Saw my Doc today and trying to wrap my brain around this.... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Saw my Doc today and trying to wrap my brain around this.... Saw my Doc today and trying to wrap my brain around this....

Unread 07-20-2010, 07:49 PM
Saw my Doc today and trying to wrap my brain around this....

I had an internal and external ultrasound last week and met with my Doc today which showed a normal uterus and internal ovarian cysts which she said come and go hormonally and its nothing to be concerned with. She said a name, but I can't recall is at the moment.

Last year I had uterine polyps removed, separation of adhesion and a DNC which brought my menstrual cycle from 14 days down to 10 which I was dealing with as I was on schedule every 22-25 days

Most recently I am back up to 14 days menstruating with severe cramping which comes on every two weeks give or take a few days which is miserable!!!

We discussed the LSH and she wanted me to seriously think about it and get back to her if I would like to schedule it.

I've tried BC pills which I cannot take, IUD is not an option as well as Ablation due to the severe cramps.

I guess I was expecting her to to find something more concrete where she would say "Sunny, we need to proceed with the LSH because of x y z"

Medicine is not a science and I wonder if I am just one of those people with irregular periods as this is my "normal"? I have no medical diagnosis such as fibroids or endo, but I do have abdominal adhesions which she said is possibly causing my pain and ovarian cysts which can come and go with hormones.

I am very confident with my Doc as she is one of the top 2 gynos in my area. I had come to her for a second opinion years ago after another Doc wanted to proceed with a surgical procedure which she felt was unnecessary and instead closely monitored me with paps every 6 months instead of jumping into surgery and have been with her since.

I know the end result of what I want and that is to be pain and period free, but then why is this such a difficult decision.??? I am blessed with a supportive husband and family and have time to heal so scheduling and emotional support is not an issue.

Are there any other Sisters out there that can relate??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-20-2010, 08:07 PM
Re: Saw my Doc today and trying to wrap my brain around this....

When I was faced with the decision to have TVH, I didn't think I was ready for all this either. I chatted with a good friend of mine and she put it in perspective for me. It's quality of life. Even if this is your normal, how is your life? Do your plans revolve around your menstrual cycle? (Mine did.) Are you down in the dumps, moody, in pain, crampy, etc. every time you cycle? Would it help you to focus on your quality of life without surgery vs. your quality of life with surgery?

Good luck. I hope this helps.
Unread 07-20-2010, 08:08 PM

I can relate. If I had cancer or other life threatening condition, the decision would be a no brainer.

For years I had hoped my dr. would tell me I *needed* a hyst. because of heavy/frequent bleeding, cysts, cramps, etc. It was finally suggested to me, but I tried ablation first which didn't fix the problem. At that point, my dr. pretty much told me to say the word and he would do the hyst.

The big day is tomorrow and although my procedure is technically elective I am looking forward to being done with this mess for good!

Diana in OR
TVH 07/21/2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-20-2010, 08:16 PM

Diana!

Thank you for sharing your story, its very comforting and reassuring.

Best of luck tomorrow for a safe and quick recovery!

Sunny
Unread 07-20-2010, 09:45 PM

How do you know you have adhesions? My Dr. says i prabably have them but can only diagnose through laparscope.
Unread 07-20-2010, 09:54 PM

Diana, your situation sounds alot like mine.
I am 4 weeks post-op tomorrow from TVH and it has been much easier than I ever imagined. I went back to work PT yesterday and had a backache yesterday afternoon (desk job) but moved around more today and feel great. I hope your procedure is smooth sailing and a month from now you, too, will be posting comments like mine. Best wishes.
Unread 07-21-2010, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2CA View Post
How do you know you have adhesions? My Dr. says i prabably have them but can only diagnose through laparscope.
Last March I had laparscopic surgery where my adhesions were discovered. My Dr. removed uterine polyps vaginally and at the same surgery went in for exploratory surgery when an ultra sound came back with a distended fallopian tube with fluid inside.

I am one of the 10.4% of women with adhesions that were not caused by a prior surgery - ugh

You guys have been great!!! Thanks for the responses
Unread 07-22-2010, 01:44 AM

I've been dealing with heavy painful plan your life around periods for years. I have 2 children. I'm divorced but now with an incredible wonderful man. I have endo. We've tried bc then hormones then more bc. We were gonna do lupron injections next, until this last period started 6/24 and still goin! Worst I've ever experienced! I just can't take it anymore! I'm not sure my children, bf, or coworkers could much longer either! I've been off work since 7/9 b/c pain and bleeding. I guess i' ve waited so long b/c that's my womb, kinda makes u a woman. But then I realized my womb was making me a monster that couldn't walk, sit, or talk properly! Constant pain, sharp contractions, back pain, and pressure. The pain made it hard to smile and be nice! So I'm glad it'll all be over soon! I can smile again and not worry about my grandma (what I call period) interrupting our lives anymore! Hope this helps!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register