Scheduled LAVH Pain Medication | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain Medication Pain Medication

Unread 07-25-2010, 09:44 AM
Pain Medication

Hey sisters!
Two weeks ago I had to go to the ER because the pelvic pain was so bad. It is affecting the nerves in my hip,(we think a cyst or fibroid) My surgery is scheduled for July 28th. Since those two weeks my doctor has put me on Loratabs 10/325 taken as needed daily. I've had to take at least 2 a day and sometimes 1 before bed to sleep. Before my surgery do I need to let them know that because my pain meds are a pretty high dose that the average pain dose they give after surgery may need to be different? And what do they normally give after surgery? I know how bad the pain was after my gallbladder was removed and I was so afraid of overdosing that I would never take enough! Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-25-2010, 01:30 PM
Re: Pain Medication

I was on a pain pump for the first full day and night after my surgery, it managed my pain well. The pumps are designed to not allow you to over dose, you can hit the button all you want but it wont let you overdose yourself. Trust me I used that thing!

, after that, i was on hydrocodone and tordidal (?)...it really did a good job of keeping things calmed down. The doc used the hydro cause that is what i was taking for my endo pain and it was working well.

Your doc should know what you need and write orders accordingly, and if your pain is not being managed well, let your nurses know and have them ask the doctor to change things up!
Unread 07-25-2010, 01:45 PM

I am on the same plus ms contin, and my doc promised that they would make sure that since I was on them befiore they would increase or change accordingly so tell them, they will take care of you. also 2 a day is not over doing it, I take 3 or 4 everyday for chronic pain, really hoping to find out this stuff was my pain and I can quit taking completely. Mine is also this wed, starting to get really anxious. Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-25-2010, 02:34 PM

Hey there (((sister))) this is a great question.

You will probably have some sort of PCA device immediately after surgery. With me, they used morphine in the pump, and I had fentanyl after my hematoma surgery (because I itch pretty badly from morphine). These meds are quite a bit stronger than the Lortab you're taking right now, so not to worry.

Once they transition you to oral meds, they will take into account what you've been taking pre-op and adjust dosages accordingly if necessary.

One piece of good news here is that, if the fibroid or cyst is now sitting on the nerve and causing extra pain, that pain should be relieved with the surgery, making the need for post-op pain control less than it was before your surgery! You'll have healing pain, of course, but if the healing pain is less than the pain you had before, you won't need as much pain medication as you were taking before. Once you stop having pain, you won't need the meds any longer.

The main thing to remember is to communicate with your medical team. Here's hoping all goes well and that your pain is managed well.
Unread 07-25-2010, 02:54 PM

i was also itchy with pain meds, and they gave me bendryl every time i took the oral meds, it helped so much....
Unread 07-25-2010, 03:29 PM

Back when I had my right ovary out, it was due to a large tumor on it that twisted the ovary on its stalk. They gave me all sorts of pain pills to help ease it, but when I finally saw the doc and that pain hit me (while I was on a morphine drip) he freaked and rushed surgery.

I tell you this: No pain was like that stupid tumor. Once that was gone, I felt like I could dance a gig!

Like MJD said, it could be on a nerve which is increasing the pain. But I promise, out of the docs and nurses I've dealt with, they truly don't want you in pain and will do their best to help you. The less pain after surgery, the better you will feel. You will still hurt, but hopefully not like you are now.

I wish you luck!
Unread 07-25-2010, 06:02 PM

Thanks my sisters for all the info. Ya'll just rock! Tamzett, please keep me posted on your recovery. I am hoping this hip pain goes away after the surgery! It's amazing to read all the sisters stories and how much better they all feel after it's over and done. I can't wait to post my recovery story, and let everyone know what a blessing each of you have been.
Unread 07-25-2010, 07:15 PM

I promise I will, we (my dh and I) Are praying for me and all of you going threw this with me. Good luck and see you on the other side! Hopefully in a lot less pain.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register