Is this normal? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is this normal? Is this normal?

Unread 07-26-2010, 11:27 AM
Is this normal?

Hi All. I'm a little concerned about a hormone therapy issue, and wanted to know what you all thought.

I had a TVH, kept right ovary, in April of this year. I didn't really want to do hormone replacement if I didn't have to. I don't have any medical contradictions that would put me at special risk if I did HRT, just didn't really want to. My gyno wanted me to take the summer to let me hormones even out, and see if righty was going to take up the slack or throw in the towel. Apparently she has decided to give up. The last 6 weeks or so the hot flashes have become nasty, the night sweats even worse. Not sleeping, no energy, and have gained 6-8 pounds since surgery despite working out at the gym 4-6 times a week doing cardio and weights.

I have researched HRT options, and found that for my situation (no uterus, don't want to take pills because they seem to up the risk of problems) the estriadol patches like Climara or Vivelle might be my best option.

Here's what's kind of creeping me out. I called my gyno's office today for an appointment to get the ball rolling. They told me I didn't need to come in, they would call in the Climara patch without even seeing me! No bloodwork to check my hormone levels, nothing! Is that weird to anyone else? Or is this just such a normally used patch that it is their go-to for everyone? On the one hand, it is what I determined from my research to be what they would probably put me on anyway. But it still bothers me that they don't even need to see me to prescribe hormones that could negatively affect my body.

Thoughts? Thanks bunches!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2010, 11:52 AM
Re: Is this normal?

I don't think they normally check hormone levels because they don't necessarily correlate with how you feel--my understanding anyway. Since you had been seen relatively recently and there was already a tentative plan in mind, I'm thinking that is why no new visit. You already had screening done. I discussed it at a couple visits and got it taken care of then so I don't know how far out I could have waited to call them if I hadn't decided. Seems like you should have a follow up visit at some point but mine are every 4 mos for other reasons so I don't know what the norm is.
Unread 07-26-2010, 07:23 PM
Re: Is this normal?

Thanks for the reply. I have heard that blood tests for hormone levels are pretty inconclusive, as "normal" is a pretty large range. I guess I was expecting a sit down with my doc for some more discussion, but given my age (49) and what we had already discussed I guess this is ok. Didn't hear anything today, as he was in surgery all day. Should hear from his office tomorrow. Thanks again for the help!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register