but having no clue what it was trying to tell me. My dad's gf was heading to the store and asked me if there was anything I needed. I said "Yes. A blender." "Huh?" "A black and decker blender." I have *NO* idea why I said that, but I did and by gosh she was sweet enough to get me one! Ha!

It was all really funny at the time. Oh and I remember asking my nurse if people with nice dispositions were usually nice when they are coming out of being put under. She looked confused, but then it dawned on her that I was worried about being mean waking up. She just patted my arm and said "You'll do fine." And I did.
Unread 07-19-2010, 03:36 PM

Well there was a very tiny black bear that was crawling around in my flower arrangement...my mother couldn't see it, and at the time i remember getting VERY ANGRY with her because she could not see it..OMG it was RIGHT THERE crawling around in the flowers!! How can you not see it!!!! lol

I had a balloon arrangement and i though it was a football player and i didn't want him in my room~he just stood there for hours and hours! lol

Apparently i lifted up my hospital gown and rubbed my belly, telling my friend i was going to have a alien baby...then my stomach growled and i had a surprised look on my face and said "it's a boy"..(i do not remember this one)

My husband said i would use that foam stuff after i went to the bathroom and then go wash my hands. (again, do not remember this)

there's more...i could go on forever. Was on morphine for 3 days~
Unread 07-19-2010, 03:44 PM

I spent one drug hazed night in the castle and I had a wonderful night nurse and apparently I just had to keep on telling her how wonderful she was and how grateful I was for her excellent care. I repeated this over and over every single time she came into the room! My thought is that she probably gets this alot when she is injecting pain meds into iv's! LOL

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register