Scar Tissue? Adhesions? Or Hernia? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scar Tissue? Adhesions? Or Hernia? Scar Tissue? Adhesions? Or Hernia?

Unread 10-23-2001, 01:14 PM
Scar Tissue? Adhesions? Or Hernia?

I am 2 weeks, 2 days, post op from a LAVH/BSO and have a question. Before surgery I had pressure in the top of my right leg. It was uncomfortable to sit up very straight for any length of time. Usually found myself slouching and throwing the right leg out to the side to sit more comfortabley. I had 3 C-sections, the last one 16 years ago. I mentioned this to my DR before surgery and she said she would look at it while she was in there. Like I said, I had it LAVH and my DR said that she did encounter a lot of old scar tissue that she had to remove from my pervious C-sections. But she was able to do the surgery laproscopic. She said one "band of scar tissue" went down towards my right leg and she thought that could have caused my discomfort. Problem is I still feel the "pressure from right under my hip through the groin area. It might be my imagination, but I think there is a little more pouch on that side than the left side. Questions. Does anyone know if this could still be the effect from removing the scar tissue? Is scar tissue the same thing as the "adhesions" I've read about on other boards? Would she, or should my DR have seen if there was a hernia there when she did surgery? I don't go back to DR until 4 weeks after surgery. (Guess they don't hear as many complaints that way) So I still have almost 2 weeks to wait. Appreciate any experiences anyone had with something like this.
Nancy
Surgery Date: Oct 8
LAVH/BSO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-24-2001, 12:37 AM

Hi, Nancy! I had a fibroid growing on the broad ligament next to my hip joint, so I had groin/hip pain and numbness down that leg before surgery. After surgery, there was swelling in that area from removing the fibroid, so I still had pressure there and still some numbness in my leg. As the weeks went on, that went away and only came back if I was using that leg a lot (being too active!) So I think you have to give the swelling time to go down, and then see if your pain and pressure is relieved. Your dr. would have seen if there was a hernia while she was in there. (I asked my dr. to check for hernias, too, because I didn't know what was causing the problem--the fibroid was flat and couldn't be felt on pelvic exam.) Adhesions are pretty much the same as scar tissue, and I don't think anyone is sure why some people heal with more adhesions than others. There is a thread on the pre op section, where over 40 messages talk about hip and leg pain associated with hyst. that you might want to check out. Take it easy and rest like a good princess! Best wishes.
Ruthie
Unread 10-24-2001, 07:17 AM

I would give it some more time. I have had 4 hernia operations on my right side and also had some scar tissue removed. Then had adhesions removed also on that side. I am almost 3 months post and still have a little swelling on the right side. It never totally went away after the last couple hernia surgeries. It is only really noticable to me though. Your doctor might have been able to see a hernia, and also could have missed it if it is one. The sure way that I knew is that I would have a egg size shape swell on that side and I could push it back in and it would stay gone for a little while. I would wait until your check up and ask your dr. about it, but it could very well be from the surgery still. Take care.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register