How do they even attempt "getting the hormone dosages right" | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How do they even attempt "getting the hormone dosages right" How do they even attempt "getting the hormone dosages right"

Unread 07-20-2010, 09:43 PM
How do they even attempt "getting the hormone dosages right"

Hi, this may sound like a stupid question but I am confused and overwhelmed beyond belief. Life was already overwhelming enough and now adding this into the mix makes me feel like I am teetering on the edge. This site has helped me greatly these past couple of days. How do they even begin to figure out what type of hormone and dosage an individual should take. I am due for a TLH, I am trying to keep an ovary, but I just have a feeling they might both come out because the pain seems to be on both sides. I also have endo and a fibroid. My surgeon told me I probably never had a "good" uterus to begin with, lets take it out is causing more harm than good to me now. He says it will improve the quality of my life. But I can't help but doubt that because of hormonal issues. NOT that my life isn't pretty much ruined by terrible hormonal issues now that go along with my disease ... right? So, is it just a crap shoot with these doctors? How do they begin to know what might work for one and not another, do they care or not care and just prescribe a favorite to all their patients and hope it works for them. I'm overwhelmed here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-20-2010, 10:18 PM
Re: How do they even attempt "getting the hormone dosages right"

Well, I think they go on their past experiences and have favorite types based on what has worked before. It varies as to what does work. I'm sure some Drs are better at it and care more, that's always the case. It can take a while but sometimes they are just on the mark. I've done fine so far on my HRT, and maybe you will, too, if you need it. If not, I think Drs look at symptoms and use judgement as to dose changes. It appears more art than science, to me, but prescribing many meds works like that. I hope both your surgery and recovery go well.
Unread 07-21-2010, 04:49 PM

It can be a matter of trial and error, and you never know, you could get it right on the first try. I didn't even think to ask my doctor about hormone replacement. I was surprised when I was in my room, a nurse came in with a patch and put it on my hip.

This is a good time to discuss hormones with your doctor. You can begin my reading the articles at www.hormonejungle.com The articles are all printable so you can print the ones that interest you the most and take them in to discuss with your doctor.

Best wishes on your upcoming surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-22-2010, 05:58 PM

Well I will tell you, I am 10 yrs post op, kept my ovaries, 53...and yes I do feel like it is trial and error in the beginning....and lots of patience on both the part of the doctor and most of all patient...you have to have patience with yourself if something isn't making you feel better....because we are told that our bodies will adjust after a certain amount of time, but like you said, life is hard enough without taking months of having horrible symptoms to make something fit....that just doesn't jibe with what I read in Elizabeth Vliet's book....she said hormones are like a key fitting a lock....so in my mind, if something has to fit, it should fit the first time....but apparently, that is not what I have experienced....I am in the middle of the worst hormonal situation right now, I started taking the vivelle dot patch 4 years go and had another generic type a year before that...so you would think after 5 years I would have it right...not so...throw in the thyroid gland that they say needs to be upped...so now I have to test that med on top of it....I know my body so far does not react to gel.....the patch does better for me, but so far, my doctor has not given me anything compounded except for the armour thyroid med....I am at a point where I am not sure I am going to get to a level of fitness that I would like with any of it...I am apparently one of those that will take some work.....I think it is wise of you to learn about the HRT factor before surgery.....but for my opinion, yes, I think it is trial and error....but if you think about it, most medications are like that....allergy, high blood pressure, cholesterol... when I first got the patch, I just put it on and thought I had it figured out, not so....apparently the older you get, the worse some of these symptoms can get....for me thats been the case, but I have heard other women say they no longer have hot flashes, they worked through it.....I was told with the 05 mg I was not getting enough for good bone health.....Hope you figure it out, and good luck with surgery

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register