Forgetfulness and Bad Concentration (2010) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Forgetfulness and Bad Concentration (2010) Forgetfulness and Bad Concentration (2010)

Unread 07-28-2010, 04:41 AM
Forgetfulness and Bad Concentration (2010)

What's going on with me? It's been over twelve months since my Hysterectomy (kept ovaries) and lately I have been noticed that I have been very forgetful and my concentration has been fairly poor. Does this have anything to do with hormones? I have found that I have been making silly mistakes at work and this in turn makes me feel stupid. I also find that I can not motivated to loose weight as I have put a few pounds on. Does anyone have any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2010, 10:23 AM
Re: Forgetfulness and Bad Concentration

Don't feel alone! That happens to me when estrogen or thyroid hormones become deficient. It's the craziest thing to be talking to someone and to suddenly not be able to know what word needs to come out of your mouth next! I'd suggest checking levels. I had one ovary left after my surgery and it became non functional after about 2.5 years.
Unread 07-31-2010, 06:54 AM

I am getting more forgetful too! After my TAH in 2006, I started having what we called here "swiss cheese brain". I'd joke that apparently my brain was located in my now absent uterus. I'm guessing it was/is more a result of the general anesthesia. Since my BSO last month, I've noticed my short term memory problems worsening. Yesterday my supervisor, a 24 year old, even got irritated with me when I asked her a question. She said I'd asked her 5 times already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-31-2010, 10:01 AM

The forgetfulness and total lack of ability to concentrate were the worst for me. I expected the flashes, insomnia, etc....but I had no idea that lack of estrogen would impact my brain. I thought I had something awful like a brain tumor. I literally could not remember a conversation from 5 minutes prior. I would have a meeting with my boss, leave his office and have to go right back to ask him what he had said. Horrifying. The only thing that saved me (at work) was that he was going through his own memory crisis due to something else (obviously)....we must have both wondered what was wrong with the other! Or maybe neither one of us remembered that the other couldn't remember. In any case, it made me feel stupid, too, and scared. When I got on the right level of the Vivelle patch, wow, I felt like my old self at least mentally. It was shocking to me how out of control the lack of concentration made me feel. I wish Drs would tell you of these not-often-divulged symptoms of sudden menopause. I also had foot and head buzzing that I didn't connect to low estrogen until I started the patch and noticed that it went away!
Unread 08-03-2010, 09:24 AM

Red 1964, what dose of Vivelle did you end up on? the lack of concentration is starting to scare me. I blank out in the middle of a conversation. it's embarrassing, I don't want to talk to anyone! I have raging insomnia that didn't start until I started the patch, but I can't figure out if that means the dose it too low or too high. I'm back to work at a new job next week and need to sleep!
Unread 08-03-2010, 03:50 PM

My Dr started me on the .05 dosage....and checked my hormone levels 6 months later. My E2 had risen from 16 to 59. He said that since I was young (43), I really would benefit from a higher E2 level...so he changed my Rx to the .1 dosage. I had too much breast tenderness and too much fluid retention in my legs for my comfort so we agreed to .075. I don't know what my E2 was on the .1 as I didn't stay on it for long but the .075 brought me up to 74 in terms of my E2 and he said he was good with that....and so far, I feel decent on it. I have noticed recently I have "warm spells"....not flashes but just warm in general (and I am normally always cold). My concentration is MUCH better...almost back to normal unless I am fatigued. I see him again in Nov so I will ask him....he may want to check my E2 again. I suppose it could be just be me getting to a more "normal" meno age? I hope that it gets better for you...I know how awful it is!!

And by the way...I had the blanking out in the middle of a conversation, too....had NO idea what I had intended to say...thought I had a brain tumor. Awful.
Unread 10-29-2010, 08:13 AM

I am so glad I found this thread. Seems like every week I am making more and more mistakes at work even with checking and double checking. I even have trouble doing financial things on a calculator. I was so scared wondering what is wrong with me. I did some internet surfing and found it could be related to hormones. I kept only one ovary after my hysterectomy Jan of this year. Today I went for blood work and I am hoping it is just a matter of tweaking my hormone levels.
Unread 11-09-2010, 07:18 PM

Yes, these are effects of low estrogen levels. The brain needs estrogen to function properly (and progesterone to balance it). I recommend this book to answer all questions about hormone theraly. "Natural Hormone Balance" by Uzzi Reiss. THE man.
Unread 11-09-2010, 08:50 PM

Testosterone was the hormone that helped me in those areas. My estrogen was at a good level but I still had both a lack of memory and horrible concentration. Within a few days of starting testosterone replacement, I could tell a big difference with both of these symptoms, plus I had a happier disposition. :O)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register