Pre-Cancer: Mixed Emotions with Pathology results | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Mixed Emotions with Pathology results Mixed Emotions with Pathology results

Unread 07-20-2010, 04:30 PM
Mixed Emotions with Pathology results

Hi everyone,

I had a TLH (kept ovaries) on July 8th for recurrent cervical dysplasia after numerous failed Leeps and a cold-knife conization. I just received my path results - no invasive malignancies. I am extremely thrilled with these results, however, now there is a part of me that's wondering if I made a mistake. I'm having mixed emotions about having my uterus taken out if nothing was wrong. But I'm assuming if I didn't have it taken out, the dysplasia would have eventually spread to the uterus? I don't know why I'm feeling this way now!! It's so frustrating!! Can anyone relate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-20-2010, 06:31 PM
Re: Mixed Emotions with Pathology results

LucyLily -

I am so sorry you are feeling these emotions.

My D&C found a cancerous tumor so that led to a hysterectomy. Afterward my path report came back as hyperplasia no other cancer. As my Gyn-onc delivered that news he looked at me and said "You are thinking you didn't need to have this done, let me reassure you it was the right thing to do"

It doesn't ease the thoughts but you aren't alone.

G
Unread 07-20-2010, 09:59 PM

Lucylily

I am sorry you are going through all this, I had the cx dysplasia dx about 5 years ago... went through all the testing..colposcopy(sp?), cone biopsy and LEEP.... didn't have a hysto at that time because I was so young and was getting married again... huge inconvienence...

Anyway now I am having other problems and have been for about 4 years, I had a vag sono done and am now awaiting endo biopsy next week.

After all the hell I have been through I don't care what the results are, I am having a hysto. It has been a rough four years not to mention the first full year of tx for the dysplasia and fear and pain that accompanied all of that... I wish I had done it sooner.

It is normal to feel sad, angry and even grieve... especially if you think you didn't need a hysto. But yes, cx cancer CAN and does spread and can take your life... and it can spread downward and you could have lost another part of you.

You did the right thing... I hope over time you find peace in your decision!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-21-2010, 04:33 AM

Even though I am approaching 70 I still mourned the loss of uterus . Guess we women relate it to child bearing .?? Wish I had hysterectomy before cancer appeared . Started hyperplasia in 2006, Tah/bso in 2009.KIELE
Unread 07-21-2010, 06:15 AM

Hi - Cervical cancer does not spread to the uterus.

My gyn/onc wanted to take out my uterus because of my age at the time of the surgery (52) and my appendix "as long as I am in there," he said. I was scared and thought all my female parts were threatened by the cc, so I agreed to the total hysterectomy. (I didn't agree to have my appendix taken out, though.) I wish now I had kept my ovaries and uterus simply because taking them out was unnecessary.

You might want to ask your doctor why s/he took out your uterus; maybe there's a good explanation that would make you feel more at ease with this decision.
Unread 07-21-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Mann View Post
Hi - Cervical cancer does not spread to the uterus.

My gyn/onc wanted to take out my uterus because of my age at the time of the surgery (52) and my appendix "as long as I am in there," he said. I was scared and thought all my female parts were threatened by the cc, so I agreed to the total hysterectomy. (I didn't agree to have my appendix taken out, though.) I wish now I had kept my ovaries and uterus simply because taking them out was unnecessary.

You might want to ask your doctor why s/he took out your uterus; maybe there's a good explanation that would make you feel more at ease with this decision.
Actually, after doing some research, it can spread to the uterus. I feel better in my decision now that I know this. I'm unable to post the link, but go to mayoclinic.com and do a search for cervical cancer. This is quoted from the website:

■Stage 0. Also called carcinoma in situ or noninvasive cancer, this early cancer is small and confined to the surface of the cervix.
■Stage I. Cancer is confined to the cervix.
■Stage II. Cancer at this stage includes the cervix and uterus, but hasn't spread to the pelvic wall or the lower portion of the vagina.
■Stage III. Cancer at this stage has moved beyond the cervix and uterus to the pelvic wall or the lower portion of the vagina.
■Stage IV. At this stage, cancer has spread to nearby organs, such as the bladder or rectum, or it has spread to other areas of the body, such as the lungs, liver or bones.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register