Exercise after surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Exercise after surgery Exercise after surgery

Unread 07-29-2010, 06:34 AM
Exercise after surgery

Ladies, any of you that have had a hysterectomy done, I am looking for some guidance on physical activity afterwards! I was wondering how long it took a lot of you to be able to exercise again and did you have to ease back in to it? Do you get "pinges" of pain still after your procedure or not? I just want some guidance on this! I am pretty active and have really tried to be really good about it before my surgical date to help improve the quality of life afterwards. I heard that weight gain is inevitable after this procedure so I am trying to be healthier now! Let me know your insight on this please! Thank you ladies! I love all of my sisters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-29-2010, 06:41 AM
Re: Exercise after surgery

Oh yeah, I should add that I am having it done via Da Vinci method!
Unread 07-29-2010, 10:20 AM

Hello jan81,

I had a LAVH on June 29th, just four weeks ago, and I'm back in the pool, swimming some laps, but not pushing too hard.

My surgeon cleared me for walking, walking in the pool and light swimming at 2 weeks, but I was just too weak to really start getting back into anything until late last week.

I teach Pilates and am an active triathlete, but I have let all those things slide while I heal. I will go back to teaching Pilates at the 6 week mark, but I plan on sitting and instructing the class. I may do some of the light stretches, but I don't want to hurt myself. As for the tri training, I am just swimming a few laps, will walk instead of run and won't be getting back on the bike until much later.

I have read that some gals feel up to nearly anything almost immediately, but for me, that was not the case.

I wish you the very best!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-29-2010, 10:40 AM

I've been reading a thread about this on the post op board and I think everyone is different.

I had a TVH 8 days ago (no incisions). I have been trying to walk as much as I can each day, and each day is different. I take 5-15 minute walks about 3 times each day, and a couple of times, I have done a 1.5 mile loop in our neighborhood on a flat surface very slowly.

Some people only feel up to walking a few steps to the mailbox and back the first couple of weeks, so it really depends.

As for the weight gain, I think that depends, too. I came home from the hospital with a 14lb. water weight gain, but that came off in the first couple of days, and I have lost a couple of pounds additional. I am a little overweight but not a lot, and pretty much eating when I am hungry or when I need to take my meds, which seems fairly often.

Diana
TVH Kept Left Ovary 07/21/2010
43yo
Unread 07-29-2010, 11:03 AM

I had my LSH on July 12. Yes you have to ease back into physical activity. Starting back to physical activity can cause adhesions and bleeding. I haven't gained any weight since my surgery I am the same weight I was before. I am also looking forward to working out. I haven't been able to work out I mean really work out since I had my daughter 2 1/2 years ago so I am looking forward to it! Just eat healthy lots of fruits and veggies...Which you'll really need to help you poop and a lot of water!! You should be fine...Taking care of yourself during recovery will help you to be able to work out after you are completely healed!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register