advice: glue ring wearing the Patch | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

advice: glue ring wearing the Patch advice: glue ring wearing the Patch

Unread 07-23-2010, 03:42 AM
advice: glue ring wearing the Patch

My doc put me on the patch. I wanted to hear from others wearing the patch and ask where you wear it? And....how to you stop from getting that gross dirty looking glue ring? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2010, 06:48 AM
Re: advice: glue ring wearing the Patch

Me too, how do you get rid of that glue ring? I tried rubbing alcohol but that didn't work.
Unread 07-23-2010, 07:46 AM

Hi!

The adhesive from the estrogen patches can pick up fibers from your clothing so you might want to try wearing microfiber panties to minimize the chance of having that ring.

To remove the adhesive you can try a variety of things such as soap and water, rubbing alcohol or Goo Gone. If you use Goo Gone, be sure to wash off any residue of that product after the adhesive is gone.

I've been using the Vivelle Dot for years and I wear it on my rear, around where my jeans pockets hit. Absorption back there is about 20% higher than on the abdomen so it's important that patch changes are made from one side to the other whether it's worn on the abdomen or on the rear. Moving the patch from front to back/back to front can result in fluctuating levels which in turn causes menopause symptoms, which of course we're trying to avoid.

I hope this helps!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2010, 09:02 AM

There have been several recent posts about the "dirt" that the patch leaves behind. On the day that I switch it, I take it off before my shower and scrub it some before putting a new one on after my shower. I also put it on my lower back to get a higher absorption. I also leave the old patch to get a little bit higher dose; I always wear an old one and a new one. I mark the old one with a permanent marker so I can remember which one to remove. (I put an "O" on it!). I remember where to put it because I have some moles on my rear end around which I put the patch. Oh, yes, the fun we can have with Vivelle!!!!!! ha, ha!
Unread 07-24-2010, 10:49 AM

I use a product called "Detachol" to remove the adhesive. It is not an Rx item but I've found that my local pharmacies do not carry it but can order it. The bottle cost me about $20 and lasts me about 2 years, using it twice per week. It's sort of like Goo Gone but it is for skin, approved for pediatric use even - which is one of the reasons I wanted to try it since I have very sensitive skin. Works great but does leave a slight oily residue behind. I find that if I use it and then shower, just the regular soap will take off the residue. I wouldn't put my new patch in that same spot but after 3 more showers, it's time to change my patch again and that spot is ready to go! Works great, takes off all the gunk and nothing toxic!
Unread 07-24-2010, 06:42 PM

Baby oil helps too. I wear mine on my behind too. Don't put it where the edge of your panties will rub it, because that will sometimes make the edges come loose.
Unread 08-03-2010, 09:09 PM

I remove it with 91% rubbing alcohol and a cotton pad. Comes right off with no problems.
Unread 08-03-2010, 11:38 PM

I just rub at it in the shower, and it comes off after a day or two.

I just switched my patch from rear back to front - to see if it got any less sweaty itchy.
Unread 08-04-2010, 10:35 PM

I wish I could figure out a way to not get the gross, dirty ring in the first place. Ugh. But, to get rid of it, after the fact, as per a suggestion here, I've been using Triad Adhesive Tape Remover Pads, and they've been working like a dream. No more red, irritated, broken skin -- hooray!
Unread 08-05-2010, 12:06 AM

What patch is this?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register