I've developed horizontal "lumping" right underneath the incision -- Is this normal? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I've developed horizontal "lumping" right underneath the incision -- Is this normal? I've developed horizontal "lumping" right underneath the incision -- Is this normal?

Unread 07-24-2010, 10:13 PM
I've developed horizontal "lumping" right underneath the incision -- Is this normal?

Hello all! This is my first post since I've joined with HS. I am 1 week post-op, and so far so good. I am sore in my abdomen, get tired quite easily, and am learning how to move properly to avoid pain or stress to my incision. One thing: I just noticed today that right under (the skin) parallel to the length of my incision (about 4 -5 inches), is what feels like a hardening thick strip of tissue. It is not painful, and my incision looks like it healing nicely, but it is about 1/2 thick, and it concerns me. I feel like 24 hours ago, it was barely there, and now it seems more pronounced.....I plan on calling the doctor on Monday, but does anyone know if this scar tissue forming on the interior side of the incision? Any information would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2010, 11:31 PM
Re: I've developed horizontal "lumping" right underneath the incision -- Is this norm

i have that on the top of mine and not the underneath...i have no idea what it is .... other than healing tissue i guess....mine is still a bit tender
Unread 07-25-2010, 06:50 AM
Re: I've developed horizontal "lumping" right underneath the incision -- Is this norm

I have that too. I figure it's just scar tissue forming, but I would be curious to know what your doctor says. Let us know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-25-2010, 07:47 AM

I had that. Mine was red so I called my dr. She had me come in and determined it was a seroma. This is when the incision is not healing on the inside as quickly as the outside. There was fluid coming through and pooling up under the skin. Sometimes it will just re-absorb and not be an issue, but sometimes will need wound care to get it heal correctly. Definitely contact your dr and ask to be seen.
Wound care should be handled by wound experts, which your dr is likely not. I am going to a wound care clinic at my hospital. I did not even know such clinics existed or were necessary!
Unread 07-25-2010, 08:01 AM

If it feels like a rope has been placed under your incision, that is normal. I have that and my dh had the same thing with his vertical incision after he had his gallbladder out. I would be concerned if it is in just one area and hurts. Mine is all the way across and really doesn't hurt, just feels weird to touch.
Unread 07-25-2010, 08:28 AM

Thanks ladies for the quick replies! There is nothing excreting from my incision, it is nice an dry. It is not painful or tender, but rather feels to the fingertips like hardening of the tissue. Just to be sure, I am calling my doctor tomorrow, and I'll let you know what he says.

Patty :-)
Unread 07-25-2010, 10:22 AM

Oh yes, the infamous scar tissue. I have the same exact thing as you int he same area. Saw my Dr. and told me it was tissue healing, and that it was normal. He told me to massage it and use a heating pad. I guess it is suppose to help soften it and soothe the tenderness if you feel any discomfort. I still have it to,but it doesn't bother me, but can be annoying every now and then.
Unread 07-25-2010, 11:43 AM

I had this also on top of my incision, but mine was almost 2 1/2 inches high ( up by belly) when it started. I was told it was swelling above the area where the tissues were separated & cut during the surgery. It gets swollen & sore from all of the pulling also.
I think its called a "surgical ridge(?)".
That swelling finally did go away, but not the swelly belly!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register